E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 vs snow????

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='739506' date='Dec 6 2008, 01:43 PM
E60 handles the snow and ice very well!
But you really do need winter tires. I have studded ones, but that could be exaggeration for you.

Driving in snow is just a thing you have to learn. You have to understand that it is not dry asphalt and everything will go fine.
And even if the car has DSC, you just can't rely only on that and push the pedal to the metal.

Great situations to learn to control your right foot on a throttle are start offs on snowy uphills. If you push the pedal too hard, the DSC will let the wheels spin and the game is lost. Learn to be gentle on snow .

Greetings from Finland!
"gentle"... hmmmm WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!!!??? im trying to talk hub into buying a quad for me and my son in the winter..(mostly me) not really working though.. Ill work on that "gentle" thing being that there calling for light snow here in n.y tomorrow..
Old 12-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Um, what's snow???
Old 12-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='739558' date='Dec 6 2008, 02:00 PM
Um, what's snow???
Now that we've had the obligatory "West Coast chime-in"

I'm in MN and went through the first snow last night with my 08 550...Handled everything like a dream - solid as heck..This is my 4th rwd bimmer in the snowbelt - hook yourself up with a good dedicated winter set-up and you'll be fine.

I went with 18" Dunlop Winter 3D and Sport A7's. I like them a lot. Another poster (drlev) has had some issues with a tire or wheel out of whack on his set..

I've had very good luck with Blizzak LM22's in the past too..I've also had a set of Blizzak WS50's- but they were way too soft for my tastes..

Doing some homework is key -- or you'll end-up with something you don't care for.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

key is snow tires not summer tire unless u wanna get killed. all season sucks too. i killed a set of all seasons with one winter driving about 8000 miles
Old 12-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Need a grip? --> Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 225/50 R17 .

Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='739584' date='Dec 6 2008, 10:39 PM
Need a grip? --> Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 225/50 R17 .
They are spike tires but the Nokian RSi's are the same crap as the Nokian Q's where.
They are so soft, that the torgue of my car activates the DSC all the time.

Winter tires should be spikeless Continentals, either ContiWinterContact TS 810 (or -Sport) for Europe
and less snowy areas or then the ContiVikingContact5 for the real winter conditions!

They have won all the tests.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Hate to beat a dead horse... You will definitely need snow tires!!! I thought I would be fine with my stock sport 18's... Ha!!! The car didn't know what to do... I waited a little too long because I didn't want to buy just any snow tire... Jokes on me. I ended up getting Kuhmo winter tires. They are not bad. In fact they are wonderful compared to my stock performance summers....

Tonymac

(P.S. driving in the snow with an e60 winter setup is awesome fun)
Old 12-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Members

My Ride: Present: '06 W210 Former: '08 E60 LCI 520d, manual :), USB, Bluetooth, Navi Prof., Tow bar, PDC, Elec. seat w/mem.

Originally Posted by xxrap985xx' post='739475' date='Dec 6 2008, 02:07 PM
i got my 545i in april and this is going to be the first winter i havea rear wheel drive car.. i was wondering how does the car handle in snow?? should i be worried?? my friend has a 05 g35 coupe and that handles like shit in the snow. he cant go over 30 mphs in the snow.. is it going to be the same for me? any feedback will help.

P.S i do have the sport package if that make a difference.
I had my first experience driving an E60 (520d) in the snow two weeks ago. Driving in about 6 inches / 15 cm of snow, even with snow tires (metal-studded), it was not easy to handle. She fish-tailed in a way that I'm sure would score you points on the dance floor, but not on the race track. So far, this has been the only way my E60 has compared unfavorably with my previous (front wheel drive) Passat '05.

No doubt x-drive would come into its own in the snow.

Cheers, Stimpy
Old 12-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by xxrap985xx' post='739475' date='Dec 6 2008, 01:07 PM
i got my 545i in april and this is going to be the first winter i havea rear wheel drive car.. i was wondering how does the car handle in snow?? should i be worried?? my friend has a 05 g35 coupe and that handles like shit in the snow. he cant go over 30 mphs in the snow.. is it going to be the same for me? any feedback will help.

P.S i do have the sport package if that make a difference.
This will be my first snow season with an E60, and I can't wait to see how it handles. I'm expecting it to handle a little better than a rear wheel drive E60 as I own an all wheel drive version. I have to say that I have managed to drive well in snow with an E36 and an E46. They both had rear wheel drive, but, like the E60, they had a nearly perfect 50/50 weight split between the front and rear and never left me stuck in snow. I have not used snow tires since 1982, when I got my first front wheel drive with all-seasons. I would never drive faster than 30MPH in driving snow, no matter what I drive, and I would never drive on the highway, either. All the all-wheel drive cars can go pretty fast in snow, but when it comes to stopping, they all rely on the same 4 little patches of rubber touching the snow and that makes them just as vulnerable as any other car, snow tires or all seasons....

My educated guess is that it will handle just fine, as long as you use some common sense and go easy on the gas. One valuable tip: if you are about to take on a steep uphill, you would be better off disabling the DSC and DTC, as the engine will probably be close to shutting off by the time you reach half way. The manual will give you an accurate description on how to do this, but I believe you hit the DTC button once and then you hit it again and hold until the two triangles appear o the dashboard. Don't forget to put it back on, once you conquer the hill, as it will make your car less prone to slip sideways.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Members

There is a good reason why in countries like Germany dirvers are obliged to use winter tires in winter.

Personally I love them. On several occasions I drove up a slope in heavy snowfall with the greatest of ease while drivers without winter tires had to resort to snowchains (is this actually the correct term?)
The softer compound and the course profile are designed for these situations.

Did you know that winter tires also outperform 'normal' tires at outside temps below 7 degrees ? in terms of braking distance? (about 45 farenheit).
So also when it is not snowing you should consider them

Also keep in mind that PSI is the key. The wider your tires are in snowy/wet conditions the worse your traction will be.

Quick Reply: E60 vs snow????