E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lmk' post='291933' date='Jun 3 2006, 10:22 PM
Ed for inviting us to your new Home!
The pleasure was mine. Apologies if I had not been a good host.

BZSAB, you might also want to look at the following:

http://www.hartge.de/html/e60uk.html

http://www.hamann-motorsport.de/index_start_en.php
Old 06-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by eugeneloke' post='291859' date='Jun 3 2006, 04:29 PM
Reasons why i chose SLK over Z4

We are of course comparing the V6 SLK280 and SLK 350 with the Z43.0 not the asthmatic SLK200 kompressor (which is a lousy excuse for a roadster)

(1) handling
I found the Z4 a little too sharp for my liking
The SLK was a better all rounder in day-to-day driving
The new improved rack & pinion steering sure beat the recirculating ball of the last model
The 7G-tronic seven gear auto is a sweet box - very smooth & at kickdowns it would come down 2 gears if you manually downshift with the steptronic paddle on steering wheel
The Z4's R6 3.0 sweet-six is the better engine - but the merc V6 is quite smooth but lacks the refinement we are all used to in our bimmers. (this was one point that gave me some cause for concern & i tested & retested the SLK over & over again till i finally decided to take the plunge)

(2) styling
Unfortunately in this class of cars styling is a big consideration for most (some would put this before performance hence the pervasiveness of the asthmatic SLK200)
I find the SLK's styling less controversial but Z4 is still bigger head turner (for both the pple who like it & loathe it)

(3) Interior
The Z4's spartan interior just has too much "empty" space - the large reflective metal piece on the dash was irritating when i took an afternoon testdrive at 3pm. Also no idrive!!
The SLK's feels more luxurious & well appointed. The buttons can be confusing but the overall feel of quality is HIGHER than the bimmer's
Also i ordered the Vavona wood trimmed steering wheel, handbrake, door handles & gear shifter & maybe i am getting old but am starting to prize wood fittings over aluminium
The seats in both cars are not suited for long drives.
The driving position in the SLK is better - giving a better all round view & a more cushioned & pampered feel
Also could not bear with the wind noise in the Z4 (common rag top problem) even stationary with top up you can hear a fair bit of road noise

With the top down in the Z4 the turbulence was horrible - the SLK has better aerodynamics even without
drought stop. You should see the sales lady's hair at the end of the Z4 test drive & I wasnt going all that fast - only took the top down outside Hin Lung at Leng Kee.

(4) Price
PML was willing to cut prices for ex-stock down to $205k for Z4 3.0
C&C refused to give even 1 cent of discount so SLK280 is $210,888
watch the options though - i ended up paying $25k extra for the following options - some installed locally:
-Vavona wood trim package
-AMG 18" multispoke alloys
-AMG bodykit
-Reverse sensors
-Cornering xenons
-Transparent drought stop
-iPOD integration

(5) depreciation
I am quite upset with PML's massive price cuts during any model's lifetime
I lost big time on my E60 520
So this was a consideration as well having noticed how the older generation SLK R170 held value better

(6) Service
We all know it - PML service leaves much to be desired
C&C having moved to NEW MB Centre is really turning up the charm & sales pple are more attentive & being in spanking new showroom helps the overall car buying experience & I was suckered more quickly to hand over $230k - like Ed says - "just leave" - I don't even bother to complain anymore - wife's 523i was stuck in Kg Arang for TWO days for routine oil change service. Maybe a Lexus next? or another merc?.........
Wow... a very well written piece indeed.. I dunno why I have never considered the SLK... probably influenced by the previous SLK's effeminate charms... Would a relatively big guy like me (ard 1.83m) be able to fit comfortably?

Which Sales did you go to at C&C? I might pop down later... would they allow a test drive? I only saw the "asthmatic" SLK200 and the V6 350... I didn't realised they have a 280 (3.0l)... What are the 0-100kmh (in auto) and bhp/torque vital stats like?

Is the iPod integration a "real integration" or via AUX?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 1628' post='291864' date='Jun 3 2006, 05:04 PM
hi,
my 360 also says 3 days....but main status is awaiting for stock..so i guess that means when they have stock ie 3 days later then they start to send it out from uk then that will be 7days later.

currently they dont have any stock...we shall see.

are you sure they have stock for you, what is the status?
Order 65UC-019B-C973
Order Placed: 29/05/2006 08:43:32 London UK Time
Main Status: Awaiting Stock
Explanation: We are currently awaiting the stock required to fulfil your order.
02/06/2006 Sent email - Order Confirmation

Remaining to be shipped:
Nuvi 360 (European Maps) Estimated 2 Days

I certainly hope the two days is ETA....
Old 06-03-2006, 07:40 PM
lmk
Contributors

i ordered 3 hours later than you, still 7 days! perpetual!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:47 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='291991' date='Jun 4 2006, 12:48 AM
the hamann body kit has the side intake on the fender, look like the M5.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Members

Ed - thanks for inviting all of us to your place. Its very well done and I like your dog

All - sorry I had to leave so early. It was real nice meeting everyone for the first time. I will try and come for all the future gatherings.

Cheers,
CK (aka Beagle)
Old 06-03-2006, 08:38 PM
lmk
Contributors

for those who need the malsingmaps .img which i have consolidated, PM me your email address and i will send it to you via email.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by lmk' post='291933' date='Jun 3 2006, 09:22 AM
Ed and the Gang!

First of all, Thank you Ed for inviting us to your new Home!
Very cosy and nice.
The curry was good and i forgotten to pack home some...

Anyway, it was a nice gtg and as usual the jokes of wing flaps and all other gossips.
We now got a new mod king, hey Tony, your ride is sooooo much better now, when we have time, we shall go for a spin and some prata!

Thanks Ed.

no lah, i not mod king.i think i got less gadgets than you.i caught the virus from you and bugaboo.

slfx 33 i think you got the wrong guy you saw someone else ride...all my gadgets have been removed try pm lmk or bugaboo they are the founders.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Hi SFL33:

for the money i am paying for the interface it had better be real. They have rigged up a sample in the ML - ask for Brian 92785659 at C&C - say you got his number from me - I tested the SLK350 as well - am cheapo dont want to pay the govt so much tax.

the AMG kit with quad exhaust mod makes the slk a bit more macho
anyway this new model alot less like a hair-desser's car to begin with even without kits.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Senior Members

Hi Edlee

Thank you very much for the invitation and my apologies for having to leave so soon. Would love to stay longer and enjoy your place more; not forgetting the good company

Come to think of it, it might be a good idea to have a gtg at Upper Pierce one day, I am sure we would enjoy the ride and the greenery. A group photoshoot would be nice if show force; what say you people? Perhaps a Sunday morning .... fresh air, birds .... and monkeys too ...

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans