E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 02:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by totoseow' post='237083
Originally Posted by Yankee' post='235910' date='Feb 7 2006, 08:18 AM
[quote name='1628' post='235656' date='Feb 6 2006, 11:28 AM']
hi

need help on mac mini.i have installed it but the resolution is very bad i can hardly make out the fonts graphics etc.
the docking icons on the bottom is very fuzzy.

what must i do to improve this

TIA
Change the sesolution setting on the mac-mini to lowest resolution( either with PAL or NSTC). The deafult that you have now is very high and E60 screen cannot show this resolution. This would solve yopur problem you have now.

Just a few words of caution, the setting would go back to the default once you cycle the MAC power. You would also see that the screen is off and need to adjust the V and H on the video convertor. Also the video setting on the convertor does not store permanantly.

I had contacted the manufacturer and working out something on this, would keep all of you in the loop once it is materialised. Most likely would chnage to the new version of video convertor.

Good luck.
maybe you can try this.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69299

setting (640 x 480) screen resolution for bootup/startup
If you guys are trying to get your screen resolution to stay at a resolution that OS X won't load to, follow these instructions:

1) Download cscreen and save to desktop.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19753
It is a command line utility to allow screen changes.
2) Once it has been saved and a Disk Image has appeared on your desktop, open terminal and type in:
sudo cp /Volumes/cscreen/cscreen /usr/bin
3) Open Applescript Editor. Keep in mind you can set whatever numbers you want for your resolution (eg. 640 x 480 or 800 x 600). You can also set your refresh rate (eg. 60).
On Applescript type in:
on run

do shell script "cscreen -x 640 -y 480 -r 75"

end run
4) Hit Run button on top of Applescript editor to see if it works. If it does, go ahead and save it as an "Application." This will be under File Format on the Save As window. You can save it anywhere you want, the Documents folder is probably the best place.
5) Then go to System Preferences and pick "Accounts", then pick "Login Items" tab. There you can add the applescript that you have just created.
6) Restart your computer to see if it works.

Goodluck.
[/quote]

thanks for the info.
i find the mac mini in the glove box not suitable..any other place to install at the front
Old 02-09-2006, 04:35 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by 1628' post='237214
guys the stainless steel brake lines r here. i forgot who ordered. only eggz i remember....call me 96817989

me also ordered will go and get it installed tomoro reserve for me leh

Originally Posted by bugaboo' post='236673
Originally Posted by 1628' post='235656' date='Feb 6 2006, 11:28 AM
hi

need help on mac mini.i have installed it but the resolution is very bad i can hardly make out the fonts graphics etc.
the docking icons on the bottom is very fuzzy.

what must i do to improve this

TIA
Change the sesolution setting on the mac-mini to lowest resolution( either with PAL or NSTC). The deafult that you have now is very high and E60 screen cannot show this resolution. This would solve yopur problem you have now.

Just a few words of caution, the setting would go back to the default once you cycle the MAC power. You would also see that the screen is off and need to adjust the V and H on the video convertor. Also the video setting on the convertor does not store permanantly.

I had contacted the manufacturer and working out something on this, would keep all of you in the loop once it is materialised. Most likely would chnage to the new version of video convertor.

Good luck.
maybe you can try this.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69299

setting (640 x 480) screen resolution for bootup/startup
If you guys are trying to get your screen resolution to stay at a resolution that OS X won't load to, follow these instructions:

1) Download cscreen and save to desktop.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19753
It is a command line utility to allow screen changes.
2) Once it has been saved and a Disk Image has appeared on your desktop, open terminal and type in:
sudo cp /Volumes/cscreen/cscreen /usr/bin
3) Open Applescript Editor. Keep in mind you can set whatever numbers you want for your resolution (eg. 640 x 480 or 800 x 600). You can also set your refresh rate (eg. 60).
On Applescript type in:
on run

do shell script "cscreen -x 640 -y 480 -r 75"

end run
4) Hit Run button on top of Applescript editor to see if it works. If it does, go ahead and save it as an "Application." This will be under File Format on the Save As window. You can save it anywhere you want, the Documents folder is probably the best place.
5) Then go to System Preferences and pick "Accounts", then pick "Login Items" tab. There you can add the applescript that you have just created.
6) Restart your computer to see if it works.

Goodluck.
[/quote]

thanks for the info.
i find the mac mini in the glove box not suitable..any other place to install at the front
[/quote]
in the trunk
Old 02-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 523iA

Hi guys....
I want to lower my ride but have got many conflicting (maybe its me) recommendations. I dont push the car hard and dont track. All I want is for car to look better (lower) whilst maintaining ride comfort.

Someone recommended me to just change the springs and maintain the suspension. Is this the way to go? Was told this was the cheapest option at about $500. Question is, if whole set cost just over $1K then should I just change the entire set to say KW Var 1?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='237704' date='Feb 10 2006, 01:11 AM
Hi guys....
I want to lower my ride but have got many conflicting (maybe its me) recommendations. I dont push the car hard and dont track. All I want is for car to look better (lower) whilst maintaining ride comfort.

Someone recommended me to just change the springs and maintain the suspension. Is this the way to go? Was told this was the cheapest option at about $500. Question is, if whole set cost just over $1K then should I just change the entire set to say KW Var 1?
I don't know much about suspension but I do know that once you lower, the ride comfort will suffer. It's only to what degree is it affected.

Also, if I remember correctly, it's normally not recommended to change just the spring because the setup then wouldn't be optimal. I stand corrected on this though. Btw 500 and 1K, I probably would go for the latter to save possible headache, unless you know what you are doing. But I don't think KW var 1 is 1K. It's over 2K I think.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:11 PM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

[QUOTE=Stranger;237720]
Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='237704' date='Feb 10 2006, 01:11 AM
Hi guys....
two cents worth..
i went from 18" runflats normal suspension to non runflats then 19" tyres and sport suspension and the ride is still fine and comfortable to me. The 18" runflats are really hard.
I do however realise that the 16" on the 520i or 17" on the 523i i've driven is more supple aka bouncy (from tyre perspective). if that equates to comfort then i suggest stay with the current spring.
Just remember if you change to shorter springs, it will load on your shock absorber life.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 523iA

Originally Posted by zag' post='237727' date='Feb 10 2006, 04:11 PM
two cents worth..
i went from 18" runflats normal suspension to non runflats then 19" tyres and sport suspension and the ride is still fine and comfortable to me. The 18" runflats are really hard.
I do however realise that the 16" on the 520i or 17" on the 523i i've driven is more supple aka bouncy (from tyre perspective). if that equates to comfort then i suggest stay with the current spring.
Just remember if you change to shorter springs, it will load on your shock absorber life.
So, if I do change the entire set, what should I go for? Remembering that I only want aesthetics and ride comfort, what is the most economical choice of suspensions?

Stranger, $1K+ for KW Var 1 was quoted by a bmw.sg site sponser. He mentioned that, based on my requirements, the Var 1 with variable height adjustments will suffice.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Members

My Ride: E60

STOPTECH SS Brakelines

StopTech stainless steel brake lines improve pedal feel and reduce the amount of time between applied pedal pressure and actual deceleration by preventing expansion, which stock rubber flex lines allow.

This provides a quicker pedal response, and allows the driver to maintain consistent brake pressure and precision brake modulation.

StopTech brake lines consist of a Teflon? inner line that is covered with a layer of stainless steel woven braid.

The Teflon tube is very resistant to expansion under pressure and will not degrade from exposure to brake fluid.

The stainless steel braid provides support for the Teflon and the weave is extremely durable against incidental impact and abrasion.

StopTech brake lines feature a Clear Abrasion Resistant Cover for maximum protection against chaffing

All StopTech Stainless Steel Brake Lines are DOT (United States Department of Transportation) compliant and 100% tested to a pressure of 4500 psi.

My stock just arrived!!

I have 8 sets for E60 (complete front & rear) but 5 already taken, left only 3 sets!!!

Contact me ASAP yah!! 96905511

Cheers

'The Great White'
Old 02-11-2006, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

I'm definitely a PS2 convert now. Another Sepang trackday and the new tyres shaved 4secs off the lap time compared to the crappy runflats! Got a best time of 2min56secs (with transponder). Previously, I couldn't get it below 3mins no matter how hard I tried. I felt much more able to go on the limit this time around in terms of corning speeds.

The brakes on the E60 are still the biggest problem, sometimes after 1 hot lap, you can already feel the sponginess. Pity I couldn't get the Stoptechs brakelines installed in time....

Had 2 spins. first one was on a dry track, oversteering on turn 8 (expecting too much from the PS2 I think), caught it the first time, but couldn't catch the 2nd (should have lifted off earlier) I think it was a 360, felt a bit bad coz lots of tyre smoke , also my tyre pressure was too high when they got warmed up. Got lazy and didn't reduce pressure after arriving at Sepang. Once pressure was reduced, the lap times improved. Seems like 2.9 bar is about right.

2nd spin was worse, it was on a wet track (started raining at about 11:30am), decided to try some drifting. Quite fun initially, surface at Sepang is nice and smooth, but got carried away, I think it was turn 9, oversteering again caught the first one and it snapped back and I lost it, this time it was I think 720, ended up on the grass with an active-steering failure message :'( . Needed to restart the engine to clear it, after that it was straight back to the pit lane and called it a day

Have to agree with Zag, the E60 with the stock suspension is just not good on the limit. Dynamic drive can only do so much and it will not react quick enough in oversteering situations. When the back comes out and you try and catch it, there's a tendency to snap back the other way as the weight of the rear gets thrown about with the roll, it's just too unpredictable and not progressive enough. So different from the E90 330i at IDT (those have sports suspension).

Lots of exotics including 3 Ferraris (2 Challenge Stradale and a F430 spider), a bright orange Gallardo, lots of Porsches, 996 TurboS, a 996 C4S, a 997 C2S, a996 GT3, a BoxsterS (lady driver) oh and a Noble M400. BTW, the TurboS was the fastest car that day.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Senior Members

Here a pic from the track day
E60 for Singaporeans-bmw_sepang__10th_feb_06_071.jpg
Old 02-12-2006, 04:36 AM
Senior Members

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans