E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 10:37 AM
zag
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Oct 2 2005, 02:19 AM
[quote name='zag' date='Oct 1 2005, 11:04 PM']Guys if you have not check your filter for the last 12 months, I suggest you do that, the sponge lining on the filter housing are turning into powder when you handle them. I have chunks on them dropping off inside the air box compartment.
[snapback]177696[/snapback]
I have never checked. Where is the filter located? I thought the iDrive will prompt me, or PML will check when I sent my car in for servicing.

Finally installed the Hot Inazima voltage stabilizer. Wow! The gear change seems smoother and the engine is more reponsive. And its easier to crank the engine now.

[snapback]177770[/snapback]
[/quote]

The intake muffler is the square box on the right side of the engine compartment. just remember totoseow has exotic looking gruppeM set up instead.
by the way, watch out not to drop the clips into the engine bay when removing them. Otherwise it will be hard to fosh them out.

How tedious is the voltage stabiliser set up?
Old 10-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Oct 2 2005, 02:19 AM
Finally installed the Hot Inazima voltage stabilizer.
Where can I try this voltage stabalizer?
I have always been under the impression that my rough idling (shakes and vibrations from the engine) is being caused by either a battery with too low amp rating. I've been telling PML who just don't want to listen; therefore, if I can prove it, then I'll go back there and force the issue on them.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:39 PM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Oct 2 2005, 09:56 AM
[quote name='tategoi' date='Oct 2 2005, 02:19 AM']Finally installed the Hot Inazima voltage stabilizer.
Where can I try this voltage stabalizer?
I have always been under the impression that my rough idling (shakes and vibrations from the engine) is being caused by either a battery with too low amp rating. I've been telling PML who just don't want to listen; therefore, if I can prove it, then I'll go back there and force the issue on them.
[snapback]177962[/snapback]
[/quote]

from my limited knowledge of car electronics, a voltage stabiliser is nothing more than a "transformer" boosting a higher voltage to the ignition coil thus the spark plugs. this in theory can create a more "complete" or "stronger" spark when ignited.

therefore some mfg recommend good grounding, this enable better returns and stabilise the Hi tension to the coil and plugs.

2 sides of the coin:

1. a more complete spark may over burn the resistor in the plugs (life of plugs suffers)
2. a complete burn of air fuel mixture, burning including the oil on the side walls of the piston cylinder walls. (premature wear of cylinder sleeves)

smoother, responsive engines after installing, true, but the agileness will die off after awhile.

Ed,

take alook at this if you need more info about your burn timing.

http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnostic....gif&email=true

look at this"

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/new.asp

EETM303A

this gadget can allow the tech to determine whether you ride is buring the right timing.

i used this to scan my E60 with the latest 2004 cartrigde software.

http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diagnostic....gif&email=true

p.s. use this tool only with qualified technicians.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the pointers, lmk.

I was trained in the old school engines without electronic ignition, etc. Therefore all this is quite foreign to me.

The problem I am currently (and has always been) experiencing is that sometimes the car begins to shake like a diesel taxi whilst idling. The rpm also does not stabalise at one point; instead it fluctuates all the time whilst idling. I can feel thru the steering wheel as if the engine timing is set too high but the rpm shows otherwise. It reads between 600 to 700 rpm.

PML has tried to understand my problems many times but found nothing wrong until recently when Dennis drove the car to Alexandra to meet Torseten. It was only then that he realised what I was always complaining about. (that long huh - after about 9 months shuffling between office, home and PML)

They then adjusted the valve clearence, upgraded software, changed spark plugs, etc and claimed that the problem was solved. However, the problem came back after less than 5 Km. They now want me to leave my ride with them so that they can diagnose the whole process and in the meantime loan me either a camry or 520. I don't feel comfortable driving other's car and so told them to wait till my M arrives and they will have the 545 for a reasonable period of time.

All the time I have been noticing shakes and funny engine behavior whilst idling. However, after the recent upgrade, I found that my steering shudders slightly at between 80 - 90Km and when I decrease speed. I thought initially that my wheels were not balanced and sent the ride to Chin Wah twice for wheel balancing. It didn't help. I can't help thinking now that the problems have now become worse.

I only hope that given the amount of time I will let PML have my ride, they will finally solve the problems. If they still cannot solve the problem, then I will ask for a brand new engine.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:44 AM
Senior Members

eggs there is one enzo here...tommy goh's its 5 mio for ur info. but..i knew it to be not registered. go to 2, ridley park...its parked there next to f50, n zonda. thats the only 1 here. i m wondering if its not registered how did he drive it on the road? its left hand drive...they all are.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:47 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Oct 2 2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the pointers, lmk.

I was trained in the old school engines without electronic ignition, etc.? Therefore all this is quite foreign to me.

The problem I am currently (and has always been) experiencing is that sometimes the car begins to shake like a diesel taxi whilst idling.? The rpm also does not stabalise at one point; instead it fluctuates all the time whilst idling.? I can feel thru the steering wheel as if the engine timing is set too high but the rpm shows otherwise.? It reads between 600 to 700 rpm.

PML has tried to understand my problems many times but found nothing wrong until recently when Dennis drove the car to Alexandra to meet Torseten.? It was only then that he realised what I was always complaining about. (that long huh - after about 9 months shuffling between office, home and PML) ?

They then adjusted the valve clearence, upgraded software, changed spark plugs, etc and claimed that the problem was solved.? However, the problem came back after less than 5 Km.? They now want me to leave my ride with them so that they can diagnose the whole process and in the meantime loan me either a camry or 520.? I don't feel comfortable driving other's car and so told them to wait till my M arrives and they will have the 545 for a reasonable period of time.

All the time I have been noticing shakes and funny engine behavior whilst idling.? However, after the recent upgrade, I found that my steering shudders slightly at between 80 - 90Km and when I decrease speed.? I thought initially that my wheels were not balanced and sent the ride to Chin Wah twice for wheel balancing.? It didn't help.? I can't help thinking now that the problems have now become worse.

I only hope that given the amount of time I will let PML have my ride, they will finally solve the problems.? If they still cannot solve the problem, then I will ask for a brand new engine.
[snapback]178070[/snapback]
i am not sure what have they done (usually nothing as far as i know PML. so as not to get into deeper trouble)

A more in depth tech will try various method like

1. swop an ECU. this is the heart that controls the engines management, especially your valvetronic engine is mapped to control the gas when the engine is cold. the mapping may not be at optimum at idling when hot.
2. By-pass the catalytic convertor. this feedback to the ECU. just remove the feedback loop.
3. remove the NOX sensor. always the culprit for inconsistent idling.
4. remove the speed limiter. ( this can be done by the scanner that PML uses)

i am sure there are some guys who knows better than me, but trying different ways can diagnose many unheard of issues that our cars is running on.

you may want to talk to them and check what have they actually tried on your ride.

Did their consultant survey you>? i got it, i gave alot of geniune commets and feedback.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lmk' date='Oct 2 2005, 06:47 PM
A more in depth tech will try various method like

1. swop an ECU. this is the heart that controls the engines management, especially your valvetronic engine is mapped to control the gas when the engine is cold. the mapping may not be at optimum at idling when hot.
2. By-pass the catalytic convertor. this feedback to the ECU. just remove the feedback loop.
3. remove the NOX sensor. always the culprit for inconsistent idling.
4. remove the speed limiter. ( this can be done by the scanner that PML uses)

i am sure there are some guys who knows better than me, but trying different ways can diagnose many unheard of issues that our cars is running on.

you may want to talk to them and check what have they actually tried on your ride.

Did their consultant survey you>? i got it, i gave alot of geniune commets and feedback.
[snapback]178079[/snapback]
Nothing of that sort. Anyway, I'll leave it to them to sort the problems later.

The surveyors NEVER get good feedback from me.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:29 AM
Senior Members

I already had grounding when I upgraded my stereo almost a year ago. The Hot Inazma was not installed then because in E-Class the steering wheel became stiff with the volatage stabilizer. Only recently I found out that another member here had installed the Hot Inazima with no problem. I din't feel any effect with super grounding, but the voltage stabilizer is Hot

Ed, steering wheel wobbling when slowing down? A warp brake disc maybe?
Old 10-02-2005, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

Zag, the voltage stabilizer can be installed in 30 minutes.

I opened the box and took out the air filter, yeah boy, the sponge is disintegrating, I wonder why there is this layer of sponge. Does the K&N got that piece of sponge as well?
Old 10-02-2005, 05:15 AM
lmk
Contributors

Originally Posted by tategoi' date='Oct 2 2005, 08:56 PM
Zag, the voltage stabilizer can be installed in 30 minutes.

I opened the box and took out the air filter, yeah boy, the sponge is disintegrating, I wonder why there is this layer of sponge. Does the K&N got that piece of sponge as well?
[snapback]178101[/snapback]
tategoi,

is this the same as your stabiliser?

K&N makes good filter. i wonder too why PML did not clean it off during servicing or they did not check it at all~???
Attached Thumbnails E60 for Singaporeans-hot_in.jpg  

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans