E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 - 520i Dec 2004 built Previous 320i for 5 years

Originally Posted by lmk' post='213466' date='Dec 19 2005, 11:01 PM
for those who is wondering why TV 5 and 8 is bad compared to TV mobile.

http://sgsoundsystem.com/viewtopic.php?t=2...er=asc&start=15
Have anyone ever notice or watch Channel 8/5 ( not TV Mobile) on those ferry to Batam and Bintan ? They are quite clear except for some disturbance occasionally. I believe it is the digital channel and a better receiver then those we have. So, we should be able to receive the same quaility if we can find the right part.

I saw one in Sim Lim Sqaure( not Tower) that is mend for home and accept 240VAC instead of 12VDC. I might buy one and try it out on my car to see the quality. Would let you guys know of the result after my experiment.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by Yankee' post='213791
for those who is wondering why TV 5 and 8 is bad compared to TV mobile.

http://sgsoundsystem.com/viewtopic.php?t=2...er=asc&start=15
Have anyone ever notice or watch Channel 8/5 ( not TV Mobile) on those ferry to Batam and Bintan ? They are quite clear except for some disturbance occasionally. I believe it is the digital channel and a better receiver then those we have. So, we should be able to receive the same quaility if we can find the right part.

I saw one in Sim Lim Sqaure( not Tower) that is mend for home and accept 240VAC instead of 12VDC. I might buy one and try it out on my car to see the quality. Would let you guys know of the result after my experiment.
[/quote]

I can't see LMK's link. But based on my limited knowledge of digital TV transmission, this is what I understand.

A moving vehicle will experience doppler effect. The faster it goes the more severe the effect. DTV is using OFDM modulation which will be affected by doppler.

The other thing is multipath and fading. These exist even when the vehicle is not moving but becomes worse when the vehicle is moving.

But in any case, you won't watch TV while moving, right?

Got my mirror folding option back. Took only 10-15 minutes. So it's a bit setting "thing" after all. That makes more sense.

I asked about the brake force display and was told it's still illegal in Singapore?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' post='213460
Edlee, how's the filters going? Any notice differences?
Will try some high speed runs later on and see if there's any marked improvement.
[/quote]
Okay, gave the car a good go at Tuas yesterday around lunch time. I don't really feel any difference. Frankly I really didn't expect much from just a change of air filter. The car seems to "breathe" slightly better, thereby resulting in more willing rpm response and thats it.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Senior Members

Got my video i/f and cam installed. The guys are good; very professional. Spent more than 3 hours to do the work.

One question: When I off the engine, the screen instead of going blank will now show interlaced white lines for a short while. See the picture. Any of you has this?

E60 for Singaporeans-dsc00253.jpg

The cam is very small. 1/4" CCD. Can't really see it from behind. But it's a wide angle; so have to calibrate what I see on the screen with the real distance. Quality quite good but a bit slow to warm up.

E60 for Singaporeans-dsc00254.jpg

E60 for Singaporeans-dsc00255.jpg
Old 12-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Members

Cool stranger!

So where did you get the camera installed? Was it at Pin Liang?

Cheers
Tubbs
Old 12-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tubbee' post='214212' date='Dec 21 2005, 08:18 PM
Cool stranger!

So where did you get the camera installed? Was it at Pin Liang?

Cheers
Tubbs
Tubbee, no I did not. I got the camera myself (thanks to bugaboo) and got someone recommended by the good people here. BTW, you can't just install the cam like that. That's why the talk of video i/f earlier in this thread.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 523iA

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='214206' date='Dec 22 2005, 09:10 AM
One question: When I off the engine, the screen instead of going blank will now show interlaced white lines for a short while. See the picture. Any of you has this?
Same problems faced with the screen when engine is turned off! Interlaced white lines appear for about 2 seconds.

Anyway, the installers are comming back to sort out whining sound when TV Tuner is on and also my iPOD cable issues. Hope things work out.

Seriously considering adding better antennae for tuner. Ed, what's your advice? By the way, having some other problems with the Tuner. It doesnt come on most of the time when I start the car! Have to re-start car a couple of times before image appears! Anyone having the same problem?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='214229' date='Dec 21 2005, 08:57 PM
Seriously considering adding better antennae for tuner. Ed, what's your advice? By the way, having some other problems with the Tuner. It doesnt come on most of the time when I start the car! Have to re-start car a couple of times before image appears! Anyone having the same problem?
So you were the one with the tuner not on all the time problem. I did not go for tv cause I don't watch ch5 & 8, and I don't spend so much time in the car. And because all of you complained about the quality.

I was recommended to get a 2 antenna system. That actually confirms what I said ealier. This would be a system with antenna diversity to combat multipath and fading.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 - 520i Dec 2004 built Previous 320i for 5 years

Originally Posted by BZSAB' post='214229
Same problems faced with the screen when engine is turned off! Interlaced white lines appear for about 2 seconds.

Anyway, the installers are comming back to sort out whining sound when TV Tuner is on and also my iPOD cable issues. Hope things work out.

[/quote]

How was your ipod video on the screen? Does the remote control appears on the screen when using it?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 523iA

Originally Posted by Yankee' post='214251
Originally Posted by Stranger' post='214206' date='Dec 22 2005, 09:10 AM

How was your ipod video on the screen? Does the remote control appears on the screen when using it?
[/quote]

Yes! I am one of them. Since I can't receive Channel 5, 8 and CNA, I am tuned in, most of the time, to TV Mobile. I think it is great if signal is strong.

I dont really understand you question but here goes! iPOD menu only appears on screen when video is transferred via the Video Interface. As for video image clarity, it is very clear. Note that ripping CDs and DVDs takes some getting use to and know how.

Quick Reply: E60 for Singaporeans