E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Rear Tyre Wear

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve J
It was too much neg camber and toe out on the rear (from new) which caused our (Fiona & mine) tyres to shred to the wires on the rears. Check tyre pressures regularly, run standard tyres slightly higher pressure than the runflats and keep checking the inside edges. Had these tyres failed (and they were just about to) I would have lost both my wife and babies.
Cheers steve, do you know what settings you have on your car now and how they compare to the standard set up so I can tell the guy down the garage what to set it up as because he was convinced in was already correct.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Members

I have sort of the same problem with my 2006 525i on 19 m6 wheels. I get maybe 10k on rear and somewhere around 20 on front.19/275/35 on the rear.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:49 AM
Members

UPDATE

Apologies for the delay in the update but it?s taken me a while to get this sorted out.

I originally booked the car in at a local garage who have the 4 wheel alignment equipment. Unfortunately it was one of these garages where you only get to speak to the receptionist rather than the guy with the spanner. After 10 min the receptionist give me my keys back and told me the car was fine and all the settings were all in spec. I questioned how it could possibly be right and eventually managed to get to talk to the guy who had done the check. He insisted it had been properly checked and that he had seen one other E60 and an E61 with identical wear and had put it down to them all being like that. Now I?m o expert of suspension geometry but if you have a tyre that can wear through to the canvas on the inside 15mm but still have 4-5mm of tread on the rest of the tyre there are clearly issues.

I therefore decided to try another garage that a friend had recommended. Now this place is a proper old school tyre fitting centre, there are no health and safety signs about, no pretty receptionist and they don?t mind you wandering round their garage and standing under your own car. The guy in there got the car up on the ramps, fitted the measuring gear, brought it up on the screen and guess what, it was out of spec from the factory settings.
As you can see from the screen shot below and the print out, the car had too much camber on the rear and was toeing out, rather than toeing in, which would explain the tyres wearing on the inside edge. The front left was also out but this can be attributed to the wife clipping a curb earlier in the week.

Anyway, after a bit of adjustment the geometry was back in spec and new rear tyres fitted, a quick drive and the difference was obvious ? the new tyres have giving the car the rear end grip it was lacking and the car just feels more planted in the corners. I?m not sure how much of it is in my head but either way I?m happy knowing its back to how it should be.

Thanks for all your help on the matter.

E60 Rear Tyre Wear-photo.jpg

20101216133513414.pdf
Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Tunbridge
I?m having a few issues with the tyre wear on the rear of my 530i.

The inside edge (and I?m only talking the first inch or so) of the rear drivers side (right had drive car) wears out very quickly compared with the rest of the tyre.

When I bought the car it was on the 18? M-Sport rims with the run flat tyres. The rears still had about 4mm of tread left on them when I upgraded to 19? 172?s but to my horror when I removed the rears to change the tyre it was through to the canvas on the inside edge. I?d only had the car for a few months at the time and was lucky that the tyre hadn?t blow out. As its right on the inside edge you can?t even see the problem when the car is sat on the road.

I fitted my 19? 172?s and have had them on about a year now (covering about 10k miles) and the same is happening again. Took the car in for an MOT and the guy pointed out that the inside edge is badly worn (despite 95% of the tyre having 4-5mm of tread on it).

I?ve had the car checked for 4 wheel alignment and it is all perfectly as it should be which I just can?t understand. The guy at the tyre shop said he has seen at least 2 other 5 series the same, including an E61. There is clearly something not right here, especially as its just on one side and isolated to the very inside edge. It?s that extreme that I originally thought it would have to have been something like the inner arch rubbing the tyre to cause the wear to be so localised but there is no evidence of this being the case.

Has anyone else seen anything like this before?
I had the same problem last November when I had my car in for sticker inspection. Rear tires inner area was worn down to metal mesh. I replaced all 4 tires and had 4 wheels alignment done. BMW put very negative camber in rear wheels for performance. This is the trade off ...