E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Automatic Transmission 'Clunk' Noise After Starting The Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 11:38 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525D LCI
Default E60 Automatic Transmission 'Clunk' Noise After Starting The Engine (SOLVED)

Hello guys, I need your help!

I have BMW E60 525d LCI 2008 with 240,000km. When I start the engine I hear a clunk noise coming from the transmission. Sometimes its very soft, sometimes its very hard that the whole car even moves. And even sometimes the car starts perfectly fine without any clunks. All these clunk noises happen on warm engine, although very rarely happens on cold engine as well. This problem happens only when the car is in P mode, when I start the engine in N mode, no clunk, starts perfectly fine. Is there a problem with Parking brake or what?

I am going to change my automatic transmission fluid this month. Its been 80,000 km since the last ATF change so its time. I also gonna change
Transmission Mechatronic Sealing Sleeve+Adaptor Kit, because its probably never been changed before and everyone recommends changing them while doing the ATF change. After ATF change I would like to do transmission software update because it was never updated and I am sure it would improve transmission work especially after changing the fluid.

Who has faced this problem on your e60? Did you solve the problem? I really need your help. I've read a lot of discussions about this issue, many people say that sofware update is the way to fix it, but not for everyone software update fixed the issue.

Its a common issue on the LCI models, even BMW released a statement about this transmission clunk issue (open attached files), but I don't really understand what they are trying to say because I don't have enough knowledge about coding.

PROBLEM SOLVED! Automatic Transmission Software Update Fixed it! There is no more clunk noise from the gearbox when starting the car.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SIB 24 08 08.pdf (84.4 KB, 431 views)

Last edited by bmwe60fanatic; 12-11-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:24 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

What they say is that the clunk is from a self test that takes place when the car starts. It can be reduced by updating some software. I believe I have read in other places that the clunk is not harmful, but of course it is annoying. I've also read from some people that did update the software that the clunk didn't go away or didn't completely go away. My wife's old E70 had the issue now and then and I never did anything about it.
The following users liked this post:
bmwe60fanatic (11-02-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

They're basically saying to reprogram the entire vehicle, they're not going to state how-to.

It was much cheaper for me to pay someone else to update my modules vs me buying the equipment.
bmwe60fanatic (11-08-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 11:57 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 530i N53B30

I've had this issue for 2 years, and it seems completely random, and I mean random. Been trying several things and nothing seems to make the noise go away, or have some consistency for further diagnosis. I've tried:
  • Updating modules, didn't work
  • Putting it on park before the handbrake, no consistency of noise
  • Pulling the handbrake before putting it on park, no consistency of noise
  • Replacing the tranny fluid by dialysis, no difference
  • Pressing the brake a couple of times before starting, didn't work
  • Parking it on a slope, no consistency of noise
At this point, I can only think of 2 things that could be making the noise:
  • I've seem some threads where people mention that it could be some automatic diagnostics that the tranny module does before starting, and that it causes the noise sometimes, which could mean anything from replacing fluid, solenoids or a rebuild. I would think that this issue would have been fixed by the module update, but nothing
  • A couple mention it's the oil pump of the tranny: the theory is that it takes some time to build some pressure on the circuit, and the lack of pressure on some starts could make that noise. I discarded this after changing the fluid and not noticing any difference
  • The other thing that I didn't try is the starter. It could be the case that it sticks a bit on the flywheel and makes that noise upon retraction, along with a little jerk
The starter is the most probable cause for me, I would think, but it does seem to work fine, apart from the clunk, and replacing it is not the easiest DIY. I'll probably try replacing it when I have to rebuild the DISA valves or something related with the intake, as the starter sits just below it.
Until then I'll just live with it. Most people say that it's harmless, and it certainly doesn't seem to have caused any other issues, but at this point, I have nothing else to try. It is really annoying tho.
bmwe60fanatic (11-08-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 09:20 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525D LCI

PROBLEM SOLVED! Automatic Transmission Software Update Fixed it! There is no more clunk noise from the gearbox when starting the car.