E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 - 545i (actually it's the wifes car) Cold Weather Premium Sound Sport Package

Originally Posted by JDN' post='215530' date='Dec 25 2005, 11:52 AM
Looking forward to the pictures, Tony. Mine were 124s, and I'm wondering if yours were, too. I did not get anywhere with BMW on my wheels.

I have the 124's also. Fortunately, my wife talked me into the tire insurance when we bought the car. I thought it was a waste of money, but I guess she was right (WOW! That's a first...just kidding).
Old 12-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Smarty Marty - which specific dealer ? For some this is the answer before you ask the question, and you may need to apply persuasion !

Seems ridiculous to do that from hitting such a small hole (looks super smooth by much of our dire road standards), but I guess difficult to prove this was what caused the damage.

However, my dealer believed the (fallible i-drive) computer and not their customer on another technical problem, even with another independent BMW driver as witness
Old 12-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='215535' date='Dec 25 2005, 08:35 PM
Smarty Marty - which specific dealer ? For some this is the answer before you ask the question, and you may need to apply persuasion !

Seems ridiculous to do that from hitting such a small hole (looks super smooth by much of our dire road standards), but I guess difficult to prove this was what caused the damage.

However, my dealer believed the (fallible i-drive) computer and not their customer on another technical problem, even with another independent BMW driver as witness
what a disturbing topic,
when i read the original postings i got pretty worried about these rims ,i have the mtype sport rims153
because of our poor roads in the uk.particularly in rural areas where road surfaces use tar and grit maintenance in the winter they tend to get washed out and peel of ruts which arnt visible at night and in rain or awash roads. so i make it a priority to inspect the wheels each week .as we all should now seems daily inspections are to be the norm.
the local authoritys in the case of main roads are usually county councils.seems they now believe it to be cost effective to pay claims rather than maintain the roads,,,saving local taxes!
i think this forum has shown how usefull it is in collating this problem worldwide and country specific problems get uncovered and therefore deal sav is proven not to be accurate or honest as these problems and dare we ,yes there is ,a problem with the whheel tyre rim setup on our cars.
we the user who has parted with cash so far and not lives again has been a guinea pig of useage and testing.
we should atleast be acknowledged and believed when questioning these problems.not fobbed off with "you hit something tough luck...you pay.!its not the replacement cost its trust in the vehicle research...
we are now the researchers and take notice of it! bmw ford whoever..
identify the problem and get back to us all.
please use the forums for statements and knowledge base ,dont read annonimously ,come and post and discuss with us,after all we are your customers and future we will grow into a voice to be heard ,so get in early and learn what we want from ou cars... cupholders that dont fit cups bottles cans...design one that works and give us a cost replacement for xmas hahahah
seriously ,why do we have to guess about mp3 capability and availabily,why not bring us all up to speed on whats happening ,is it happening??
sorry about the rant fellas
just here avoiding the telly for five mins and getting my fix on the e60net..
merry christmas one and all and a safe journeys in 2006 in our cracked wheel bmw...
Old 12-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 545i (actually it's the wifes car) Cold Weather Premium Sound Sport Package

Merry Christmas! This hurts to look at... If you have a weak heart DO NOT CONTINUE!

E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked-imgp1924.jpg

Check out the new two piece rim by BWM/BBS
E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked-imgp1912.jpg

E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked-imgp1913.jpg

E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked-imgp1911.jpg

Notice the front of the rim in the background. I'm pretty sure it's not meant to do that.

E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked-imgp1923.jpg
Old 12-25-2005, 02:58 PM
JDN
Contributors

So far, it's always the style 124 that splits. That says DEFECTIVE to me.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 550-6spd

Originally Posted by JDN' post='215579' date='Dec 25 2005, 05:58 PM
So far, it's always the style 124 that splits. That says DEFECTIVE to me.
This is disturbing. I have an 06 550-6sp incoming in early Feb w/124's. Can victims of this problem post their mfg. date so that we can see if it is only early e60 124's with the problem?

Also, if anyone has had meaningful contact with BMW on this problem, please post.

Finally, I had an accident in a 6-week old e39 in 12-01. I suspected a failure in one of the auto's components and spent time speaking with the following individual at BMWNA. He is apparently a higher level problem handler. I suggest that he be contacted with the problem.

Special Product Team
Don Chamberlain
201-573-2118 T
201-930-8362 F
BMW North America
Customer Relations
1 BMW Plaza
Montvale NJ 07645

Please post any findings back on the site.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Scary thread guys..I would agree that this is totally unacceptable. A wheel and tyre is the important part of a car re safety, I think the evidence collected already on this thread should be sent to BMW a.s.a.p .
Its that damning I think action should be taken, its said that BMW are aware of this, but has anyone sent these latest pictures?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Maybe it is a combination of weak rim design and how tough the runflats are. Have all of the failures had runflats, thus transmitting the full blow to the rims?
Old 12-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 550-6spd

Further,

In addition to posting your build date, please also advise whether the wheel that cracked was a front or a rear.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Members

I guess we can rule out the Run Flats. I ride with Dunlop SP Sports on my car.

Quick Reply: E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked