E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005 | 05:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i... Alpine White, Black Dakota, Anthracite, Premiium 1+2, Sports Package, Comfort Access

You would think that the fact that the rim literally splits in half would be a serious enough safety issue that BMW would have done something by now. I know it would cost them a lot to replace all those rims, but does Firestone lawsuits mean anything. No one seems to have gotten hurt so far, and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that our runflats held the rim contained inside it, but why does someone have to get hurt for something to happen. Im going in tomorrow to get the rim replaced and of course Im going to ask to get them all replaced, but i know that they would never agree to that, but its still worth putting in a complaint. Its really cool to show people that rim sitting in my trunk but the more i think about it the more i realize i could have been killed.
Old 04-12-2005 | 11:20 AM
Contributors

FYI - I am currently working with a contact at BBS USA on this issue. I made the report and gave them the link to this thread. They have reviewed the information and are following up with BBS Germany, who is responsible for manufacturing the BMW OEM wheels. They agreed to get back to us shortly with a response.

It would help if bklyn545, QWKBMW and evperry could post pictures of their damaged wheels - only JDN and smartymarty have thus far.

I'll keep you posted as I hear anything.
Old 04-12-2005 | 02:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i... Alpine White, Black Dakota, Anthracite, Premiium 1+2, Sports Package, Comfort Access

Originally Posted by John W' date='Apr 12 2005, 01:20 PM
FYI - I am currently working with a contact at BBS USA on this issue.? I made the report and gave them the link to this thread.? They have reviewed the information and are following up with BBS Germany, who is responsible for manufacturing the BMW OEM wheels.? They agreed to get back to us shortly with a response.

It would help if bklyn545, QWKBMW and evperry could post pictures of their damaged wheels - only JDN and smartymarty have thus far.

I'll keep you posted as I hear anything.
[snapback]114535[/snapback]
I brought my car in for this issue today and didnt get a chance to take a picture. My SA told me that hes seen it on one other car before mine. They are replacing the rim and the tire even though there are no visible damages. They wont do anything about the rest of the wheels though. Im going to call BMW NA but im sure theyll just say they havent had any reports of problems.
Old 04-12-2005 | 09:58 PM
Members

I'll get the pictures up.

Mine looks exactly the same as in the pics. Cracked all the way around the rims.

BMW should replace all four because it might happen again with the other 3 rims.
Old 04-13-2005 | 10:17 AM
Members

My SA told me that BMW NA is aware there is a problem with the rims but they havent decided what to do. They cannot replace all the rims because BMW doesnt know which wheels are defective or not. So if they replace all the rims they could still not guarantee the new rims they give us are ok.
Old 04-13-2005 | 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by bklyn545' date='Apr 13 2005, 02:17 PM
My SA told me that BMW NA is aware there is a problem with the rims but they havent decided what to do. They cannot replace all the rims because BMW doesnt know which wheels are defective or not. So if they replace all the rims they could still not guarantee the new rims they give us are ok.?
[snapback]114962[/snapback]
If they determine there is a defect (from BBS), then they could force BBS to remedy the defect then give us all new wheels that were made after they corrected the defect...
Old 04-13-2005 | 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by QWKBMW' date='Apr 10 2005, 04:05 PM
Same thing just happened to my wife's 545.

The rim split in half just like the pictures.

I was just driving.? Didn't really notice hitting anything.

BMW of Mtn. View says there is impact damage and is willing to pay for the rim but I will have to pay for the tire.? Also they will only replace one rim and not the other 3 that are defective.

Rims aren't supposed to crack in half.? I have never seen that before.
I have BBS rims on my M3 and they take a good beating and still are fine.

BMW says they are aware of the problem but have not yet issued a recall.
[snapback]113866[/snapback]
If BMW is aware of this problem, does that mean it is fixed in all new rims?
Old 04-13-2005 | 02:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Apr 13 2005, 03:56 PM
[quote name='QWKBMW' date='Apr 10 2005, 04:05 PM']Same thing just happened to my wife's 545.

The rim split in half just like the pictures.

I was just driving.? Didn't really notice hitting anything.

BMW of Mtn. View says there is impact damage and is willing to pay for the rim but I will have to pay for the tire.? Also they will only replace one rim and not the other 3 that are defective.

Rims aren't supposed to crack in half.? I have never seen that before.
I have BBS rims on my M3 and they take a good beating and still are fine.

BMW says they are aware of the problem but have not yet issued a recall.
[snapback]113866[/snapback]
If BMW is aware of this problem, does that mean it is fixed in all new rims?
[snapback]115050[/snapback]
[/quote]

They are aware of the problem. I dont think theyve pinpointed the exact reason for it though, so theyre not sure if the new rims have the problem. according to my SA they cant replace with new rims because theyre not sure if they have a problem also.
Old 12-24-2005 | 11:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 545i (actually it's the wifes car) Cold Weather Premium Sound Sport Package

Another rim bites the dust. It happened to me on the freeway at approximately 70mph (On Christmas Eve to boot...). The wheel completely split in two. Fortunately, I purchased the tire & wheel insurance. However, if this is a BMW or BBS problem then they should replace it without touching my insurance. Looking back on my purchase, I recall how much the finance guy was pushing the tire insurance. It wasn't like he was pushing it to make more money it was more like he was pushing it because I had to have it. I'll post pictures tomorrow and keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Tony H.
Old 12-25-2005 | 10:52 AM
JDN
Contributors

Looking forward to the pictures, Tony. Mine were 124s, and I'm wondering if yours were, too. I did not get anywhere with BMW on my wheels.

Quick Reply: E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked