E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005 | 06:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i... Alpine White, Black Dakota, Anthracite, Premiium 1+2, Sports Package, Comfort Access

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Apr 6 2005, 04:06 AM
[quote name='John W' date='Apr 6 2005, 01:54 AM']oops - sorry - posted by accident
[snapback]111629[/snapback]

Same here... about 8100 times...
[snapback]111801[/snapback]
[/quote]

Old 04-06-2005 | 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Feb 14 2005, 08:04 PM
I guess I could accept four M wheels for replacement.?
[snapback]90196[/snapback]
JDN, I'd say you have a strong case for some reimbursement from BMW since you were one of the first to have this happen...
Old 04-06-2005 | 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Apr 5 2005, 10:12 AM
As I read through this, two things come to mind.? First, there doesn't seem to be good representation of 123 style owners on this forum, and the car I'll be receiving this month will be fitted with this style.? Are the 123s just as fragile or do they fare better?
[snapback]111436[/snapback]
I have the 123's and have had no problems at all with the wheels.. The tires..... that's another discussion.

Yesterday I drove on the freeway and apperantly they had done some work on the tarmac and I hit a large steep bump at 125 km/h, the car almost jumped but my rims where perfectly fine after inspection.
Apperently I mist the sign that said 70 kmh
Old 04-06-2005 | 09:37 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 6 2005, 08:09 AM
[quote name='JDN' date='Feb 14 2005, 08:04 PM']I guess I could accept four M wheels for replacement.?
[snapback]90196[/snapback]
JDN, I'd say you have a strong case for some reimbursement from BMW since you were one of the first to have this happen...
[snapback]111922[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm still wrestling with Florida DOT, Rudy. It's probably too late to tackle BMWNA.
Old 04-06-2005 | 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Apr 6 2005, 01:37 PM
I'm still wrestling with Florida DOT, Rudy. It's probably too late to tackle BMWNA.
[snapback]111988[/snapback]
I wouldn't assume that. You'll probably get nowhere with the DOT of any state. At least with BMW, you have proof that this is happening to others under mixed circumstances. In other words, not all the others drove over "arrestors" or whatever the things were you drove over were called. It seems as if there's a common issue with these wheels being defective (or weak) or the extra stiff runflats are causing the wheels to stress too much under circumstances where a different wheel/tire combination might not stress or crack.

I see this situation as quite similar to the one with the excessive noise with the runflat tires. I complained last October to the dealer (who then asked the regional BMW rep) and to BMW NA. At that time, they must not have had too many formal complaints because everyone just said "sorry, we haven't heard of that before" and passed me on to Dunlop. Now, six or seven months later, it seems that others complained enough to get the attention of BMW. Now, BMW is paying for replacement tires on a case-by-case basis. Even though my tires have about 9000 miles on them now, I'm getting a free replacement set since I went on record back in October and it doesn't make any sense to penalize me because I was one of the first to have the problem.

Clearly, you have a record of when your mishap occured. Since so many other people's wheels are cracking radially, and if BMW is helping others under warranty, I'm thinking there's a strong case to have BMW reimburse you for the wheels you were forced to buy from them back when you had your problem. I don't think it's "too late"...

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2005 | 12:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D SE Touring, Titanium Grey, 122 Wheels, Pro Nav, Pro Phone, Pro Radio, Advanced Air, 6 Disc Autochanger, Dakota Black Leather, Auto, Panoramic Sunroof, De chrome, mats, Bi-xenons, PDC, Service inclusive and Tracker.

Originally Posted by smarty marty' date='Jan 20 2005, 11:19 PM
Has anyone else heard of any problems with the BMW light alloy star spoke styling 124 alloys.? My wife hit a (not too large) pot hole last night at around 45mph and the wheel has cracked around 70% of it's diameter!? See the pictures attached.? I have never seen an alloy do this with so little impact.? The car and wheels are only 3 months old but the dealer is at present shrugging their shoulders and saying it's accident damage.
[snapback]81274[/snapback]
I've lost 3 wheels over the years due to pot holes and the council have paid up every time. You've done the right thing taking pictures with the newspaper there. Contact the council and they will send you a claim form. Report the pot hole to the Police as it is dangerous and could have caused a serious accident and tell them that. Also tell the council and check to see how quickly they repair it. (Next day in my cases) Ask them when they last checked the road and ask for proof as it should be written down if they can tell you when they last checked. If required get an expert to determine how long it would take for a pot hole of that size to form, also if there are any houses nearby give them a knock on the door and ask them if they know how long the pot hole has been there. For me that worked a treat as a house holder had reported the pothole to the council 6 times over a 4 month period telling them it would cause a crash. I have never had a problem and they have always paid to repair/replace the damage.

Hope that helps.

Paul
Old 04-06-2005 | 12:14 PM
Contributors

>>I wouldn't assume that. You'll probably get nowhere with the DOT of any state. At least with BMW, you have proof that this is happening to others under mixed circumstances. In other words, not all the others drove over "arrestors" or whatever the things were you drove over were called. It seems as if there's a common issue with these wheels being defective (or weak) or the extra stiff runflats are causing the wheels to stress too much under circumstances where a different wheel/tire combination might not stress or crack.

I see this situation as quite similar to the one with the excessive noise with the runflat tires. I complained last October to the dealer (who then asked the regional BMW rep) and to BMW NA. At that time, they must not have had too many formal complaints because everyone just said "sorry, we haven't heard of that before" and passed me on to Dunlop. Now, six or seven months later, it seems that others complained enough to get the attention of BMW. Now, BMW is paying for replacement tires on a case-by-case basis. Even though my tires have about 9000 miles on them now, I'm getting a free replacement set since I went on record back in October and it doesn't make any sense to penalize me because I was one of the first to have the problem.

Clearly, you have a record of when your mishap occured. Since so many other people's wheels are cracking radially, and if BMW is helping others under warranty, I'm thinking there's a strong case to have BMW reimburse you for the wheels you were forced to buy from them back when you had your problem. I don't think it's "too late"...

Good luck!>>

I agree, and we need to be sure we get every case reported to BMW, and perhaps BBS, even if you pay for the wheel. It needs to be reported as a defect, so that they can start tracking the pattern, and can't deny that they knew about it, after a bunch of cases were submitted.
Old 04-06-2005 | 04:20 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 6 2005, 01:22 PM
[quote name='JDN' date='Apr 6 2005, 01:37 PM']I'm still wrestling with Florida DOT, Rudy. It's probably too late to tackle BMWNA.
[snapback]111988[/snapback]
I wouldn't assume that. You'll probably get nowhere with the DOT of any state. At least with BMW, you have proof that this is happening to others under mixed circumstances. In other words, not all the others drove over "arrestors" or whatever the things were you drove over were called. It seems as if there's a common issue with these wheels being defective (or weak) or the extra stiff runflats are causing the wheels to stress too much under circumstances where a different wheel/tire combination might not stress or crack.

Good luck!
[snapback]112034[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks, Rudy. I will bring it up when I go in for the oil change. Our year is about up and I still have 4,000 miles to go based on the OBC. Our one-year birthdays for our cars is right around the corner, you know.
Old 04-10-2005 | 02:05 PM
Members

Same thing just happened to my wife's 545.

The rim split in half just like the pictures.

I was just driving. Didn't really notice hitting anything.

BMW of Mtn. View says there is impact damage and is willing to pay for the rim but I will have to pay for the tire. Also they will only replace one rim and not the other 3 that are defective.

Rims aren't supposed to crack in half. I have never seen that before.
I have BBS rims on my M3 and they take a good beating and still are fine.

BMW says they are aware of the problem but have not yet issued a recall.
Old 04-10-2005 | 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Apr 6 2005, 03:06 AM
[quote name='John W' date='Apr 6 2005, 01:54 AM']oops - sorry - posted by accident
[snapback]111629[/snapback]

Same here... about 8100 times...
[snapback]111801[/snapback]
[/quote]

Someone explain the difference between forged and not.

Quick Reply: E60 Alloy Wheel Cracked