E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E39 owners always hating on E60 cars.. why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='945955' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:46 PM
Ever since the first E60 have been rolling out on the streets, all I ever hear from the faithful E39 drivers are that the E60 are ugly, a boat, badily built, material quality is inferior, etc. etc.

Check this thread out on Bimmerfest where one dude picks up a E60 and does a comparo against his older E39.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthrea...p;highlight=e60

I'm beginning to think that most but not all are just ill because purchasing a new BMW 5 series would be way too much pressure financially..
Maybe I'm wrong but all I hear when they are not directly comparing the E60 to their cars is comments like "why would anyone pay that much for a 5 series, or I don't like the way the E60 looks besides I couldn't afford one anyway." etc. etc.
I am one of those. I bitch about the new e60 looks and some of the design logic that the new E60 has. They seem to have tried to fix what was never broken in the first place and in doing so, created problems.

The E39 was just a fantastic car along with the E34 before it. BMW always seemed to be above the game but it slowly changed with Bungled designs. Yes it will appeal to some who are new into the brand. I mean there will always be someone who loves the looks on the fiat multipa. Incase anyone hasn't see that car, see below.

That said, the E60 does have many new features that are just spot on. BMW to me was always about the looks, the driving ability, engine performance and erogonomics which were always excellent. Now some of that sparkle is gone but the rest still retained which is why I can still enjoy owning and driving the car.

If BMW move further away from its core values, then in the future I would look at other makes of car from germany which in the looks department can sometimes give BMW a run for its money. Its as if all the others were copying BMW styling and once they got there, BMW lost its cue for awhile.

I do think BMW designs are coming back to what it was. I hope so!. The 6 is a great car, but something just doesn't gel well with the front lights and the curve at the back when viewed from the side. Any other angle its fine though.

Take the new 5series GT. Anyone notice BMW have brought back a similar design to the E39 for the AC controls? Thats what I mean when I say, it was great in the E39,... so why change it to the cheapish jap design in the E60.

Before anyone comes in on my post and blasts me for it,.. please note this is just my opinion on the matter and I do respect anyone that wants to praise the E60 sky high. each to their own. But you asked the question which is an open invitation to all different views.

cheers

ps: Its never about money. If BMW still retains its best, I would pay for it anytime. What I dislike is paying a lot and getting something less than my BMW standard of expectation. Perhaps those that argue along the money issues are the same. Got to ask them why though.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by zen68' post='947442' date='Jul 20 2009, 11:16 AM
Scott,

Get Sprint Booster .

Mohamed (bimmerturn) also complained about the delay until he got Sprint Booster.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...=sprint+booster
OK. I will be getting SB. The throttle delay is absolutely ridiculous for a performance sedan. I've had it. I have emailed Andy Wong.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

Last year I was looking for an 03 Black/Black e39 540i sport. 6speed. I was sure that was the care that I wanted. The e60 looked good, but like many others, I liked the look of the M-Tech kit that came on the 03 540. While looking for this car, I came across the fact that I could get an 04 545 6sp without spending that much more money, and with that I would get better technology. My father in-law has an 03 530i, and I loved the way it drove and handled, but I wanted more power. Then I drove a 05 545i, and it was then when I had to have that car. It was great. While test driving... I couldn't believe how fast I was going, because it didn't feel like I was going that fast. I've never had any regret of not getting the 540. I see them now, and they do look dated. And when I park my car, I still look over my shoulder and look at my car... (when it's clean).

Mitch
Old 07-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by MitchBMW' post='948090' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:24 AM
Last year I was looking for an 03 Black/Black e39 540i sport. 6speed. I was sure that was the care that I wanted. The e60 looked good, but like many others, I liked the look of the M-Tech kit that came on the 03 540. While looking for this car, I came across the fact that I could get an 04 545 6sp without spending that much more money, and with that I would get better technology. My father in-law has an 03 530i, and I loved the way it drove and handled, but I wanted more power. Then I drove a 05 545i, and it was then when I had to have that car. It was great. While test driving... I couldn't believe how fast I was going, because it didn't feel like I was going that fast. I've never had any regret of not getting the 540. I see them now, and they do look dated. And when I park my car, I still look over my shoulder and look at my car... (when it's clean).

Mitch
Mitch, what you write is typical of anyone with a new car. Its their pride and joy. I also look back at my car when its parked. I also acknowledge the power a new car will have over the outgoing model. Thats why people make new cars all the time. Models have to change.

That said, if one is comparing the old vs new based on what BMW cars were like, then the new E60 will lose. I have an article which kinda summarises what past BMW buyers came to expect of their cars. It tells why many die hard BMW fans were put off by the newer ones. I am sure most of you have read it too.

[ LINKY ]
"But Bangle threw the baby out with the bath water. The 7 Series prior to his 2002 abomination was the most appealing of all of BMW's large limousines. He trifled with an audience that was enormously faithful to a brand that may be more successful for his ministrations, but BMW no longer enjoys that unshakeable loyalty."
... hence we get these kinds of threads/posts.

cheers