E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dust has been bitten

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Have you tried sourcing a pulled engine from a wreck?

There is a website that can you can use to search and get prices from any junkyard in your area. I'll see if I can find the site when I get to work.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by pukka
Have you tried sourcing a pulled engine from a wreck?

There is a website that can you can use to search and get prices from any junkyard in your area. I'll see if I can find the site when I get to work.
Thanks! My indie is on top of that, but we haven't decided what to do with the car yet. One of the options I'm considering is to auction it off as is - in which case, I don't want him to spend time and effort unnecessarily. I'm going to speak with him tonight and hopefully, will have a decision by Monday. What do you guys think, if Giants win, I'm throwing in the TT V8? How much do I need to bet to win 50k again?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I thought that buying a naturally aspirated N52B30 would be the safest bet in terms of reliability and longevity. Obviously, I've now realized how wrong I was.
Do you think it has anything to do with the all wheel drive system's effect on the motor? I just bought a 2009 528i manual and my thought process regarding reliability is/was the same as yours. I had an E12 with the inline 6 and it was bullet proof. Seriously, I figured I'd be nagged with small issues but my drive train and engine would be solid for a couple hundred at least. Ugh, thanks for the reality check.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Thanks! My indie is on top of that, but we haven't decided what to do with the car yet. One of the options I'm considering is to auction it off as is - in which case, I don't want him to spend time and effort unnecessarily. I'm going to speak with him tonight and hopefully, will have a decision by Monday. What do you guys think, if Giants win, I'm throwing in the TT V8? How much do I need to bet to win 50k again?
Just sent you a PM.

I wouldn't consider auctioning the entire car. Any car without a functional motor isn't going to sell for much more than a grand if you are lucky. You would be better off parting out the car, but then you have to deal with storing everything until it sells.

I think your best bet would be to replace the motor and then sell it.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

What did mechanic tell you about broken engine? What is broken there?
I know (I'm Russian) in Russian community you can get cheaper service (at least in Philly), but you have to watch out for Brooklyn crooks, as you already know that.

Let me know I will ask my guys if cheaper to fix then to replace whole engine.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Vlad, I would still take this up with BMW NA as you have a record of the issue in the car's warrantied past. If they couldn't (or wouldn't) find it then, it still seems they are at least PARTIALLY responsible now! Worst case scenario, they say NO, but they MIGHT help out, and you've got nothing to lose by trying! Good Luck my friend!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Man, I'm sorry for your troubles! Good luck with what ever choice you make. Hopefully if you do sell it, you won't have to take too much of a hit.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

damn man, im really sorry to hear that. if misery loves company, my best friend just had their SMG tranny die on them in their 2004 545i....total replacement cost according to the dealer: $7500. so of course they are walking away from the car. i know how much you love you ride man. its a shame that something like that would happen to a fine luxury automobile. good luck on the hunt for a new car....keep us updated on what you end up with next.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
Do you think it has anything to do with the all wheel drive system's effect on the motor? I just bought a 2009 528i manual and my thought process regarding reliability is/was the same as yours. I had an E12 with the inline 6 and it was bullet proof. Seriously, I figured I'd be nagged with small issues but my drive train and engine would be solid for a couple hundred at least. Ugh, thanks for the reality check.
I don't think it has anything to do with AWD. As a matter of fact, I had some water damage, because a dumbass body shop left a window open during a snow storm, and my transfer case and its module are prctically brand new. Car drove exactly the same before and after the transfer case replacement. Just to clarify, I've never had any issues with the AWD systems, aside from the aforementioned water damage, where moisture shorted out the transfer case module and that in turn blew the center diff (aka transfer case).

Originally Posted by pukka
Just sent you a PM.

I wouldn't consider auctioning the entire car. Any car without a functional motor isn't going to sell for much more than a grand if you are lucky. You would be better off parting out the car, but then you have to deal with storing everything until it sells.

I think your best bet would be to replace the motor and then sell it.
Thanks again! I'll look at that company, but that engine is an M54 - older inline 6. My indie has an N52 in stock, so we should be able to work something out. Coincidentally, I think that price was also pretty outrageous - what they told you.

Originally Posted by phlfly
What did mechanic tell you about broken engine? What is broken there?
I know (I'm Russian) in Russian community you can get cheaper service (at least in Philly), but you have to watch out for Brooklyn crooks, as you already know that.

Let me know I will ask my guys if cheaper to fix then to replace whole engine.
I'll let you know if I need help. For now, I've had two Brooklyn Russians look at it, but the car is with a trusted non-Russian tech. If it's a little more money, I don't mind - as long as the job is done right and they don't overcharge.

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
Vlad, I would still take this up with BMW NA as you have a record of the issue in the car's warrantied past. If they couldn't (or wouldn't) find it then, it still seems they are at least PARTIALLY responsible now! Worst case scenario, they say NO, but they MIGHT help out, and you've got nothing to lose by trying! Good Luck my friend!
I was thinking the same thing. But how can I prove to them that I've mentioned the engine ticking twice to an adviser at BMW of Manhattan? I doubt he left any record of it, since nothing was ever fixed. He just kept telling me "don't worry, it's totally normal"... f***ing asshole!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pradden
Man, I'm sorry for your troubles! Good luck with what ever choice you make. Hopefully if you do sell it, you won't have to take too much of a hit.
Thank you! Well, it is what it is - I can't really say I'm happy with it, but what can I do?

Originally Posted by umichchris
damn man, im really sorry to hear that. if misery loves company, my best friend just had their SMG tranny die on them in their 2004 545i....total replacement cost according to the dealer: $7500. so of course they are walking away from the car. i know how much you love you ride man. its a shame that something like that would happen to a fine luxury automobile. good luck on the hunt for a new car....keep us updated on what you end up with next.
Yeah man. Saw your thread too btw Bummer!!! Guess these things come in threes huh? Good luck to us all!

Quick Reply: Dust has been bitten