E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop RF's replacement in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone in the UK had their Dunlop Run-Flats replaced under warranty. Reading the posts on this board from the US this seems pretty common but I am unaware of anyone in the UK succeding in getting BMW to change their tyres.

Mine are now really noisey. Plenty of tread left in the centre but wearing badly on the edges. Spoke with my dealer who said he had never heard of any problems with the Dunlop RFs (is he having me on?)
Old 04-25-2005, 12:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by whihr' date='Apr 25 2005, 02:11 PM
Anyone in the UK had their Dunlop Run-Flats replaced under warranty.? Reading the posts on this board from the US this seems pretty common but I am unaware of anyone in the UK succeding in getting BMW to change their tyres.

Mine are now really noisey.? Plenty of tread left in the centre but wearing badly on the edges.? Spoke with my dealer who said he had never heard of any problems with the Dunlop RFs (is he having me on?)
[snapback]119853[/snapback]

Don't know about the UK but after seeing the messages others have posted concering the tires I just spoke with my dealer about this issue. He says that if the car continues to operate poorly in my mind then to bring it in and they will replace the tires for me. I have the same problem with noise but also performance issues.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whihr' date='Apr 25 2005, 09:11 PM
Anyone in the UK had their Dunlop Run-Flats replaced under warranty.? Reading the posts on this board from the US this seems pretty common but I am unaware of anyone in the UK succeding in getting BMW to change their tyres.

Mine are now really noisey.? Plenty of tread left in the centre but wearing badly on the edges.? Spoke with my dealer who said he had never heard of any problems with the Dunlop RFs (is he having me on?)
[snapback]119853[/snapback]
I'm not aware of anyone in the UK having their Dunlops changed at all. I've asked the same question before. I'm approaching 10,000 miles in my E60 and haven't experienced the noises yet. Just getting the rattling parcel shelf and creaking doors recently. Need to get the dealer to check them out when the oil service comes up.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d, Silver Grey, Beige Leather, PDC, Sun Blinds On Order LCI 523iA, Jet Black, Beige Leather, Heated Seats, Rear Sun Blinds, Bluetooth, M Steering Wheel

I checked my rear 17" dunlops last week and with 7200 miles on them, they are just above the tread indicator. Also the service indicator shows the rear brake pads require replacing in a further 7,000 miles while the front pads are not required for another 11,000

It's booked in for the 21st for a check up, I will certainly push for the dealer to at least contribute to new rears
Old 04-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Members

Hi

I just got the 275/35/18's replaced at the back by Kwik Fit (good service for a Kwik Fit) with Dunlop SP Sport 01's as apparently they have changed the tread pattern recently to make the tyre quieter.

Whether it's true or not I don't know yet.

What other run-flat tyres have people with these size tyres fitted in the UK? I fancied the Bridgestone RE050 Runflats but Bridgestone told me they are only for the US market - is that true?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

I've got Goodyear NCT 5s fitted as standard to my 18" - but I think they are 45s though (I will check).

I am very happy with them (at the moment!) - very little road noise and seem to hold the road well, wet and dry.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Members

How much did Kwik Fit charge you for these?

Thanks

whihr

Originally Posted by fwilsher' date='Apr 29 2005, 08:48 AM
Hi

I just got the 275/35/18's replaced at the back by Kwik Fit (good service for a Kwik Fit) with Dunlop SP Sport 01's as apparently they have changed the tread pattern recently to make the tyre quieter.

Whether it's true or not I don't know yet.

What other run-flat tyres have people with these size tyres fitted in the UK? I fancied the Bridgestone RE050 Runflats but Bridgestone told me they are only for the US market - is that true?

Thanks
[snapback]121889[/snapback]
Old 05-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Members

I had similar problems ie Tread wearing on the edges , both front and rear on Runflats and got BMW UK involved. I personally think that if you have the combination of Runflat + active steering + Dynamic Drive + sport suspension + heavy diesel engine (530D), the car eats the tyres on the edges. BMW UK have done the laser re-allignment twice on my car and my new runflats (changed at 12K miles and 780 pounds in total - Dunlop as there is no other choice in UK) are showing the same symptoms again ie wearing on the edges. You are warned.. Please check your tyres very carefully if you have the same characteritiscs as my car as new tyres are very expensive and BMW UK seem to know about it but are un-willing to do anything about it.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by karm' date='May 9 2005, 03:34 AM
I had similar problems ie Tread wearing on the edges , both front and rear on Runflats and got BMW UK involved. I personally think that if you have the combination of Runflat + active steering + Dynamic Drive + sport suspension + heavy diesel engine (530D), the car eats the tyres on the edges. BMW UK have done the laser re-allignment twice on my car and my new runflats (changed at 12K miles and 780 pounds in total - Dunlop as there is no other choice in UK) are showing the same symptoms again ie wearing on the edges. You are warned.. Please check your tyres very carefully if you have the same characteritiscs as my car as new tyres are very expensive and BMW UK seem to know about it but are un-willing to do anything about it.
[snapback]125995[/snapback]
Are goodyears not available? So far I am really pleased with the Goodyears - they came as standard on my car.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Members

Interesting. I have done approx 20,000 miles and just got a recommendation from the dealer (at 18,000) that 20k was about right to change tyres. Whats the recommendation for new ones ? (make/model of tyre). I am running standard 17" run-flats as supplied with the car and had no tyre noise issue.
Who do you recommend to fit and what is ballpark cost (anyone in UK) ?

Thanks!