E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Double Action Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by bardel' post='551205' date='Mar 26 2008, 08:56 PM
Hi Littlemouse,

They're not the same! Mine unlocks only upon removal of the key, turning off the engine see's the doors remain locked. Agree with you about the security though, I like the fact that you don't have to remember to do it, can't be too careful with theives more than happy to open your passenger door and nick your phone / bag whatever you've got on show even when your sitting in the car...

I see you've got a 535d on order, similar spec to mine, so maybe you'll find there's been a change of programming somewhere between your manufacturing date and mine? Or is there an iDrive option to select at what point the doors unlock, I know the option to enable door locks after moving off is in there...

Barry
Hi Barry

just checked again, on my 2004 525d, and what happens is this: Drive off and they lock,( as was set in i-drive). When I stop, I turn the ignition key one click, the engine stops. Doors still locked. turn key one more click, so ignition is off, doors unlock, keys still in ignition.

I'm assuming your car has the start/stop button, being yours is a 2007 model? This is where the difference could be. Am I right in thinking that when you push the key into your ignition, the dash lights up, then push button, car starts?

If thats the case, it sounds a similar set up to the older models. Push new key into ignition, equivelent of first two turns of old key. pressing the stop button, same as one turn of key to stop the engine, hence why the doors still locked in the new model, because the ignition would still be on. pushing the key fob to release it from the ignition, would then unlock the doors. Is this how yours works?

How do you get on with your 535d? I'm starting to get really excited about it now because of all the great write ups the car has received, from the press, and the owners on here.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by littlemouse' post='551547' date='Mar 27 2008, 08:10 AM
Hi Barry

just checked again, on my 2004 525d, and what happens is this: Drive off and they lock,( as was set in i-drive). When I stop, I turn the ignition key one click, the engine stops. Doors still locked. turn key one more click, so ignition is off, doors unlock, keys still in ignition.

I'm assuming your car has the start/stop button, being yours is a 2007 model? This is where the difference could be. Am I right in thinking that when you push the key into your ignition, the dash lights up, then push button, car starts?

If thats the case, it sounds a similar set up to the older models. Push new key into ignition, equivelent of first two turns of old key. pressing the stop button, same as one turn of key to stop the engine, hence why the doors still locked in the new model, because the ignition would still be on. pushing the key fob to release it from the ignition, would then unlock the doors. Is this how yours works?

How do you get on with your 535d? I'm starting to get really excited about it now because of all the great write ups the car has received, from the press, and the owners on here.
That'll be it then as yes I do have the start/stop button. I didn't realise the 2004 models used a conventional key style ignition. My understanding is almost the same as yours ref the key fob operation. I believe inserting the key is only the equivelent to position 1 on a normal key. Pressing the start/stop button without your foot on the brake turns on the ignition (this is when the majority of the dash lights up), however, normally I just put my foot on the brake straight away before pressing the start/stop, so effectively go from inserting the fob (position 1) to ignition/crank engine in 1 movement by putting my foot on the brake and then pressing the start button. I'd have to check but I assume pressing the start button after driving stops the engine and returns it to the equivalent of position 2 (ie ignition on) rather than position 1. I'll try and remember to check when I'm out in it next.

The 535d for me is fantastic, but not having a previous E60 to compare to may have different results for you. That said, you've gone for a lot of extra's as did I so they really help with the grin factor. Although to be honest, the engine is so wonderfully smooth and powerful that's probably enough on it's own. My previous cars are listed below (as we still have them), so you can see that a new 535d is like chalk and cheese to my other cars so it was bound to be a dramatic difference in driving. The 535d isn't quite up to the EVO on performance toys (as that has just shy of 400hp) and the handling isn't the same, but when I get back in the Evo now it feels like a bag of nails for the first 10 minutes until I turn back into a hooligan again and forget about the niceties of a quality car! To be fair though, on the open road, the 535d will belay most others you will come across! As for excitement, I orderd mine in May and took delivery in September 07, seemed to take for ever. I'll probably never be able to buy another car of this value brand new again, so it was a once in a lifetime joy for me and my wife and we continue to love it each time we drive it. Good luck with yours, I'm sure you'll love it too.

Barry
Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by bardel' post='551576' date='Mar 27 2008, 09:00 AM
That'll be it then as yes I do have the start/stop button. I didn't realise the 2004 models used a conventional key style ignition. My understanding is almost the same as yours ref the key fob operation. I believe inserting the key is only the equivelent to position 1 on a normal key. Pressing the start/stop button without your foot on the brake turns on the ignition (this is when the majority of the dash lights up), however, normally I just put my foot on the brake straight away before pressing the start/stop, so effectively go from inserting the fob (position 1) to ignition/crank engine in 1 movement by putting my foot on the brake and then pressing the start button. I'd have to check but I assume pressing the start button after driving stops the engine and returns it to the equivalent of position 2 (ie ignition on) rather than position 1. I'll try and remember to check when I'm out in it next.

The 535d for me is fantastic, but not having a previous E60 to compare to may have different results for you. That said, you've gone for a lot of extra's as did I so they really help with the grin factor. Although to be honest, the engine is so wonderfully smooth and powerful that's probably enough on it's own. My previous cars are listed below (as we still have them), so you can see that a new 535d is like chalk and cheese to my other cars so it was bound to be a dramatic difference in driving. The 535d isn't quite up to the EVO on performance toys (as that has just shy of 400hp) and the handling isn't the same, but when I get back in the Evo now it feels like a bag of nails for the first 10 minutes until I turn back into a hooligan again and forget about the niceties of a quality car! To be fair though, on the open road, the 535d will belay most others you will come across! As for excitement, I orderd mine in May and took delivery in September 07, seemed to take for ever. I'll probably never be able to buy another car of this value brand new again, so it was a once in a lifetime joy for me and my wife and we continue to love it each time we drive it. Good luck with yours, I'm sure you'll love it too.

Barry
Your not tempted to have your 535d remapped then? Steinbauer P-Box takes it up to 353 BHp with 690 N/m Torque!! Then it might stay with your Evo a bit longer I'm tempted, but with a ?900 price tag probably a bit excesive. Plus issues with warantee if the engine should go bang

I'm the same, contemplated having an ex demo one, to save the pennies, but not many had the spec we were after, and to spend 45k on something that wasn't perfect for what I wanted, convinced me to take the plunge and go for new with all the bells on Then just try to forget the deprieciation of it as soon as I drive out the Dealers Still the Wifes happy with it, with the Heated seats, and kids too, as they have still got I-drive to play with

Littlemouse
Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

Rudy is correct (like I had to say that!). The auto-unlock feature is not available in the US and so the "double-pull" is required if the doors are locked. I'm sure it's another one of those safety/legal things.

IIRC, it's the same for South Africa cars. Maybe someone there could confirm?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

Unhappy

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='550655' date='Mar 25 2008, 05:15 PM
why the doors don't open immediately on the first pull of the inside door handles. And, is there a way to disable the default "feature" so they do open on the first pull.
I've read it somewhere too... but I can't remember,
they do open on the first pull, I Drive(?Car settings, info....), If I come across I will post
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by aqkhan6us' post='551736' date='Mar 27 2008, 12:43 PM
I've read it somewhere too... but I can't remember,
they do open on the first pull, I Drive(?Car settings, info....), If I come across I will post
There's no way to change the double-pull feature if the door is locked. It's a mechanical thing (hardware), not a software thing. That's the way the door latch mechanism is designed...
Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

This is what I'm used to doing. Once I push the button to turn off the car and then eject the key FOB, I press the top button (on the key FO to unlock only the driver's door. Then it's only a 1-pull operation.

I got tired of repairing my door locks (and many window regulators) on my '99 540i over-and-over again, so I got used to unlocking only the driver's door via the key from inside. This method prevented all of the door lock actuators from re-locking all doors when alarming the car via the key.

My 2 cents...
Old 03-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

Very Simple solution.

After you shut down the car, push the unlock button once at the center of the consol, then pull the handle once and your out.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='551775' date='Mar 27 2008, 01:59 PM
Very Simple solution.

After you shut down the car, push the unlock button once at the center of the consol, then pull the handle once and your out.
Yep, I only do that if I'm not only one in the car as it "actuates" all of the door locks not just the driver's.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

so how does that work with a child lock then? I haven't checked anything yet but if the kids can simply pull twice and jump out too.... that would be a bad thing.

I dont even know how to turn it on or off, is it connected to the rear window button blocking through the buttons front drivers' side? or mechanical in the door itself like older cars

Quick Reply: Double Action Door Handles