E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Double Action Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='550655' date='Mar 25 2008, 07:15 PM
I've read it here, somewhere... but I can't remember why the doors don't open immediately on the first pull of the inside door handles. And, is there a way to disable the default "feature" if it can be called that, so they do open on the first pull. Seems ridiculous to me.
Cal
So are childproof asprin bottles.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by littlemouse' post='550710' date='Mar 26 2008, 12:25 AM
The only thing I can think, is there is a difference between the US version and the UK Version.

My 04 525d definately unlocks the doors when the engine is switched off. You Guys had me doubting myself, so I've just been out and tried it. Drive off, all doors auto lock. Turn off engine, doors unlock, one pull. Sad, I Know
Are you sure it's when you switch the engine off, or when you remove the key? I can't remember for sure either, but it's too cold and late for me to go out and try it!

Barry
Old 03-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by bardel' post='550722' date='Mar 26 2008, 01:09 AM
Are you sure it's when you switch the engine off, or when you remove the key? I can't remember for sure either, but it's too cold and late for me to go out and try it!

Barry
Hi Barry,

Mine's when the engine is turned off, key still in the ignition. Try it in the morning, I'm sure you'll find the same.

I remember when I first had the car ,at 6 months old, what a great feature it was. go above about 5 mph, everything locks, great security, especially with the kids in the back, and when you stop, everything opens.

The only very slight inconvienience, is if you drop someone off, and they manage to sort out the two pull thing while the engine is running, so they can get out, is that if they need something from the boot, you have to remember to unlock that manually, or you have them bashing on your rear window
Old 03-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

US cars do not have the auto unlock feature.

I'm guessing BMW didn't want to get sued if someone had all the doors locked but right after they automatically unlocked, they got carjacked...
Old 03-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='550747' date='Mar 26 2008, 01:52 AM
US cars do not have the auto unlock feature.

I'm guessing BMW didn't want to get sued if someone had all the doors locked but right after they automatically unlocked, they got carjacked...
I must admit that did cross my mind

Great looking car Rudy, Can't wait for mine to arrive in May, build week 17, Delivery week 20.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='550747' date='Mar 25 2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah...we're safer here in the US...geezz...
Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 AM
Senior Members

Rudy, are you sure this is regional issue, or dealer programmed like the remote control trunk (boot) release.
Some UK cars can remotely open their trunk without unlocking the car first, other cars need to unlock the car before being able to open the trunk with the remote (In case they leave the key inside the trunk).
This is could be changed at the dealer, I was wondering if the door locking issue could be the same
Old 03-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='550967' date='Mar 26 2008, 08:32 AM
Rudy, are you sure this is regional issue, or dealer programmed like the remote control trunk (boot) release.
Some UK cars car remotely open their trunk without unlocking the car first, other cars need to unlock the car before being able to open the trunk with the remote (In case they leave the key inside the trunk). This is could be changed at the dealer, I was wondering if the door locking issue could be the same
I'm pretty sure it's regional and not an option for us in the US. I think it's a lot like the fact that we're not allowed to remotely close all the windows and roof with the key fob...
Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='551046' date='Mar 26 2008, 10:58 AM
I'm pretty sure it's regional and not an option for us in the US. I think it's a lot like the fact that we're not allowed to remotely close all the windows and roof with the key fob...
I requested that this re-program be made to my car, but my SA told me that it could not be done. That being said, I really don't have THAT much faith in his statement...I don't think he really looked into it that much.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by littlemouse' post='550745' date='Mar 26 2008, 01:48 AM
Hi Barry,

Mine's when the engine is turned off, key still in the ignition. Try it in the morning, I'm sure you'll find the same.

I remember when I first had the car ,at 6 months old, what a great feature it was. go above about 5 mph, everything locks, great security, especially with the kids in the back, and when you stop, everything opens.

The only very slight inconvienience, is if you drop someone off, and they manage to sort out the two pull thing while the engine is running, so they can get out, is that if they need something from the boot, you have to remember to unlock that manually, or you have them bashing on your rear window
Hi Littlemouse,

They're not the same! Mine unlocks only upon removal of the key, turning off the engine see's the doors remain locked. Agree with you about the security though, I like the fact that you don't have to remember to do it, can't be too careful with theives more than happy to open your passenger door and nick your phone / bag whatever you've got on show even when your sitting in the car...

I see you've got a 535d on order, similar spec to mine, so maybe you'll find there's been a change of programming somewhere between your manufacturing date and mine? Or is there an iDrive option to select at what point the doors unlock, I know the option to enable door locks after moving off is in there...

Barry

Quick Reply: Double Action Door Handles