E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Door Seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by travelboy' post='283786' date='May 17 2006, 10:36 PM
I complained about the rattle and my dealer replaced the door seals. The same noises came back again, and I told the dealer. This time, they cleaned the seals. Well, the noise was still there, so I began experimenting to see if I can pinpoint its cause. It seems to come at low speeds and when you start/stop. I think I've narrowed it down to the sunroof. If the sunroof is in the "tilt" open position, the noises stop. As soon as I close it, the noises come back. :thumbsdown:

The rattle definitely sounded like it was coming from the doors, but now I'm convinced it's from the sunroof. I'm not sure if its the sunroof seal or if the sunroof needs to be adjusted properly.
Hi,
the noise might of course come from the sunroof. Actually there is not a rubber seal in the sunroof. There is, however an easy way to test: just use adhesive archive tape, the matt one from 3M and put it in the A -pillar, so that the seal with fleece is towards the tape. The noise should disappear.

Greetings,
Old 05-22-2006, 07:41 PM
RAI
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to add one thing. In addition to the new seals and carbaflo reapplied as needed to the felt flocking, be sure to apply "Gummifledge" or similar product to the rubber seals all around the door and around the door opening of the car. Takes about 30 to 45 minutes to do it very well. Believe me, the car is perfect after that, and continues to be far, far better even 6 monts or so later when it's time to reapply. You can get carbaflo from your dealer. Gummifledge, unfortunately, is no longer carried by BMW, but there is a similar product made by Wurth that BMW dealers should carry. This whole issue damn near drove me crazy for months, but now I've had months and months of pure bliss.