E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Door Locks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 08:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a nightmare today....I took my 5er to the wash and was about to start drying it off when i exited the car and the doors for some strange reason decided to lock on there own! well wouldnt you know my wifes purse was in there along with the spare key her key and my key was in the ignition with the car off .Now correct me if im wrong but shouldnt car have an anti-lockout feature!my old 328 did my buddies 88 passat had it what F@$% is wrong with mine..So i called the dealership and they had no clue what to do...then i called my sales rep and he had no idea what to do either so he gave me a locksmith number and i called them and they said since the car was brand new that they dont have a clue!well big suprise there...Did i mention that my house keys both sets were in there...so anyways i had to call ADAC for those of you in germany you know who im talking about well the guy came out and drove a wedge into my door frame and spaced it with an air sack contraption then took a pole and hit the door unlock button on the center console(after several attempts in which he scratched surrounding objects)finally got the door open i had to pay him a hundred euro mind you because BMW assist is not available until i get to the US! well i was looking at the chrome trim and noticed it has a spider web effect where it was bent! Dear god this had to have been the worst experience i have had thus far with my 5er and its many glitches. Then i got into the 5er and tried to repeat what just happened to see if i had done something wrong and the car would not lock with key in the ignition or with the door open! Please let me know if this has happened to anyone else..
Old 07-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Dude, What the hell happened? That is crazy!!!!! Sorry to read about your problems. I guess I have been lucky so far.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Sorry to hear that.
This is exactly what I'm allways affraid of after the car wash.
Usually I leave at least one door open or a window, or jump back in the car and pull the key (my car wash is 9 Km from my home).
Old 07-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

daveyboy, sorry to hear that. it sucked so bad! just wondering, what happened to your valet key (plastic key)? i think if you have your valet key in your wallet, this nightmare wouldn't happened. anyway, you are right. i think many cars, even older models, have the anti-lockout feature. you should go back to your dealer and have them do something about it. what happened to you isn't just unlucky, i think bmw have to responsible for it, too. they can't just give you the locksmith number and have you take care the rest of the craps. man, i'm pissed even hear about your story .
Old 07-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

well wouldnt you know my wifes purse was in there along with the spare key her key and my key was in the ignition with the car off
That explains where the spare key was...
Old 07-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Sorry to hear. There are two locking options. One is when you unlock your car and don't open a door, the doors relock after some short time. The other is when you drive away the doors automatically lock. Were either of these enabled, through Idrive, on your car?
Old 07-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

iceman, i know the spare was inside the car but i was talking about the plastic valet key. anyway, i don't keep mine in my wallet neither .

pennetta, you are right about the two locking options. but i think either locking option is picked from the idrive, this still wouldn't happened. because he was in the car (otherwise the key wouldn't be in the ignition) and that already deactivated the "when you unlock your car and don't open a door, the doors relock after some short time". and the other option doesn't apply to this situation. please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jul 25 2004, 01:33 AM
i know the spare was inside the car but i was talking about the plastic valet key. anyway, i don't keep mine in my wallet neither .
Do you have a spare and a valet key ?
We (in Germany) get two master keys and a valet key (what is our spare key...).
I have my valet/spare key in my safe and don't carry it with me, just like you, alohalc.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

We (in Germany) get two master keys and a valet key (what is our spare key...).
iceman, same here. two masters and one valet. the second master key for me is a "spare" since my girlfriend has it. sorry for confused you . spare for my girlfriend? oh, she'll probably ask me, "spare key for me? am i your spare, too?" man, i better tell her that's a "master/main" key . my "spare" is not in the states...shh... .
Old 07-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

WOW! The Horror. We probably should not exit the car without the key in our possession.

Quick Reply: Door Locks!