E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does debadging "downsize" you car ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

I debadged my 545 and like realtyman I think the exhaust gives it away....but oh well....I love the clean look.

Just for fun, I actually put a 525i badge on last year for 2 months for fun....result was cool. I get E320s trying to piss me off and you know what the results are like...
Old 03-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M-Sport Individual Deep Green Metallic 19" Style 172 wheels Individual Champagne leather Media Pack Visibility pack Sunroof Privacy glass

Originally Posted by diveleader' post='404013' date='Mar 17 2007, 11:16 PM
Aero

The 535d is however fully badged up and kind of has the opposite effect. You can doubley p**s other drivers off by first whooping them and then letting them know it was done in a diesel!

cant they tell its a diesel by all the black soot coming out of your pipes, as you shoot past
(only kidding!)
Make that trippley p**s other drivers off then!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Aeroresh' post='404165' date='Mar 18 2007, 09:43 AM
Make that trippley p**s other drivers off then!
I wonder whether "other drivers" really care as much as we'd believe...

ABC
Old 03-18-2007, 02:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='404057' date='Mar 18 2007, 01:46 AM
There was only ONE legitimate reason to debadge, and that was >30 years ago in Europe when state taxes were levied based on engine size. Now that everybody knows what's under the hood, just by the VIN, nobody gets away paying 4 cyl taxes on their V-12. Not to mention the size of rear brake rotors and other non-styling, genuine performance cues.
Not to pick bones, but:

a) In the majority of European countries some car-related taxes are still levied based on engine size (and/or power and/or consumption). In fact the UK used to have a flat annual excise duty on cars until a few years ago, but now has 11 bands depending on fuel type and CO2 emissions. Plus fuel duties/VAT and sales tax/VAT on new cars - which represent the majority of car taxation - are inescapably linked to engine size.

b) Since all cars in Europe have a compulsory registration mark/document (number plate), and obtaining that depends on presenting documentation by the manufacturer including which engine is fitted, it never was possible for anyone to pay lower rates of tax simply by turning up at the tax office and "declaring" a lower engine size. Once you are in the system, you stay in.

c) Even if people were ever debadging for the reason you mention, that's not "legitimate". That's tax evasion, which is hardly legal (or even ethically "legitimate" under most circumstances - ya gotta pay to play in more than one way)

So, de-badging a car never has had a "technical" purpose...
Old 03-18-2007, 03:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by diveleader' post='404013' date='Mar 17 2007, 11:16 PM
Aero

The 535d is however fully badged up and kind of has the opposite effect. You can doubley p**s other drivers off by first whooping them and then letting them know it was done in a diesel!

cant they tell its a diesel by all the black soot coming out of your pipes, as you shoot past
(only kidding!)
Think you'll find that all E60 diesels now come with particulate (soot) filters so you don't get any visible emissions at all - just like petrol/gas. Hence the decent tailpipes now that are not the skinny twin down turned affairs of old.

That's was a real bonus to me as I still think it looks a bit naff to have a nice executive vehicle smoking like an old taxi or truck. :thumbsdown: My last diesel Audi A6 looked really smart until you floored the throttle and hid all oncoming traffic under a smoke screen.

I was even sad enough to get on my hands and knees to give my exhaust a sniff with the engine running and the emissions were so clean that I didn't smell a thing even any sulphur from the catalyst that you often get. Wouldn't recommend doing it for too long though as I'm sure the invisible, colourless variety of gases are probably the most harmful.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dawi' post='404187' date='Mar 18 2007, 11:14 AM
Think you'll find that all E60 diesels now come with particulate (soot) filters so you don't get any visible emissions at all - just like petrol/gas.
The same post inspired me to get my camera out.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=38059

ABC
Old 03-18-2007, 06:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='403585' date='Mar 16 2007, 01:38 PM
Well..the truth is...I wish I had a 550i !!!!

I have the M-Sport pack with the M-body kit, M-suspension, M-door sills, M Steering wheel, High gloss shadow line, anthracite roof liner and 19" 172M wheels.....all that on a carbon black car. Most of the time when I pull up next to another car, guys look at me like wow! that's a serious ride....right away they think it's a super fast, powerful sport sedan not realizing their G35/Lexus IS or the likes will pretty much smoke my car...all that because of the way it looks...(like a 550 or M5 to someone who doesn't know).

And that's starting to get to me!! The moment they see my badge (530i) they take the attitude of "hey...it's only a 530...I can smoke him...it just looks like a 550!" As a result I seem to be "challenged" more often than I care.

Admittedly, I have an inferiority complex with my car !! And probably come across like a moron for that! but hey...I'm telling it like it is !!

My thought was to debadge in order to take away the whole "it's only a 530i" reaction and let people draw their own conclusions.....It feels like the M-Sport pack and the 19" wheels convey the wrong idea...power...muscle...extreme acceleration...when that's just not the case! It's only cosmetic !

I'm glad I got this off my chest.....lol...very therapeutic....lol....
Show some pics!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='404219' date='Mar 18 2007, 10:25 AM
Show some pics!
Check my profile..under gallery!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Members

My Ride: [s]07 E60 535d LCI.Silver.172.Hifi.Ipod.Rear Tints.M Spoiler.[/s] 07 B7 RS4 Avant Misano Red 54 E87 120d Sport Sparkling Graphite

Originally Posted by Fatlab' post='403661' date='Mar 16 2007, 10:07 PM
I saw one better than that a few months ago in the UK. It was a new '56 plate M5 with a 518i badge on the back trundling down the outside lane of the motorway just waiting for some oik who didn't know his arse from his elbow to flash him to get out of the way .....

Now that is someone with a sense of humour.

Fatlab
A bit of badge-r baiting.... Sure some astra diesel would take up the challenge
Old 03-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Members

My Ride: Carbon Black 535d Sport. Black Dakota leather, Media and visibility pack with adaptive Xenons. Hi-fi, servotronic, grad tint screen etc etc

Evening Chaps.

My first post, so go easy on me! LOL

I bought a 535d Sport at the weekend and have de-badged it. Didn't see the need to have the badge on the boot and it's balanced the look of the rear up nicely. This is the first car that I've ever de-badged. I've had and E39 M5, E46 M3 and numerous 330d's, but I've not felt the desire to remove the badge until now.

Is it a 535d thing?

Matt

Quick Reply: Does debadging "downsize" you car ?