E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does anyone think this looks better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Oct 3 2005, 01:23 AM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Oct 3 2005, 12:05 PM']Shebs Bangle

The last picture does it for me. I like the way you managed to get your line to flow with the exisiting cars lines. Wonderful?? ?
[snapback]178426[/snapback]
Thanks Merv. I've even come up with another design. Tell me what do you think.

Shebs Design 2

[snapback]178429[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree that this design would have looked better. I think the most attractive aspect of the e60 design is the line that begins on the front hood and proceeds across the side body of the car below the windows and back into the middle of the tail light. The line you drew could be made to flow above but exactly parallel to the side car line which would extend the crease that begins behind the door instead of having it get washed out as it meets the trunk. It would accentuate the effect of the lines.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Oct 3 2005, 03:43 AM
Merv,

You have pointed out a very important issue. I really hate that slanted line. Actually I love the rear light, but I hate the way it was put together with the trunk and the rear bumper. So I decided to do the job that BMW should have done .

I used NES car. This is due to the clear rear angle of the picture and also because it is Alpina White so the lines are very clear.

BMW Design

Without Shutting Lines (beautiful, but impossible)

Shebs Design

Just tell me what do you think guys. Is it? or? :thumbsdown:?

NB: The last picture is subject to copyrights? .
[snapback]178421[/snapback]
Don't like proposed the bumper design because it looks like the old 5 series and like some Japanese cars too. The trunk line is fine the way it is for maximum trunk opening. The other way makes the trunk opening smaller and may not fit all 4 golf bags. Perhaps the trunk line can be a little curvy to the back but same length.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

The other way makes the trunk opening smaller and may not fit all 4 golf bags.
[snapback]178621[/snapback]
[/quote]

4 golf bags!!!!! Do you mean 4 golf bags with no trollies and when you get there go round in a buggy. I use a trolly and can just about get my golf bag and trolly in.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Oct 3 2005, 08:33 PM
Don't like proposed the bumper design because it looks like the old 5 series and like some Japanese cars too. The trunk line is fine the way it is for maximum trunk opening. The other way makes the trunk opening smaller and may not fit all 4 golf bags. Perhaps the trunk line can be a little curvy to the back but same length.
Ok so what about this one?

This would give you nearly the same trunk opening area.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

HaHa
When I had the 1 Series l had to take the driver out the bag & put it on the back seat, else the bag would not fit in the trunk.

Now l can easily get 2 pro bags in, & probably another 1 if I tried.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Oct 3 2005, 08:23 PM
The other way makes the trunk opening smaller and may not fit all 4 golf bags.
4 golf bags!!!!! Do you mean 4 golf bags with no trollies and when you get there go round in a buggy. I use a trolly and can just about get my golf bag and trolly in.
[snapback]178634[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 10-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Oct 3 2005, 02:08 PM
[quote name='Bimmer32' date='Oct 3 2005, 08:33 PM']Don't like proposed the bumper design because it looks like the old 5 series and like some Japanese cars too. The trunk line is fine the way it is for maximum trunk opening. The other way makes the trunk opening smaller and may not fit all 4 golf bags. Perhaps the trunk line can be a little curvy to the back but same length.

[snapback]178652[/snapback]
[/quote]

Looks better but that thin lid might not be structurally stiff for the trunk. How about changing the shape of the tail lights? Thanks for the hardwork.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Oct 3 2005, 10:43 AM
Shebs Design

Just tell me what do you think guys. Is it? or? :thumbsdown:?

NB: The last picture is subject to copyrights? .
[snapback]178421[/snapback]
I don't like the trunk line. Trunk opening is smaller.
On your later try it just looks wrong to me, havng ANY kind of line up there.

BTW, if you want a car like that, BMW Individual will do it for you!

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Oct 3 2005, 01:39 PM
Sorry Merv and Shebs....I love the diagonal line and the fact that there is no line on the top surface of the trunk lid.? It is one of my favorite parts of the E60.? It looks good to me AND it looks different from other cars.? I remember seeing some artists' renderings of what the "next 5er" was going to look like before the E60 came out and one (which ended up being pretty close to the final design) had the trunk lines done the normal way (like Shebs' picture).? After the real E60 design was revealed I was so glad BMW did it the way they did instead of the normal line on top of the trunk lid.? I think the way BMW designed it with the diagonal line matches the rest of the design elements on the E60, which make it more modern and special.
[snapback]178443[/snapback]
Yep.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

Just my 2 cents....

Trying to achieve the sort of sheet metal pressing you guys are drawing would be almost impossible without huge manufacturing cost due to the complexities of the convex and concave angles plus the almost 90 degree corner under the rear light. Plastic is a much easier material to form hence the design BMW have produced. I remember BMW trumpeting the multi angled pressing at the launch of the E39 where the front wing meets the base of the windscreen, edge of the hood (bonnet) and the front door. They said it was a very difficult engineering problem to overcome and since that car, many other manufacturers copied the design.

If you look at the rear wing/trunk area on an E39 you will see there is an unsightly welded seem betweent the corner panel of the rear wing and an extra panel under the rear lights if my memory serves me correctly. This type of seem would have looked out of place on the E60 as there are no other design compromises like this anywhere on the exterior of the car.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Oct 3 2005, 10:46 PM
[quote name='Shebs' date='Oct 3 2005, 02:08 PM'][quote name='Bimmer32' date='Oct 3 2005, 08:33 PM']Don't like proposed the bumper design because it looks like the old 5 series and like some Japanese cars too. The trunk line is fine the way it is for maximum trunk opening. The other way makes the trunk opening smaller and may not fit all 4 golf bags. Perhaps the trunk line can be a little curvy to the back but same length.

[snapback]178652[/snapback]
[/quote]

Looks better but that thin lid might not be structurally stiff for the trunk. How about changing the shape of the tail lights? Thanks for the hardwork.
[snapback]178669[/snapback]
[/quote]

Are you serious? I think the rear light looks fantastic, but on its own . I can work on the shape of the rear light, but that is going to cost you $1000 .
Old 10-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

In white and black cars, maybe so others too, that line between sheetmetal and plastic is possible to fill with Sikaflex or similar. Trunk lid / sheetmetal gap is more difficult!

But I like also that line to disappier.

Skaffa