E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

does anyone esle think bmw's nav sucks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Yup, our navi categorizes in too details that we can't simply select "shopping" then search for walmart, target etc. That's why 90% of time, we are in a wrong category(although common sense says we are right) and ended up nothing. However, if you take time you will eventually find the store/restaurant etc by names. Although it will take you like 10 min to do that.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

What NAV interface? I use BMW concierge - push a button and make the operator do all the work for me.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i

For the most part, the NAV systems that are built in suck. I had a Garmin for years and loved it. When I decided to buy a new vehicle, I got the NAV option. It blows chunks. Have to be at a complete stop, the categories are all screwed up and just sub par compared to the Garmin, but much more expensive to get the option and update. I could buy a complete new system for what they want for the NAV update.

The only upside is that it doesn't sit on top of the dash and is harder to steal. I had my Garmin snatched in a smash and dash, but it was only another $165 to get another one. The window to the Avalanche was more than that.

Bottom line, most of them blow. It seems that the technology in most cars is way behind, why don't they do better?

J
Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Members

I delayed the purchase of my car mainly to get the updated hard drive based nav.

I think its great! I've searched for all kinds of destinations on the fly and had pretty good luck. I also have HUD and having the nav integrated just plain rocks. The night view is pretty cool, as is the perspective view.

With the new nav I can also send destinations to it from google maps. I've used this a bunch and it is really sweet!

I've also used the bmw-routes capability to program in a large complex route and then loaded it into the nav via the usb.

The lexus that I test drove disabled almost all nav interface functions while driving. I found that to be a real hassle. It was great having my wife by able to enter or search for destinations while I was driving in Europe.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by danzanchy
I don't think ANY nav beats a Lexus navi... I wonder if any software programmers can retrofit a Lexus navi DVD for BMW???

But I cant say I'd care since I don't have nav!
+1

my wife's lexus is 7 years old, and still blows the bmw away... lexus' is damn intuitive.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Members

A few stories:

1) I got a '10 3 series as a loaner while a dealer was fixing the seat for the BMW recall, and i was quite impressed with the navigation system, how it was HD based as opposed to DVD based like in my '05 530, and includes the traffic thingy.

2) Best $2K i ever spent; I had a girlfriend, before I brought the '05 530 and a car that didn't have navigation, so i use to print out the old mapquest and have her read me the directions. She couldn't tell .1 miles from 1 mile, and we were travelling one night and she said next turn "1 mile ahead", and so i'm driving think that okay 1 mile is a ways ahead, but it never came, i never saw the intersection. So i asked her again to make sure and she said "Oh, I meant .1 miles" Pretty as she was I said, that's it next car I'm getting navigation!! And, it works fine!!

3) I don't see how James Bond gets around with out!!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I think the LCI's actually allow programming while driving.

As for Toyota/Lexus cars, you can usually just hack it via some odd commands and it'll allow NAV function while driving.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I think the LCI's actually allow programming while driving.

As for Toyota/Lexus cars, you can usually just hack it via some odd commands and it'll allow NAV function while driving.

Do Pre-LCI's have a problem using it while driving? Mine works fine when the car is moving and mine is Pre-LCI
Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The OEM nav in BMW's was never a strong point, there's no doubt you can buy better for less and that some other manufacturers have better implementations BUT none of these aftermarket units are integrated with the other functions of the car (and it is the integration that makes up for some of the other shortfalls) and there's the aesthetic issue of sticking your Garmin or TomTom onto the screen of your BMW...

FWIW the new HD based BMW nav is much better than the DVD based legacy system, it's really very good. I also agree with the posts above re the Lexus' nav, it is indeed is one of the best in the business (particularly the HD based system).
Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Contributors

its works ok... HUD really helps... if my car didnt have hud... it would suck

Quick Reply: does anyone esle think bmw's nav sucks?