E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?
In USA and drive with them ON
36.16%
In USA and drive with them OFF
40.96%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them ON
4.43%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them OFF
18.45%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Sep 3 2004, 01:20 PM
[quote name='kigerka' date='Sep 3 2004, 01:05 PM'] [quote name='Iceman' date='Sep 3 2004, 08:53 PM'] BTW:
There are no speed limits on most of the highways in Germany
That's not true!

Highways without speedlimits are extremely rare!
He is absolutely correct on that one. [/quote]
got him on a technicallity, but his point remains valid... [/quote]

I stand corrected. The one I drive on weekly (A57) doesn't but I know others do, so my post should say " some highways in Germany don't have speed limits"

Seriously, let's move on.........
Old 09-03-2004, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

my LAST point on this whole thing....if US car safety organization thought that it was a danger to other people then it would have been illegal. US is a country with ALOT of driving laws and they are VERY perticular....the fact that they do not have a ban against it...it DOES make it okay to use it. Tints in the front windows are ILLEGAL, neons under the car are illegal, driving with High beams are illegal, very loud mufflers are illegal...but FOG LIGHTS are A OKAY!

so that gives the US drivers the right to drive with them on. In Germany i beg to differ

peace
Old 09-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

As I said earlier, it's pointless to argue this subject because it seems everyone is divided into two camps.

I'm not trying to fuel the fire here, just trying to point out that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) here in the US is currently studying an abundance of complaints of glare from three light sources: 1) Higher mounted headlights (low and high beam) found on SUV's; 2) High Intensity Discharge (HID or Xenon) headlamps; and 3) "Extra" lamps like fog, driving, or other auxiliary lights.

Here is a link to the NHTSA's request for comments (RFC) on the subject of these types of glare. It goes over many theories, etc. as to the cause of the complaints as well as some proposed solutions.

I'm sure many of you (from both viewpoints) will enjoy this detailed information.

Happy reading and happy posting!!
Old 09-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Here's another link to a study specifically mentioned in the NHTSA report. (Docket NHTSA-1998-8885-1)

It's called "Fog lamps: Frequency of Installation and Nature of Use" and should also be of interest!
Old 09-04-2004, 03:18 AM
JDN
Contributors

What I grasped out of all the info Rudy rooted for us was that fog lights are basically 1926 technology and were efficient for T-Models. About the only time they might be useful are under those conditions when I shouldn't have my butt out there in the first place. When the fog is that heavy, the probability of getting rear ended is high.

For my part, I could do just as well without fog lights..
Old 11-14-2004, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to mention my thoughts on the subject, as it's No1 on my driving naff-me-off list.

I don't really care for the legal aspects of this. I am annoyed by people who use fog lights as a fashion statment. And it's usually the 3-series bling-tastic w*****mobiles that have them turned ON 24/7. (this is THE reason why I will NEVER buy/drive/own a 3-series - the image of typical 3-series drivers)

I see many people with 5-series driving about during the day with side lights on. OK, that's a fashion statement too (for the angel eyes), but the difference is that having angel eyes lit is NOT annoying to other drivers.

Driving with fog lights on *IS* annoying to other drivers (too much glare). Just to let those who think it isn't annoying. It might not be annoying to you, but others will be annoyed.

But if it's not illegal and not unusual, I can understand people driving with them on. So, I'm not judging people (in the US).

Anyway, I don't want to cause more debate on this issue.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Nov 14 2004, 03:31 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to mention my thoughts on the subject, as it's No1 on my driving naff-me-off list.

I don't really care for the legal aspects of this. I am annoyed by people who use fog lights as a fashion statment. And it's usually the 3-series bling-tastic w*****mobiles that have them turned ON 24/7. (this is THE reason why I will NEVER buy/drive/own a 3-series - the image of typical 3-series drivers)

I see many people with 5-series driving about during the day with side lights on. OK, that's a fashion statement too (for the angel eyes), but the difference is that having angel eyes lit is NOT annoying to other drivers.

Driving with fog lights on *IS* annoying to other drivers (too much glare). Just to let those who think it isn't annoying. It might not be annoying to you, but others will be annoyed.

But if it's not illegal and not unusual, I can understand people driving with them on. So, I'm not judging people (in the US).

Anyway, I don't want to cause more debate on this issue.
[snapback]55967[/snapback]
Although, just came out of an E46, my style was definately not as described - only used fog lights when necessary.. for the rest:

right on!

( no offense meant in any case )

Old 11-14-2004, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Here we go again...
Old 11-14-2004, 06:51 AM
Contributors

I have held off adding to this post.
I didn't want to feel the rath of Iceman

But this is the time of year I do find a use for Fog Lights.
When driving on a country road , during deer mating season, the extra lighting to the berm that the Fogs give have helped add a few extra seconds to my reaction to a deer.

I don't know if any of you have seen the damage a deer can do, pretty extensive .

DR.Z
Old 11-14-2004, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

OK this topic has been beaten to the point of death... If you like your fog lights on have them on... if you like them off have them off!! I personally have them on and yes its not even for the use its intended to its for mere showing off... hey if i think it gives my car a nice distinct look whats stopin me hell i was even thinking of placing xenon blubs in there... I like them on, always do have them on its my opinion you have yours lets just end this dam topic...

Quick Reply: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?