E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?
In USA and drive with them ON
36.16%
In USA and drive with them OFF
40.96%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them ON
4.43%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them OFF
18.45%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Oh, I forgot to answer your question regarding visibility.

My house has a narrow driveway that leads to my garage. It's also on a corner where I turn right into my street and immediately turn again into my driveway. The fog light helps a lot and iluminate the curb better so I don't clip it.

The foglights also illuminate the "Bott's dot" better, in my opinion. Go out to your nearest freeway and test the lights, you'll see that the definition created by the short range reflections, from the dots will be brighter...whewwww. Thus allowing you to focus ahead more. Again, I feel more secure driving with them on.

Mental note: When driving in Germany in November, don't use foglights, don't use foglights, don't use foglights, don't use foglights........................or I'll get my ass kicked. by Iceman
Old 09-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 3 2004, 02:11 AM
Oh, I forgot to answer your question regarding visibility.

My house has a narrow driveway that leads to my garage. It's also on a corner where I turn right into my street and immediately turn again into my driveway. The fog light helps a lot and iluminate the curb better so I don't clip it.

The foglights also illuminate the "Bott's dot" better, in my opinion. Go out to your nearest freeway and test the lights, you'll see that the definition created by the short range reflections, from the dots will be brighter...whewwww. Thus allowing you to focus ahead more. Again, I feel more secure driving with them on.

Mental note: When driving in Germany in November, don't use foglights, don't use foglights, don't use foglights, don't use foglights........................or I'll get me ass kicked.
Well, there is nothing wrong when you use them to pull in or out of your own property. If this helps you... ok... But then turn them off... Also I think you should know where the curb is when you drive there every day...

One more thing to think about:

When you say the dots are getting illuminated better... I know I sound like a smartass now, but that's not where you have to look at! You allways drive to where you look at!! Hand-Eye coordination... You have to look to where you want to go. If you focus on those dots in your short range, you are not driving very safe...

Your car/steering is allways following your eyes...
Old 09-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't true "Fog Lights" amber in color to help cut through the fog? I find that the "fog" lights on my 5 and my previous cars help to fill in the void from the front of the car to where the headlights begin to hit the road.

I understand that some people complain about them "blinding", however I rarely am affected by them (and I am easilly pi$$ed off). Unless they are misaligned or are "aftermarket" installs that are improperly aimed I don't see an issue (however I know how some can get quite emotional over the issue). If I know you are coming toward me, I'll turn mine off.

All I know is that I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of the 5 series Xenon high beams. Now that would be blinding!
Old 09-02-2004, 04:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

fog lights off.

imo they divert attention away from the beautiful angel eyes.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Members

FOG lights OFF!

I don't like using them as I don;t like the others using them when it's not necessary. As Iceman said they are FOG LIGHTS. What the f***k? IF there is no fog.. or heavy rain... why use them? To show the others I have them? They probably imagine that a 50K$+ has them.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Contributors

It is pretty common around my home state NC. When I was young I did the same crap with aftermarket foglights and "pimped" around. It was the thing for us young bucks to do. But now I am to old for that crap. I think about it and feel like a damn idiot.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Contributors

do u mean at night when it is dark? the answer is most of the time. But during a sunny day....i dont know about that dude.

Are you seriously speaking when you said "all the time".

Anyway,
Old 09-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

i don't know what it is with you germans and foglights....it seems to me that foglights are a nusense there.....but here since they are LEGAL here in USA...people like to use them even if it illuminates the road 1% more and some people like to use them just because they look good with the main HIDs. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. some trends work here and some trends don't work in other countries...its a matter of cultural taste....I have seen many cars have their HIDs on even in bright sunlight...maybe its their way of enjoying the exterior look of their beautiful car to its fullest.

That being said....here in the USA its not F*cked up to have them on and here in USA 80% of all luxury and sport cars have them on and here in the USA they are LEGAL and here in USA its a show off thing more than the use for fog!!

cheers
Old 09-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I won't bother arguing my point like Iceman is doing because it's pointless to argue this subject...

Here goes:

Driving with fog lights on all the time is so "eighties."

It used to be cool until every Pontiac started running around with them on. (I think the fog light switch on Pontiacs is built into the seat or something!) In my opinion, if you're trying to be cool and you're over 21 years of age, you'll look cooler with them off... Unless, that is, it's foggy outside!!
Old 09-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I'm not looking to be Cool (and it is evident that I can't be no matter how hard I try :'( ) however if it lets me see a little better so I don't squash a rabbit or a turtle or some other critter, or lets me be "seen" better so that someone doesn't crash into me then I'm going to leave them on (along with my headlights).

I'll make sure that mine are aimed at factory specs so that I don't blind Iceman.

Last time I checked, my FOG lights are less bright than my Xenon headlights and don't project nearly as far.

Quick Reply: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?