E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel's torque is HUGE

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 02:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stu,

My dealer has a new model 2.7 Boxster in artic silver available for immediate delivery (or at least he did yesterday). It's a good spec in silver but a bit of creative finance could probably put you in the seat. PM me for details if interested. My Carrera is also artic silver.

I have to say that the difference between the old and the new car is night and day in terms of fit and finish and the performance on the 2.7 is now almost on par with the old 3.2S model. I wouldn't even compare the two cars due to the quality and power improvents really.

The interior on the new car is superb. I'd highly recommend a test drive as I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought the ride a lot less harsh than the Z4. The sound of the engine behind you is great. WARNING - drive this car and you will want to buy it.

The residual value on the new Boxster is also going to be strong and it is the standard car which has the longer waiting list. I guess a good spec Boxster S is just too expensive for most people who want to buy one of these cars in the UK. I'd take the new Boxster every time over the Audi (I've owned a TT before). The only sensible route into a TT these days IMHO is to find a low mileage, late model used car. There are loads for sale on Autotrader including the 3.2 DSG with healthy savings over the new cars. It all depends on what you want the car for really. Get the Porsche Stu, you know you want to. It'll be the safer place to invest your cash in the longer term.

WARNING - entering a Porsche dealership who has new cars available to buy off the showroom floor can seriously damage your bank account
Old 12-12-2004, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I've not owned a Boxster or TT. But I have had both for 1 or 3 day test drives. I've also done several track days with a Porsche dealer, so I've been able to test the various model, engine, tranny combinations. All except the turbo 911

Not driven the new Boxster or 997. Perhaps ISUK is right, they might be better to drive.

I like Porsche and Audi. Would be happy to buy either. Yes the TT is getting rather common now, especially with the ?20K versions about. The Porsche will always be a bit more special. But if it were me, I'd always be unhappy with the 2.7. And thinking "if only I'd spend just a bit more, and got the 3.2". Nothing wrong with the Boxster, it just doesn't excite me like ?40K should.

Also, I'd much rather have the Audi S3 than the TT. NICE!!! And a good choice if you need rear seats.

Haing had a Porsche (weekend toy) and Audi A4 (petrol V6 company car), I did think long and hard about my next car. Decided for the 530d. Sort of combined the 2. Sports performance and practical family/work car. But I was pushed that way, as cash is tighter now, and I don't have room for 3 cars on the drive anymore

Thinking of leaving the E60 at work, and using the tax saving to buy something fun though, for home-work driving. And a used Bozster could work or maybe a good 993 or cheapish 996.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

And photos of my car are in the members gallery, if you're referring to my car.

Not had time or sunny day to take anything more yet. But if there's anything you especially want to see, let me know.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

Not sure about the TT roadster "bending in the middle", but I would agree that as standard, the suspension is set up in a less than sporting manner. Nothing that some decent coilovers (and uprated bushes and anti-roll bars if you really want to go for it ) won't sort out. And it's much easier to get a TT to 345bhp than it is a Boxster!

Clive
Old 12-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Gents,

Go and have a look at the new Boxster. You won't feel short changed for around ?38k for the standard car with a few extras on it. The quality of finish is leaps and bounds ahead of the old car and it is now worth the money. I've just got back from the dealer. Had to go back to sit in "my" 997 again The quality of the 997 is also leagues ahead of the 996. BMW should try the same trick with the interior of the E60
Old 12-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Encouraging to hear the build quality has improved. I'll have to go along and check them out.

Seeing that you've ordered an auto, I think we're different, in what we buy a Porsche for. Myself, I'd never buy an auto 911. Nothing wrong with the auto. It's a personal choice. But I'd go for the manual every time (in the Porsche). Not quite into buying a car with rollcage and no interior, but for me it's more about the performance.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on buying an auto Porsche. As I'm interested to know.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

The Tiptronic is in the car already (I didn't spec the car, it is a dealer allocation from Porsche G so I had to take it. I would have ordered it anyway as the 997 will be my only car and I hate manual boxes in crowded stop/start traffic on our over-congested UK roads. Riding the clutch whilst inching forward is a real pain. The auto actually puts some of the pleasure back into driving in these kinds of situations. Manuals might seem like fun for a short blast round back roads or on track days but for every day real world driving, an auto is hard to beat.

I always used to think I would never own an automatic but five minutes after buying a steptronic X5 4 years ago I was a convert for life. Modern six speed auto's are fantastic. The box in my 530d has been a joy and I could not imagine ordering or driving an E60 without it. Except maybe the M5 of course
Old 12-12-2004, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

Understood. Can't see myself ever using a Porsche for everyday driving, and therefore wouldn't be struggling with traffic.

Wanted the auto in my E60, but it' a company car and auto would add ?120 a month to the taxbill. So it was an easy choice. But if I bought the E60 myself, then I'd have got an auto. And if I ever buy a Porsche for everyday use, I'd consider getting auto. But by then I'd hope they'd be selling the DSG/SMG box. Best of both worlds.

A pity SMG wasn't available for the 530d. Low CO2 as well as the benefits of auto.

BTW, the Audi DSG is fabulous.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

I've never tried DSG but only heard good things about it. I just can't be bothered changing gear nowadays as an auto box with decent software that "learns" your driving style does the job nicely. I think I've only messed around in the steptronic manual mode on the E60 three times in the past 14 months. DS is just about spot on for the torque in this car.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Members

ISUK,
Sorry to hear that you will be departing the forum in March. Where will you be posting your views on the new Porsche.
Mark-Yorkshire
P.S. What did our friendly BMW dealer say about the cancelled 535d order?Lost deposit?

Quick Reply: Diesel's torque is HUGE