E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Diesel's torque is HUGE

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I'm very used to driving a variety of car. From powerful V8s to turbo 4s. All different and interesting in their own way.

I've driven several diesels, but only 4 cyl before.

The torque from the BMW 3.0d is HUGE. The turbo kicks in around 2000 rpm. And when it does the tyres struggle to get in onto the road. As you'd expect first gear will break traction without trying. But in second gear, foot to the floor, and the DSC light is just constantly on until it's time to change gear.

Even in third you can get the DSC light to come on, without trying too hard.

If the engine was tuned, and/or the torque limit was removed, it would be dangerous with the traction control.

I'm wondering if there's something wrong. The 245 rubber should be giving better performance, I think. Maybe the pressures are wrong. Maybe the RFTs are just different performance (not had RTF before).

Anyone else moved from pertrol to diesel and had similar experiences?
Old 12-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

If you search way back to our early threads from last year this topic was discussed. The 530d generates huge torque and the driven wheels struggle to grip on moderately wet roads. Just wait until your tyres start to wear. If you hit manhole covers when pulling out of junctions it can be a bit hairy. I have an automatic and it isn't any better than your manual by the sound of things. You just have to be gentle when accelerating from a standing start in the wet. It still puts a smile on my face as I watch drivers of other so called performance cars stare open mouthed as they note the d badge on the rear of my car as I accelerate away from them at traffic lights now and again. Thank goodness for traction control. That flashing orange light is frequently on in my car.

One interesting point is that I found the car handled pretty well when we had a few days of snow last winter. I thought it would be a pig but it handled it with ease.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Dec 10 2004, 06:34 PM
The torque from the BMW 3.0d is HUGE. The turbo kicks in around 2000 rpm.
[snapback]67639[/snapback]
The car has a turbocharger????
Old 12-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

yup, the diesels are turbo'd
Old 12-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Too bad we can't get these in the US.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i w/ sports and premium pakage, titanium silver, gray dakota leather w/ polar grain wood trim, steptronic

i want that sound of diesel~~!!!!
Old 12-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

The DSC works very well. Usually there's nothing more than a small shudder from the rear before the engine power is cut. But then it's just enough to stop the wheelspin, rather than full shutdown like in some cars.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Titanium Silver, Black Nasca Leather, Servotronic Steering, , De-Chrome, Bi-Xenons including Headlight Washer Jets, adaptive headlights, Advanced A/C, Auto Dim Interior & Exterior Mirrors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Front Centre Sliding Armrest, extended lights package

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Dec 11 2004, 09:59 AM
The DSC works very well. Usually there's nothing more than a small shudder from the rear before the engine power is cut. But then it's just enough to stop the wheelspin, rather than full shutdown like in some cars.
[snapback]67764[/snapback]
what about the 535d available over her in uk much more torque and power than 530d
this diesel has twin turbos i.e. the two turbos are in series giving torque at almose ticking over speed
Old 12-11-2004, 01:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

I drove yesterday 535d and the big roads were dry while lesser ones were icy. It was really funny feeling when 60-70kph traction control kicked in! You push pedal but nothing really happens. Only that yellow light in dash. Without traction control car was all over road.

With manual you have to be extra carefull that you don't lock rear wheels when shifting down! On slippery surface you loose controll for sure and become passenger instead of driver!

Do anyone know is there limited slipp awailable to e60? Have to have that.

Skaffa
Old 12-11-2004, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

One thing I'm disappointed about with the BMW. NO LSD.

Having driven mainly Porsche and Audi the last few years, I'm used to them ALL having limited slip diff.

Porsche was electronic controlled. Some Audi were quattro. Some were FWD, but with electronic control diff.

A car as expensive as an E60, and with the performance of a 530d, 535d, 530i, and 545i, should come with LSD as standard.

Quick Reply: Diesel's torque is HUGE