E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel's torque is HUGE

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 06:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -04 530D

I think they have LSD! At least to me e60 gives sometimes reeeally good feeling!

But that limited slip diff... I totally agree You!

Skaffa
Old 12-11-2004, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Dec 11 2004, 07:36 AM
One thing I'm disappointed about with the BMW. NO LSD.

Having driven mainly Porsche and Audi the last few years, I'm used to them ALL having limited slip diff.

Porsche was electronic controlled. Some Audi were quattro. Some were FWD, but with electronic control diff.

A car as expensive as an E60, and with the performance of a 530d, 535d, 530i, and 545i, should come with LSD as standard.
[snapback]67788[/snapback]
Don't even get me started on the lack of a LSD . I've complained about that in previous threads. I just couldn't beleive it either. Aside from that, I love the car.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

My car was breaking traction like crazy today on mildly damp and greasy road surfaces. I really had to back off the power at roundabouts as the back end was really stepping out of line.

I was on my way to my local Porsche dealer to buy a new model Boxster which they have been allocated and is due to arrive next week. When I got there they had a brand new 997 model 911 Carrera in the showroom that was also an additional allocation car that arrived unannounced last week and was available. It's now sold....... to me!! So I'll be cancelling my 535d sport order and selling my 530d and moving up to Porsche driving on the 1st March 05 (the car cannot be released from the showroom until then which is fine by me).
Old 12-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

so you are leaving us :'(?
Old 12-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

alohalc,

I'll be leaving the board in March when I hope to have sold my 530d. I'll continue to frequent it up until that point in case I can be of any help to other owners. I'm sure the 535d Sport would be great but I just couldn't pass up the whole Porsche experience. I had previously posted that I was going to order a new 997 but the long waiting list put me off. The sudden availability of this car in almost my ideal spec was just too much to pass up on.

I had fun test driving a Boxster S, Carrera S and Cayenne V6 whilst making my mind up about the 997. Having worked out the sums I'm going to be financially better off after selling my Z4, getting rid of my company owned 530d and buying the 911 Carrera. I never thought buying a 911 would make financial sense but it actually does

Please forgive me fellow E60 drivers for straying away. I may want to look at an M5 after having owned the 997 so I'll maybe put my name down for one in late 2006/early 2007, who knows.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

well, you can always stop by and tell us your porsche experience . good luck !
Old 12-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

Thanks. First mod will be the fitment of a RoadAngel speed detector I think for a car with a 0-62mph of 5.5 secs and 174 mph top end
Old 12-12-2004, 12:31 AM

Hi ISUK, what colour have you gone for ?
I'm surprised you could get the new model so quickly !
There is some good 997 stuff on here .
Just one more question; What did you make of the changes to the Boxster? I'm thinking of giving my GF the 530D and getting a (basic spec ie ?32K ) Boxster. Would value your opinion;

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showforum=22
Old 12-12-2004, 01:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Don't get a Bogster. You will be sorry.

The manual S is OK to drive. But nothing like 996/997. The 2.7 will leave you wanting more.

IMHO the Audi TT (3.2) is a better drive than the Bogster, and cheaper. If you've got the money, get a 911. Even if it's a 996, which can be had second hand for not much more than a new Bogster.

I strongly advise you against getitng a poverty spec Bogster. The Audi TT (3.2) is so much more car for the same money.

And either model in tiptronic are just for "hairdressers". Until Porsche finish their semi-auto (DSG/SMG), go for the manual.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:44 AM
stu
Members

Sorry - that was me above - not logged in .
Hi BB530 D , thanks for the reply, have you owned one >?

It's just that I had a SLK 320 before - and now greatly miss driving with the roof down. The 530 D is fun for the two of us with our 11 month old and all his clobber in the boot - but I'm missing a bit of fun somewhere. I could afford , just a poverty spec boxster in say black or red flat colour - and Sarah could drive the 530 , which I envisage keeping for a long time as it's cheap to insure (?400) good on fuel economy and gobbles the miles without drama.

My friend has a TT and though the interior is especially wonderful, I think the car is, overall, mediocre! the Coupe is ugly and dated and the cabriolet bends in the middle unlike the merc and porsche.
i'm interested in ISUK's opinion because he has a Z4 .

By the way - when are we going to see pics of your car - I love the Sport wheels ...

Quick Reply: Diesel's torque is HUGE