E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Hey Tomwid get back to apples to apples not a lot of nonsence,heh.
cheers
vern
Old 08-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Only nonsense here is people like you forcing your safety ideals on people that like their freedom.

Originally Posted by vern' date='Aug 11 2005, 12:31 PM
Hey Tomwid get back to apples to apples not a lot of nonsence,heh.
cheers
vern
[snapback]158321[/snapback]
Old 08-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

Just a simple Brit here, but we'd say that if even just one life was saved, or one Doctor's time could be directed towards real illnesses rather than patching people up after being run down, then DRL must be worth it. If you're driving a car, what does it matter to you whether your lights are on ?

I guess this is where the average American differs to a European. You're more liberal in some things, VERY much less in others. When it comes to safety, we're conservative, but in personal behaviours very liberal. Isn't the world great !
Old 08-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Boxsterfeet' date='Aug 11 2005, 12:13 PM
Just a simple Brit here, but we'd say that if even just one life was saved, or one Doctor's time could be directed towards real illnesses rather than patching people up after being run down, then DRL must be worth it. If you're driving a car, what does it matter to you whether your lights are on ?

I guess this is where the average American differs to a European. You're more liberal in some things, VERY much less in others. When it comes to safety, we're conservative, but in personal behaviours very liberal. Isn't the world great !
[snapback]158333[/snapback]
TOMWID read this and see if you can digest it.Boxterfeet makes a lot of sence.More than you are trying to do.
cheers
vern
Old 08-11-2005, 10:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Very bright foglights
Old 08-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Members

The best thing FL ever did was to rescind the helment law, what do I care if a motorcyclist bashes his brains all over the concrete? They're adults and, it was their choice. Most importantly, it doesn't hurt me in the least bit. Except, maybe, if I actually see his brains, at which point I'd be puking my guts out. LOL

WEll, this would be true if these schmucks riding around with no helmet didn't cost $$$ to send to the ICU and neurotrauma unit every time they down a bike. You see, all of us in the insurance pool pay for alot of these jackasses when they get hurt and don't have sufficient coverage. $$$ that could have been substantially minimized were the rider wearing a DOT approved helmet.

You can swing a leg over a 1000cc superbike without even taking any sort of training whatsoever here in Penna. Just what we need, helmetless (read: blinded) testosterone pumps zinging around on 9 second 500 lb missles with about 50 miles of seat time on a friend's dirtbike as their only riding experience...

I used to ride full time from March to November and I know for a fact that it is easier to ride with a helmet than without one. Safer too. No bugs or stones or cigarette butts on your face, no wiper fluid, no oil no coolant, no watery eyes, better sense of what's going on around you, less wind noise, etc etc etc.

Every time I'd cross the border-arc into Delaware (Penna. had a helmet law that was since rescinded) I'd keep my helmet on, I tried taking it off once and it felt like I was sticking my head out the window of a school bus. I couldn't go above 50 without squinting with shades on, even with riding goggles instead of eyeglasses I couldn't go faster than 70 on the highway. I got hit in the cheek with a pebble after 10 minutes of riding and that's all it took. Helmet went back on and doesn't come off if I'm riding.

But DRL's don't help the driver of the DRL car, unless you figure on having more reaction time in a crisis since the DRL car is seen sooner. That's assuming that it is seen sooner, a proposition for which I have not seen convincing evidence. It may help the other driver, again assuming the DRL car is seen sooner.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

LoLZ

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Aug 11 2005, 02:45 PM
Very bright foglights
[snapback]158361[/snapback]
I highly doubt insurance rates would decline if we had all these new laws passed (DRLs that, seat belt this, helmut that), even if accidents drop significantly. There's just too much money to be made.

So you get to wear your helmut because you have a choice to, isn't that great?
Let's try to keep it that way!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

Yes I can digest that and it very well could be true, BUT... is that worth my freedom? Not to me.

It matters because it is MY car, I should make the choice whether my DRLs are on or off, not the government.

Some of you are willing to give up your personal freedoms for the sake of safety, I'm not one of those people. I'm glad that common sense prevailed here in FL concerning the helmut law, now we just need to work on the seatbelt law.

Again, what I am saying is, if you want to wear a helmut, GREAT! If you want your DRLs on, GREAT!! If you want to wear your seatbelt, GREATT!! But please, don't tell me I have to do those things, I am in no way hurting anyone by chosing not to do them.

Why is the government trying to turn me into a criminal for not wearing my seatbelt? Does that make sense to you?

Originally Posted by vern' date='Aug 11 2005, 01:27 PM
[quote name='Boxsterfeet' date='Aug 11 2005, 12:13 PM']Just a simple Brit here, but we'd say that if even just one life was saved, or one Doctor's time could be directed towards real illnesses rather than patching people up after being run down, then DRL must be worth it. If you're driving a car, what does it matter to you whether your lights are on ?

[snapback]158333[/snapback]
TOMWID read this and see if you can digest it.Boxterfeet makes a lot of sence.More than you are trying to do.
cheers
vern
[snapback]158338[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 08-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I am not so concerned about the insurance costs incurred by brain damaged helmet-less MC crash victims as I am about the state financed long term care they receive. Insurance only goes so far, it's the LT care that costs so much and that comes out of my own tax contributions. I don't like the idea of someone placing that burden on me simply because they prefer not to wear a helmet. I'd be o.k. with elimination of the MC helmet law, provided riders had to obtain insurance that totally covered them for LT care. That would put the burden where it belongs.

BTW, I used to ride, with a helmet, but stopped due to too many near hits by uncaring or half blind car drivers.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

Your government wants to make you a criminal for not wearing a seatbelt ? Makes perfect sense to me. That's cheaper than picking you up from out of a gulley, or someone else's kid whose parents think like you....

I guess being in Florida its bright most of the time, but I've misjudged cars coming away from the sidewalk when I thought they were parked up... - never happens with a Volvo ! (In Europe, anyhow)

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights