E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Damn I love this car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Runner' post='394294' date='Feb 22 2007, 03:26 PM
Lawguy,

FYI, the 'break in' period is generally a bunch of BS. You should drive the car from the get-go the way you plan on driving it as long as you own it.

By taking it easier on the car during the initial break-in, it "seats" various portions of the engine and the car in general. What the manufacturers and the Feds want you to do is baby the car initially because it means you'll have very slightly lower emissions and slightly better gas mileage throughout the life of the car.

The flipside is if you gun the hell out of the engine while it's new, you will actually very slightly improve the performance of the car over it's life. However, that will come at the expense of a slight reduction in fuel economy.

These days our cars have several systems built-in to try and prevent people from frying the engine. You really have to try and screw it up. Beyond that, if something goes wrong it would have gone wrong sooner or later anyway.

On a similar note, one thing that everyone should do with a new car is change the engine oil after 500 miles. I don't care what you are driving. You will save yourself future headaches by spending the $100 or so on this preventive maintenance. Get all the metal fillings and gunk out of your engine.

Note: This is all just my opinion, based on experience and many conversations about this subject with German car mechanics. Your experience may differ, and I certainly don't advocate everyone go out and try to red line their new car constantly or similar behavior. The most important thing is to do what you feel comfortable with. If you don't feel comfortable driving like that then don't.

RR
My Lotus had quite a strict running regime. They checked at the first service (1000 miles) by plugging it in to the computer.

The handbook stated that if the running guidlelines weren't adhered to then the future warranty would be void.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Contributors

I wouldn't worry much about giving it the throttle every now and then during break-in ... I did. As RR said, it's probably good to get things set right.

But it's probably wise to ramp up the work-outs slowly during break-in, and not go crazy all of a sudden. I think BMW is trying to guard against full-rev running all out from the get-go.

You may also want to have the oil changed after break-in. I paid to have mine changed at about 1,750 miles. BMW picked up the oil change tab at the one year service.

Glad you are enjoying the 550i. It does get better the more you drive it.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

"Damn I love this car!!!!"

Funny, I say that every day after driving the car. The car did not like me being so boastful the other night and decided to leave the air conditioning on full blast even after shutting off the car. We have now come to terms about how loud I can shout inside the car and the issue no longer happens.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My understanding is the critical aspect of break in is to vary the engine speed. i.e. city driving, as long as the first 1200 miles are not at a constant rpm such as a staight highway cruise, you will be fine. My dealer said not above 3,000 rpm during break in but my manual said not above 4,500 rpm. (I went with the manual plus about 20%)
Old 02-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by 535dBoy' post='394296' date='Feb 22 2007, 10:30 AM
My Lotus had quite a strict running regime. They checked at the first service (1000 miles) by plugging it in to the computer.

The handbook stated that if the running guidlelines weren't adhered to then the future warranty would be void.
I wouldn't be surprised if BMW can check these things thru the computer. How to break in has been posted soooo many times on all BMW forums you could say its been beaten to death. I don't claim to be an authority on breaking in BMW's,but I will say be patient for the first 1200 miles and then go have your fun an enjoy. I've had 4 BMW's and more to come in the future,( I hope), all 4 were broken in like the manual states and I never used or burned any oil. Do what the experts say, after all they did build the car. Use common sence.
cheers
vern
Old 02-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by vern' post='394371' date='Feb 22 2007, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if BMW can check these things thru the computer. How to break in has been posted soooo many times on all BMW forums you could say its been beaten to death. I don't claim to be an authority on breaking in BMW's,but I will say be patient for the first 1200 miles and then go have your fun an enjoy. I've had 4 BMW's and more to come in the future,( I hope), all 4 were broken in like the manual states and I never used or burned any oil. Do what the experts say, after all they did build the car. Use common sence.
cheers
vern
I guess you're a retired BMW engineer & mechanic too?

Ha ha ha.

Cheers.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by Westcoast 550' post='394350' date='Feb 22 2007, 01:44 PM
My understanding is the critical aspect of break in is to vary the engine speed. i.e. city driving, as long as the first 1200 miles are not at a constant rpm such as a staight highway cruise, you will be fine.

Yes, you are correct. Good point that I forgot to mention earlier.

RR
Old 02-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='394396' date='Feb 22 2007, 03:20 PM
I guess you're a retired BMW engineer & mechanic too?

Ha ha ha.

Cheers.
Poor, very poor joke. want me to get personal?? I'll show you what personal neans Dude
Learn how to read the post hot shot,("authorty") How in the hell are you ever making it in Law practice?
I guess your PM didn't mean S#$t
cheers
vern
Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by vern' post='394405' date='Feb 22 2007, 03:45 PM
Poor, very poor joke. want me to get personal?? I'll show you what personal neans Dude
Learn how to read the post hot shot,("authorty") How in the hell are you ever making it in Law practice?
I guess your PM didn't mean S#$t
cheers
vern
Lighten up, Vern. It was actually fairly amusing, if you step back a bit and look at your earlier post - you gigged me about seatbelts, then called yourself "a retired seatbelt manufacturer". As you thought it appropriate to be tongue-in-cheek with me earlier, I figured it was fair game here too.

Let's not be hypocritical, eh?

And yes, I did send you a PM saying that we got off to a bad start, and wanting to make amends. And yes, I meant it. If you think my post here was personal, I'm sorry for that. I assure you, it was tongue in cheek. No need to toss out threats.

And, my law practice is doing exceptionally well, thanks. If my spelling has you concerned, rest assured, we have spell checkers at the firm.

Perhaps you and I just arent meant to play together.

Cheers.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='394420' date='Feb 22 2007, 04:16 PM
Lighten up, Vern. It was actually fairly amusing, if you step back a bit and look at your earlier post.

Maybe to you

As you thought it appropriate to be tongue-in-cheek with me earlier, I figured it was fair game here too. Let's not be hypocritical, eh?

Your not being hypocritical after the PM ?

And yes, I did send you a PM saying that we got off to a bad start, and wanting to make amends. And yes, I meant it. If you think my post here was personal, I'm sorry for that. I assure you, it was tongue in cheek. No need to toss out threats.

And yes you meant it,what a joke.
Toss out threats. your a joke dude.

And, my law practice is doing exceptionally well, thanks. If my spelling has you concerned, rest assured, we have spell checkers at the firm. "arent"---------aren't

I don't know what exceptionally means in your book but you spend an awful lot of time during the day on the forum for a full time Lawyer.

Perhaps you and I just arent meant to play together.

I'll second that. Take your ball and go home

Cheers.

have a nice day
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: Damn I love this car!!!!