E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Damn I love this car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Just wanted to give a shout out to the E60. With just over 200 miles on the clock so far, I'm still in break-in mode, but I just love the way this car moves.

However, despite the break in, I had to push the RPMs a little over 4k today when some idiot in a Taurus SHO thought it was amusing to ride my ass on the interstate on-ramp, then try to pass me on the left white still ON THE RAMP. So, I dropped her into 3rd, hit the gas, by the time I reached 5th grear, he was a hundred yards behind. I then slowed down to blend back into the flow of traffic, and 15 second later, he caught me, and I had to give him the shaking head while he glared.

The rest of the way to work, all I could think was what a fantastic car we all own. I cant wait to get past the break-in, and already caught myself looking at the Dinan site for a few mods, despite the fact that I'm not really a MOD sort of dude.

Hope all of your days give you a chance to smile like i did this morning.....
Old 02-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='393453' date='Feb 20 2007, 10:02 AM
Just wanted to give a shout out to the E60. With just over 200 miles on the clock so far, I'm still in break-in mode, but I just love the way this car moves.

However, despite the break in, I had to push the RPMs a little over 4k today when some idiot in a Taurus SHO thought it was amusing to ride my ass on the interstate on-ramp, then try to pass me on the left white still ON THE RAMP. So, I dropped her into 3rd, hit the gas, by the time I reached 5th grear, he was a hundred yards behind. I then slowed down to blend back into the flow of traffic, and 15 second later, he caught me, and I had to give him the shaking head while he glared.

The rest of the way to work, all I could think was what a fantastic car we all own. I cant wait to get past the break-in, and already caught myself looking at the Dinan site for a few mods, despite the fact that I'm not really a MOD sort of dude.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your ride as so many of us do. Wait until you have the oppertunity to take a long trip with a lot of twisties then you will get to enjoy. When ever I have to go some place it seams I take the long way to get more enjoyment out of the ride. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 02-20-2007, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay that was you! damn it! (just kidding)

Road rage? kids with big toys fighting on fwy is very dangerous... take it easy.

I have seen idiots blocking other for unknown reason. But most of the cases, because both drivers were waited a fraction of a second and decide to go ahead... it could be a misunderstanding. I don't think too many people want to against you or your new BMW. Also, some older cars acceleration is slow after losing momentum. You knew it if you had a dump car before, but you seem to have nice cars all the way. Be a BMW driver, be nice and don't forget to smile
Old 02-20-2007, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='393453' date='Feb 20 2007, 11:02 AM

Glad you like the car. Its pretty amazing and, believe it or not, you'll appreciate the car more over time.

While not fastest sedan on the planet, its loads of fun dispatching the 99.125% of the vehicles on the road. And yes, its interesting to see how quickly cars become faint specs in your rear view mirror!!!!

Enjoy.

CVT Benhogan
Old 02-21-2007, 03:19 AM
Members

That kind of thing is even more fun when the driver you leave behind/pass spots the diesel badge on the back of your car !
Old 02-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Members

My Ride: Its a 535d M-Sport... 19" Alloys, Carbon Black, Lots of bits and I love it!

Originally Posted by 535dBoy' post='393840' date='Feb 21 2007, 12:19 PM
That kind of thing is even more fun when the driver you leave behind/pass spots the diesel badge on the back of your car !
Aint that the truth...!! You will always get some boy racer thinking their ride will out do any diesel! I would love to see the look on their faces as you just leave them behind!!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:55 AM
Members

AWESOME.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Congrats on the ride bro. Just wait until you get comfortable pushing the car in turns. I love it when someone does that to me on an onramp. I dust them - accelerating into and through the onramp, generally exceeding the speed limit before I'm on the highway. With the sports suspension, you could have likely accelerated in 3rd to a speed that would have sent that SHO into a ditch without exceeding 4000. Onramps can be taken at more than most highways' posted speed limits in these cars. Have fun.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

I cant wait to get past the break-in, and already caught myself looking at the Dinan site for a few mods, despite the fact that I'm not really a MOD sort of dude.
Lawguy,

FYI, the 'break in' period is generally a bunch of BS. You should drive the car from the get-go the way you plan on driving it as long as you own it.

By taking it easier on the car during the initial break-in, it "seats" various portions of the engine and the car in general. What the manufacturers and the Feds want you to do is baby the car initially because it means you'll have very slightly lower emissions and slightly better gas mileage throughout the life of the car.

The flipside is if you gun the hell out of the engine while it's new, you will actually very slightly improve the performance of the car over it's life. However, that will come at the expense of a slight reduction in fuel economy.

These days our cars have several systems built-in to try and prevent people from frying the engine. You really have to try and screw it up. Beyond that, if something goes wrong it would have gone wrong sooner or later anyway.

On a similar note, one thing that everyone should do with a new car is change the engine oil after 500 miles. I don't care what you are driving. You will save yourself future headaches by spending the $100 or so on this preventive maintenance. Get all the metal fillings and gunk out of your engine.

Note: This is all just my opinion, based on experience and many conversations about this subject with German car mechanics. Your experience may differ, and I certainly don't advocate everyone go out and try to red line their new car constantly or similar behavior. The most important thing is to do what you feel comfortable with. If you don't feel comfortable driving like that then don't.

RR
Old 02-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

Really, the way of babying a new car for break-in is an old tradition, just drive the car off the lot like how you normally would drive. If the car breaks, hey, you're covered for the next 4 years (or 50,000 miles) so no worries. Only thing that will cost you out of pocket would be paying a visit to the gas station more often :thumbsdown: Later!

D

Quick Reply: Damn I love this car!!!!