E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cruise control with a manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Originally Posted by Campfamily
The way my car works, and the way I'm pretty sure it's supposed to work after reading my manual, is that the cruise does not initially disengage when you push in the clutch. This allows you to set the cruise in one gear, then shift into another gear (either higher or lower) without having to reset the cruise. But, if you hold the clutch in for more than a few seconds (believe it is six seconds), the car chimes at you, and then disengages the cruise. Kind of a neat feature, if you ask me.

Keith
Looks like you guys with this functionality are all LCI? Could there be a difference between pre/post-LCI?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

The way my car works, and the way I'm pretty sure it's supposed to work after reading my manual, is that the cruise does not initially disengage when you push in the clutch. This allows you to set the cruise in one gear, then shift into another gear (either higher or lower) without having to reset the cruise. But, if you hold the clutch in for more than a few seconds (believe it is six seconds), the car chimes at you, and then disengages the cruise. Kind of a neat feature, if you ask me.

Keith
Looks like you guys with this functionality are all LCI? Could there be a difference between pre/post-LCI?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
Guys - it's a cool feature, not a defect. How are you slowing anyway for traffic with the cruise control on without touching the brake? If you're pushing in the clutch to disengage the engine and coast slower, you're doing it wrong, so stop driving that way (you shouldn't be coasting out of gear - I believe it's unsafe and actually against the law in certain mountainous states/areas). If you want to coast, brush the brakes first (or disengage cruise control from the stalk), and leave it in gear to coast down. If you've got active cruise, as I do, of course slowing is automatic and safe distance is maintained upon a resume anyway.

As it is this function allows you to accelerate on a resume while shifting up through the gears, which is very cool, and yes, unique to any car I've ever had.
I agree with jm545i.
When I use CC and need to coast down my speed, I cancel it by pushing the stick up or down or tap the brake and then let the engine slow the car. I am not a mechanic or engineer, but I would hope my expensive, German engineered drive train could handle it.

My CC stays engaged when I change gears--None of my other manuals have ever done that. I really like it. As one of the responses said above, it's nice to be able to shift from 5th to 6th and back without having to "f" with the CC controls again.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

My 2005 545 disengages the cruise the second I step on the clutch. it does so within the first inch of clutch pedal travel.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Contributors

07 530XI. CC disengages when I step on the clutch.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 545felix
My 2005 545 disengages the cruise the second I step on the clutch. it does so within the first inch of clutch pedal travel.
Odd, as I have essentially the same car. I'm assuming you're saying that pressing the clutch permanently disengages it, so if, for example, you shifted from 6th to 5th or something, and let the clutch out the CC would stay off...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by jm545i
Odd, as I have essentially the same car. I'm assuming you're saying that pressing the clutch permanently disengages it, so if, for example, you shifted from 6th to 5th or something, and let the clutch out the CC would stay off...
yes, it stays off until I press the resume button on the cruise stalk, same behavior as if I press the brake pedal.

It sounds to me like your clutch switch is broken and some other cruise control or digital throttle safety provision is keeping the car from revving like mad.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 545felix
yes, it stays off until I press the resume button on the cruise stalk, same behavior as if I press the brake pedal.

It sounds to me like your clutch switch is broken and some other cruise control or digital throttle safety provision is keeping the car from revving like mad.
Umm, doubtful, but thx. I suppose almost everyone on this thread then has broken clutch sensors. Probably just different software programming for whatever reason.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

Keith
I didn't know that....I'll give it a try next time I'm out.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Contributors

I tested my car today. As soon as I touch the clutch pedal the CC is deactivated. When changing gears I have to hit resume to get CC again.

Now I am getting curious if there is a programmable setting for this. I will start looking.

Btw - I am preparing to retrofit ACC. When I read the BMW technical litterature for this feature, it says that system will alert the driver to change gears up or down if the car has manual transmission. I guess this would only make sense if changing gears did not disabe the CC (ACC). Can anybody withh ACC and manual confirm this functionality?

Quick Reply: Cruise control with a manual transmission