E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cruise control with a manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
It's relative to the gas pedal, I can rev it or let it idle. I can fully change gears and the cruise control stays on. That part is actually nice going up into 6th.
Hmm thats weird - on mine it disengages the CC when I step on the clutch. I have to hit the resume button on the CC stalk when I change gears. Wonder if there is a setting that can be changed with NCSExpert.

Do you have normal CC or ACC?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by thomassteen
Wonder if there is a setting that can be changed with NCSExpert.

Do you have normal CC or ACC?
Normal, and if it's a coding option I'm really interested in the details.

My interruption instructions are different than the ones posted above. It clearly implies the clutch doesn't deactivate it. Makes me wonder what idling mode is with a manual. It lets me take it out of gear no problem. Shift slowly?
Attached Thumbnails Cruise control with a manual transmission-untitled.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

yes it does imply that. how would you "shift very slowly, when you shift the manual transmission into idling mode" without using the clutch?

get your clutch switch checked or replaced. part #

Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys - it's a cool feature, not a defect. How are you slowing anyway for traffic with the cruise control on without touching the brake? If you're pushing in the clutch to disengage the engine and coast slower, you're doing it wrong, so stop driving that way (you shouldn't be coasting out of gear - I believe it's unsafe and actually against the law in certain mountainous states/areas). If you want to coast, brush the brakes first (or disengage cruise control from the stalk), and leave it in gear to coast down. If you've got active cruise, as I do, of course slowing is automatic and safe distance is maintained upon a resume anyway.

As it is this function allows you to accelerate on a resume while shifting up through the gears, which is very cool, and yes, unique to any car I've ever had.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 545felix
yes it does imply that.
This:
When you operate the clutch or engage automatic transmission/SMG position N
verses
when you shift very slowly, when you shift the manual transmission into idling mode, or when ...
?

Implies to me that yes you can shift out of gear in CC. Idling position may be dead center to the gear selector, I never tried that. Last night I shifted out of gear went 'idling' down the road and the CC stayed on. Whether that classified as idling position IDK.

My car will not start without the clutch fully depressed, so it's hard to believe the switch is malfunctioning.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
If you're pushing in the clutch to disengage the engine and coast slower, you're doing it wrong, so stop driving that way (you shouldn't be coasting out of gear - I believe it's unsafe and actually against the law in certain mountainous states/areas).
Yea? I'd look at you like you were crazy, but since I can't I'll just stare at my monitor that way.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
Yea? I'd look at you like you were crazy, but since I can't I'll just stare at my monitor that way.
Don't know which part you're objecting to, but google "coasting in neutral", and read the pluses and minuses. Many of the articles will be surrounding hyper-miling techniques. I know that's not what you're doing - you're just slowing for traffic - but the concept is the same. If you want to coast down, brush the brakes to turn off the cruise control. "Problem" solved. Again, not a defect - a feature!
Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

This is some seriously goofy discussion. Why not just press the cruise buttons to disengage briefly then again to reengage? This way you slow down but aren't f'ing around with the clutch.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by jm545i
Guys - it's a cool feature, not a defect. How are you slowing anyway for traffic with the cruise control on without touching the brake? If you're pushing in the clutch to disengage the engine and coast slower, you're doing it wrong, so stop driving that way (you shouldn't be coasting out of gear - I believe it's unsafe and actually against the law in certain mountainous states/areas). If you want to coast, brush the brakes first (or disengage cruise control from the stalk), and leave it in gear to coast down. If you've got active cruise, as I do, of course slowing is automatic and safe distance is maintained upon a resume anyway.

As it is this function allows you to accelerate on a resume while shifting up through the gears, which is very cool, and yes, unique to any car I've ever had.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with coasting in neutral with a manual transmission. The only potential unsafe situation is when you are either towing or going down a steep grade - and in either case it would be your brakes that save you, not the drivetrain.

The only disadvantage to "coasting in neutral" would be accelerated wear on the clutch and brakepads, and that is completely subject to how the car is driven. If I had to choose, I'd rather fix worn pads or a worn clutch over a worn transmission all day/any day.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pukka
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with coasting in neutral with a manual transmission. The only potential unsafe situation is when you are either towing or going down a steep grade - and in either case it would be your brakes that save you, not the drivetrain.
Yeah, I would agree. Except in snowy descents, it seems like there is more control/less chance for slip to use lower gears to control speed before using brakes.

Quick Reply: Cruise control with a manual transmission