E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cruise control with a manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

^^^ True - forgot about bad weather conditions.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

just one of many interesting days in Seattle this past winter. Had the winter wheels swapped out for the summer set and then it dumped again and I got to find out just how much better the snow tires were.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT Alpine White, 2013 X5 50i M Sport Alpine White

Originally Posted by jm545i
Guys - it's a cool feature, not a defect. How are you slowing anyway for traffic with the cruise control on without touching the brake? If you're pushing in the clutch to disengage the engine and coast slower, you're doing it wrong, so stop driving that way (you shouldn't be coasting out of gear - I believe it's unsafe and actually against the law in certain mountainous states/areas). If you want to coast, brush the brakes first (or disengage cruise control from the stalk), and leave it in gear to coast down. If you've got active cruise, as I do, of course slowing is automatic and safe distance is maintained upon a resume anyway.

As it is this function allows you to accelerate on a resume while shifting up through the gears, which is very cool, and yes, unique to any car I've ever had.
I agree that it's a great feature that none of my previous manuals had. I have found that it's basically intended for changing from 5-6 on a freeway or 4-5 on a street in order to save gas once you're not on an incline that requires lower gears.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Ok - I am 99% sure mine disengages the CC when "dapping" the clutch pedal. I am currently on vacation away from my car, but when I return I will verify to be sure.

Anybody knows which module controls CC? I want to start looking for coding options...
Old 03-28-2012, 10:12 AM
ADD
Senior Members

My transmission will intially NOT disengage upon pressing in the clutch.

On the first few occasions, when I was learning the features of the car, when I would press and hold in the clutch, the revs would almost redline and THEN cruise would be disengaged. It is a bit startling when you aren't expecting it.

I've tried once or twice to downshift while on cruise, (like to pass), and it does NOT disengage.

So it would appear that the cruise is linked to the rev limiter and not the actual clutch movement.

Nevertheless, I only set cruise when I am on a long trip on a major highway, or actively trying to maintain speed on a patrolled road. If I need to slow down or speed up while on cruise I use the stalk in 1 or 5 mph increments, or the brakes, obviously, when needed. I disengage via the stalk when I want to get out of cruise completely.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ADD
the revs would almost redline and THEN cruise would be disengaged. It is a bit startling when you aren't expecting it.
that sounds familiar, i think mine revved up too. I'm on a big trip in a different vehicle but I'll check on this when I get back.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pukka
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with coasting in neutral with a manual transmission. The only potential unsafe situation is when you are either towing or going down a steep grade - and in either case it would be your brakes that save you, not the drivetrain.

The only disadvantage to "coasting in neutral" would be accelerated wear on the clutch and brakepads, and that is completely subject to how the car is driven. If I had to choose, I'd rather fix worn pads or a worn clutch over a worn transmission all day/any day.
Do whatever you want - I really don't care, but there's no additional wear on your transmission if you leave it engaged on coast down, and you're acting to lessen wear on your brake pads and sparing your clutch from wear upon re-engaging if you want to re-accelerate from anything other than a stop, so I really don't see any advantage.

It's quite obvious that BMW didn't design its cruise control feature to encourage neutral or clutch-in coast downs (to do what the OP is doing). They designed it assuming that the driver would manually disengage CC via the brake pedal or the stalk. That's not a defect or a problem, it's a design choice, and my opinion they made the right one... please don't complain about this so that they change it on future models, because I like it!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
They designed it assuming that the driver would manually disengage CC via the brake pedal or the stalk. That's not a defect or a problem, it's a design choice, and my opinion they made the right one... please don't complain about this so that they change it on future models, because I like it!
I really like it for that reason and I wasn't complaining as much as just commenting on the uniqueness of the feature. Never seen it before on a stick shifter.

I started the thread to see if it was a setting somewhere, whether through iDrive or coding.

The cruise works amazingly well and honestly I wouldn't change it to disengage with clutch initiation even if I could.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Mine is the same, depressing the clutch in my manual E61 while on cruise, does 'not' disengage cruise. My car is a European model (UK). It's probably a software coding thing - maybe and older version of the software (my car is 2008).
Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Manual Trans, M-Sport, Logic 7, Nav, Comfort Access, Cold Weather, Folding Rear Seats

Originally Posted by higher
Mine is the same, depressing the clutch in my manual E61 while on cruise, does 'not' disengage cruise. My car is a European model (UK). It's probably a software coding thing - maybe and older version of the software (my car is 2008).
The way my car works, and the way I'm pretty sure it's supposed to work after reading my manual, is that the cruise does not initially disengage when you push in the clutch. This allows you to set the cruise in one gear, then shift into another gear (either higher or lower) without having to reset the cruise. But, if you hold the clutch in for more than a few seconds (believe it is six seconds), the car chimes at you, and then disengages the cruise. Kind of a neat feature, if you ask me.

Keith

Quick Reply: Cruise control with a manual transmission