E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Creaking and Crackling

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Well...speaking form my own experience with my 545 after I applied the Petroleum Jelly I never heard the Creaks again!
Attached Thumbnails Creaking and Crackling-p-jelly.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i Silver Gray Metallic

Originally Posted by syrousd
Well...speaking form my own experience with my 545 after I applied the Petroleum Jelly I never heard the Creaks again!
could you tell me details about where specifically did you apply the jelly? (like, door/ car frame rubber seals, metal frame, the felt that touches the glass window, or else)

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by estchen
could you tell me details about where specifically did you apply the jelly? (like, door/ car frame rubber seals, metal frame, the felt that touches the glass window, or else)

Thanks!
Why would you put the Jelly on your glass or metal frame of your car just rub it on the rubber seals on the door frame as well as the rubber seal on the doors itself. Of coarse if you like to rub it on your windshield,rear window,steering wheel...etc its your call,lol.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i Silver Gray Metallic

Why would you put the Jelly on your glass or metal frame of your car just rub it on the rubber seals on the door frame as well as the rubber seal on the doors itself. Of coarse if you like to rub it on your windshield,rear window,steering wheel...etc its your call,lol.
hahaha you are hilarious, +1 for that.

now what i meant is, the felt that actually touches the top edge of the windows (creating the seal), not applying to the windows. I say this cause i hear a creaking when the windows are up, which i dont hear when they are down.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by estchen
hahaha you are hilarious, +1 for that.

now what i meant is, the felt that actually touches the top edge of the windows (creating the seal), not applying to the windows. I say this cause i hear a creaking when the windows are up, which i dont hear when they are down.
It's all about simple physics and releasing stress. An open window has less structural integrity than a closed one. An open window is easily flexed with the body when it wants to twist thus applying less pressure to the surrounding area. If you took a sheet of 1/4 inch steel and try to bend the edge, it won't be easy but if made a hole in the middle, you could bend it pretty easily. Same principle.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Members

Hi, how about the velvet black lining that runs on top of the door? Do we need to apply it there as well? Thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

NO!!!!! Just the two rubber pieces one on the door and one on the body!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Hmm...I thought silicone and petroleum is bad for rubber in the long run.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

The chemical composition of make a note "PETROLEUM JELLY" isn't the same as Vaseline. That is why I always emphasize "Petroleum Jelly". Vaseline has alcohol in its properties but Petroleum jelly doesn't.

They both seem similar but they are not.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I use 3M Silicone Paste for weatherstrip (rubber only) on all my vehicles, spark plug / electric connector boots, and the electrical connectors on my trailer hitch and trailer. It comes in a thick paste.

(Select for product info)

Quick Reply: Creaking and Crackling