E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Crashed it. 2005 545i

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='754159' date='Dec 28 2008, 04:57 PM
I am not too sure that snow tires would fare any better in ice. Ice is nasty. Maybe if you drive a tank with the metal tracks you might be immune to ice, but other than that it's all about being on the wrong place at the wrong time. BMW RWD is unbeatable as it is a nearly 50/50 weight balanced car.
In Europe (at least in Finland) we call them winter tires because they are not just for the snow but also for the ice. And compared to summer tires, they make a huge difference, in Finland you can get either non-studded or studded versions of those, both will be much better than summer tires during the winter time. And winter tires are not all-season tires but a proper M&S (Mud + Snow) tires.

In addition to that, we have a law to force everyone to drive with winter tires during certain months and also student drivers need to go through the winter driving course. When you live in a place like Finland then you just have to learn driving in the middle of ice and snow or then stay home for the whole winter.

I agree with others that bad tires most likely were major contributor for this incident.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride:

Sorry to hear about that but glad you are ok. We don't get much snow in the LR, mostly just nice messy ice storms. I either take the wifes 4x4 Lexus or just stay home. No matter what you drive there is no solution to driving on ice. My 545 is the best sedan I've ever driven in shitty weather and still it's just not worth taking a chance. Luckily, I can walk home from my store if I need to!!

Hope everything works out for you!!

B
Old 12-28-2008, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

As others have state, I think two factors played into your situation....not the proper tires and and some sort of acceleration, turn, or hard brake on a slippery patch of snow/ice mix. I can tell you folks in Denver are not immune to spin outs regardless of 4WD or tires, ice is ice.

What I typically do if I am running up on a questionable area of the road...is to just let off the gas and let the cars momentum take you through the area in question. If your are not changing the car's direction of travel or adding or subtracting from the car's momentum, then its path will continue to be true.

Glad to hear your okay.....and regarding your lazy statement, just do what I did. I bought a used Toyota 4runner for about $2000, probably the price you'd be pay for a good winter set up (wheels/tires). That way, aside from having something to drive in the soup when its dicey outside, you not only dont worry about yourself, but others who may smash into you. Best insurance you could ever ask for. totally worth it!

Good luck in your next car purchase....but you cant blame the RWD. Just like anything else, there's limits.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I was about to write a post stating how good the replies have been to the OP until I read RUDY'S post. Now I will say that all the replies have been supberb! +!
Old 12-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

I'm pretty sure that if you read your manual, it states that the tires that came on your car are SUMMER ONLY. Purchasing an XI will help you only because it comes with all season tires. If they don't total your car, and you are still too lazy to change the tires twice a year, then get some all season tires. The Nokian WR G2 would do wonders for you.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Contributors

Sorry for learning the hardway not to drive RWD in snow and maybe with not proper tires ?

They call me "chicken at work". Whenever I hear any rumor about snow or ice, I stay working from home? Will continue to do that until I get an xi or X5.

My 2 cents. (advice from the chicken with no head)
Old 12-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

I know exactly what you mean. I have an E60 and and E90 and both are RWD.

But with good winter tires, its possible to control the vehicle and drive safely and SLOWLY.

50MPH on black ice or any kind of ice is totally wrong. I never exceed more than 20MPH, even on highways when its icy.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

My personally preferred method of getting around on ice!!

Crashed it.  2005 545i-p1020294_2.jpg

Icy conditions??? NO PROBLEM!!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Contributors

I am really sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am glad you are ok, and for your sake I hope the insurance totals it out so you can move on from a car you no longer trust.

But, keep one thing in mind, these car weren't designed and built in Saudi Arabia. Germany is a winter wonderland - and a lot of that is taken into consideration. I believe this was a fluke, and the car saved you from more injury that it's design caused for you.

Moral of the story, move to California.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

A week back my wife had the same issue with her Toyota camry, it went through a patch of black ice and hit a pole. I drove on the same spot with my XI and there was no issue. Again this is what she told me, when the car started losing traction, she panicked and hit the gas

Quick Reply: Crashed it. 2005 545i