E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Crashed it. 2005 545i

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

I am not sure the RWD was the main problem. You have had the car for almost four years so you have made it through at least a couple of winters without problems.
Black ice is one of the most dangerous road conditions and almost any car can have trouble on it.
I am glad to hear that you are okay.
Good Luck with the repairs.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='753943' date='Dec 28 2008, 12:10 AM
Until I bought my '07 530xi I drove RWD BMW's beginning in the 1980's with my 1986 524TD.

Lesson learned from learning to drive in Upstate NY winters ... including a few stints at driving on frozen lakes; Never try to "out-drive" the car or your own driving abilities - that's a losing combination.

Snow is somewhat forgiving - ICE never forgives no matter how many wheels you're driving or stopping.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but if you insist on testing the limits of your next car do it in an environment that is less risky to you, your car, or others. For example, EVERY new car I have purchased since 19XX ... was tested at near limits on a deserted parking lot. First snow / ice to see how it accelerated or braked and handled in sharp cornering, etc. Rainy and slick same thing ... dry road handling etc.

Better to slip and slide with hundreds of feet of nothing in the way than on a busy highway with no escape routes and no margin for error.

Sorry this was your very own reality show but it seems that no one was hurt. Cars can be repaired or replaced.
Did you read the entire message?
Old 12-28-2008, 02:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by doctors4bob' post='753930' date='Dec 27 2008, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the kind words, I am lucky. You are right, I should have had better tires on her.

I am also too lazy to deal with switching tires every season, if they total the car I'll get an xi model (maybe even a 3) or another brand but I really don't want to do that, I love my Bimmer.

"too lazy" hmmm, blame yourself then! Something seems fishy here. I find it hard to believe that a car is "fishtailing wildly" at 50mph, that had to be one heck of a long stretch of black ice and it seems you were the only car (and slowest) with any issues. Need more details.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

worn summer tires on winter roads = accident

next time i suggest winter tires even with an xdrive bmw!
Old 12-28-2008, 04:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

I traded in an AWD '04 Yukon Denali for my BMW. It would slide on ice just as much as any car. I was driving to work the other morning and hit a patch of black ice on a small, short bridge, much the same as you described, and I could feel the car lose grip. I was only going 40 tops and the reason I didn't spin was that the bridge was only 10 feet long. The XI didn't and wasn't going to help me.

The only things that do well on ice are ICE SKATES!
Old 12-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i 6M

RWD may not be the problem. I drove a Mustang through 3 winters and a Dodge Magnum R/T through one winter with no issues, and I live in Canada! It's all about the tires. For your next vehicle, I suggest you purchase dedicated winter rims and tires. Check out tirerack.com . It's a bit of a hassle but WELL worth it. Glad to hear you're OK.
cheers
Greg
Old 12-28-2008, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by doctors4bob' post='753912' date='Dec 27 2008, 11:35 PM
It's been a while since I posted here, figured I would as this is the forum that first inspired me to get my 545i.

Stormy day in New Jersey, left work early to beat the weather. Black ice on the road over a low bridge. Literally driving straight under 50 MPH - most other cars were flying by me at 70MPH+. Started to fishtail wildly, then into 360 degree spin, then hit concrete barrier.

Luckily, the 3 cars bearing down on me avoided hitting into me. Scared the crap out of me, but I was OK. Got the car over to the shoulder, towed away, and awaiting insurance report.

Lessons learned:
* Don't drive a RWD car in ANY kind of weather.
* Probably have to get an xi (AWD), I don't think I trust this car anymore, despite the fact that I loved it and it was a tank - probably saved my life.

At what estimate amount do you think the insurance company (GEICO) will total this car?
As others have said, you're lessons learned are not accurate at all...

Clearly your lack of a good winter tire had something to do with the situation. In addition, and I'm not trying to be critical of your driving skills, there are other "human" factors that can play into how your car behaves in these types of conditions -- before and/or during the incident. Things like how much (or how quickly) you applied the gas or the brake, what your steering input was (as well as how quickly you did it), etc. are all way more important than how many drive wheels your car has.

If I based my "lessons" on only the factors you used, then just the other day, when I was climbing slippery hills with my rear-wheel drive car while AWD SUVs where sliding all over the place, I'd conclude that only rear-wheel drive cars are good in the snow!

You need to get yourself four good winter tires and, possibly, some training on winter driving techniques...
Old 12-28-2008, 05:57 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear you're OK. Should not blame the RWD. BMWs were designed in Germany and are driven in Germany in all kinds of bad weather and without the "benefit" of ice melting salt like we do in the states. It's all about taking the proper precautions. I am not too sure that snow tires would fare any better in ice. Ice is nasty. Maybe if you drive a tank with the metal tracks you might be immune to ice, but other than that it's all about being on the wrong place at the wrong time. BMW RWD is unbeatable as it is a nearly 50/50 weight balanced car.

You would never find me driving 50 MPH on a stormy, cold day, ever. Slowing down is the best thing you can do in stormy weather and the heck with everybody else who passes you at 70+ MPH.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Glad to hear you are ok.... Sorry to hear about the ride...

Tonymac
Old 12-28-2008, 06:02 AM
Contributors

I'm sorry this happened to you. horrible. =\

As others have said, get good tires and RWD is awesome in the Winter. I have GoodYear F1 All-Seasons for the winter and they are champs with RWD.

Quick Reply: Crashed it. 2005 545i