E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cracked Wheel(s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard (not investigated it) that there is a major issue in the states with cracked rims. Is this true and is it a real widespread problem?

I can only put it down to the hardness and overfilling of RFT's, combined with jarring due to potholes and concreted slabbed sections of ground pretending to be a Highway...or the shoddy roads in the UK...

If you Google it there are some forum's where this has been talked a lot on.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Monaco Blue 530i - Sprt, prem, cld weather, nav, logic 7 2004 Topaz Blue 330ci - Grey interior, prem, sprt, cld weather, nav, m rims 2006 X5 - Prem, sprt, servotronic, prem snd, panorama roof. 2002 (i know this doesn;t count) IS300 - suede/leather combo, kit, prem, sport

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='796775' date='Feb 19 2009, 12:08 PM
I've heard (not investigated it) that there is a major issue in the states with cracked rims. Is this true and is it a real widespread problem?

I can only put it down to the hardness and overfilling of RFT's, combined with jarring due to potholes and concreted slabbed sections of ground pretending to be a Highway...or the shoddy roads in the UK...

If you Google it there are some forum's where this has been talked a lot on.

I think mine experience is probably attributed to the fact they are replica's and are probably cheap ones at that. I love the look of the rims on the car, especially compared to the stock wheels which are on it now, and before the weather breaks over here I want to decide and get the new wheels on it now. Any other suggestions for nice wheels for a monaco blue e60 that perhaps someone can share some pics of? I have no suspension mods so I'd like to keep to 19 inches if possible and I dont' want to have to deal with rubbing, etc. I like the look of the bigger lip wheels as well.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Members

I'm running Bridgestone Blizzak RFTs and cracked my rear OEM 123. Had it repaired and cracked it again. I gave up and bought a new 123. Guess what? I bent the new one two weeks later

In total this year, I've bent 4 rims. I still feel a vibration in the back so I'm guessing my left rear wheel is also bent. The Chicago area is one of the worse places as far as potholes. I'm going to toss all my wheels in the garbage can. Having them repaired is starting to exceed the wheel's value.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Members

Hi Folks,
I consider myself an expert on cracked and bent wheels because in the last 2 years i have wrecked no less than 8 alloy wheels. All destroyed with good deep Scottish potholes.
Now my last 530d had 18" wheels on it and i lost two rears, these were 275 wide rears and the wheels were split in half all the way around the circumference.
Eventually i changed my 18" for 16" and hit as many potholes but too much rubber to cause any damage. However, the car never looked as good.
Now i have a 535d sport and it would be criminal to change my 18" to 16", it would really look crap. I have had 4 damaged and repaired at a cost of ?50-?80 per wheel.
Now for the guys who are looking to buy the replica wheels. The guy who repairs them has said that the replicas and particularly the chinese replicas are so bad that when you weld them they just disintegrate. They are so soft that they are nearly impossible to repair.
So stick to oem.

cheers
Old 02-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Sorry to hear you cracked your wheels that many times. =/ I live in Queens and the roads are pretty bad too. I travel to the city and on the BQE a lot and i slow down on big potholes or any bumps. I pretty much cause traffic. But that's the only way to drive with 19 inch wheels or bigger.

I'm so lucky that nothing has happened to me yet in NYC with my 20's... Let's pray it doesn't or i'll cry.

I say, get rid of the replicas and get OEM if you want the same look.
Good luck man.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by antconsig' post='796141' date='Feb 18 2009, 04:51 PM
Wish I had heard that beforehand, now it seems like it's too late. The money is not the issue, well you know what I mean to say, my concern is having to go through this all over again with OEM M5 wheels and then they split, etc.

One other question, can I take the new tires (literally less than 25 miles) off my replica's and have them mounted on OEM's if I buy them?
yes of course you could they are only tires lol
Old 02-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Monaco Blue 530i - Sprt, prem, cld weather, nav, logic 7 2004 Topaz Blue 330ci - Grey interior, prem, sprt, cld weather, nav, m rims 2006 X5 - Prem, sprt, servotronic, prem snd, panorama roof. 2002 (i know this doesn;t count) IS300 - suede/leather combo, kit, prem, sport

Originally Posted by mikeg3tsguap' post='798649' date='Feb 22 2009, 12:13 AM
yes of course you could they are only tires lol

Just checking because out here a lot of tire places won't mount/balance a tire off another wheel so I didn't want to assume and then be out of luck. I'm looking at a set of 19 off-set Beyren's but I need to do some more research on the quality.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by antconsig' post='795122' date='Feb 18 2009, 04:39 AM
About two years ago, I bought M5 replica wheels for my 06 530i online. I equipped them with quality tires, etc and I do live in NYC now and we all know what the streets are like here, but I've experienced not 1, not 2, but 3 seperate cracked wheels. Each did occur after a pothole, but not such a jarring pot hole as to damage anything else, and in the first case it was outer lip, second and third were inner lip, the last one I noticed tire was flat, brought it to shop, they inspected wheel and said I needed new tire, put it on, woke up, tire flat again (and ruined) as the wheel had a hairline crack they missed. Obviously I'm not happy but I love the look of the care. Is it possible the replica's are just super cheap and I should invest in a better pair or is it just the cost of having 19's on the car?

I need some help and advice because I want to know whether to scrap the rims for what I can get for them or just try to not drive it around in the city but what fun is that.
I had my 19" ACS reps for over 4 years and touch wood it has been good.
for me if there a crack on the rim, I just get a new 1 it cheap.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I cracked ond of my stock 18s a little while ago and had it repaired. So far, it has been about two months and no problems. My guy is in queens - Astoria, to be exact - if you want to PM me for the number. It cost me 190 with tax, balancing, mounting and all that, so compared to buying a new rim its cheaper.

Though I have a suspicion that RFTs actually don't help when it comes to cracking rims (the tires will be fine, but the rim may crack in a big pothole), I would definitely join the countless people who told you to get OEM - just better quality build, no matter how you look at it. Try to look around for a good used set - you can probably find a set of OEMs used for about what it would cost to get a new rep set: stay on top of ebay and classifieds. I remember, back when I had my Audi, I once bought a set of four stock rims with Michelin tires (I used those tires for more than a year!!! so they were in great shape) for $100 (!!!). So its just a matter of persistence, I think...

anyway, GL man
Old 02-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='800112' date='Feb 24 2009, 04:44 AM
I cracked ond of my stock 18s a little while ago and had it repaired. So far, it has been about two months and no problems. My guy is in queens - Astoria, to be exact - if you want to PM me for the number. It cost me 190 with tax, balancing, mounting and all that, so compared to buying a new rim its cheaper.

Though I have a suspicion that RFTs actually don't help when it comes to cracking rims (the tires will be fine, but the rim may crack in a big pothole), I would definitely join the countless people who told you to get OEM - just better quality build, no matter how you look at it. Try to look around for a good used set - you can probably find a set of OEMs used for about what it would cost to get a new rep set: stay on top of ebay and classifieds. I remember, back when I had my Audi, I once bought a set of four stock rims with Michelin tires (I used those tires for more than a year!!! so they were in great shape) for $100 (!!!). So its just a matter of persistence, I think...

anyway, GL man

Thanks. I'll keep looking around for a deal or perhaps if anyone wants to suggest anything other than OEM M5's for my Monaco Blue E60 I would greatly appreciate it. Looking for 19's possible something with a lip/deeper dish.