E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Continental Extreme Contacts DWS

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d Chip tuning m sport package sport suspension 20" Vertini wheels carbon fiber ipod kit led interior light led angel eyes led side markers

WTF, Over here in Europe you pay 300$ per tire!!! Yes correct: 1200$ for a set!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Originally Posted by top6491
I've had the DWs for almost two years and run them at 38-40 PSI. Very smooth ride. Although the sidewalls are weaker than the Pilot Sports, they are quite a bit less and the tradeoff is worth it IMHO.
Good to know - I haven't had any flat spotting on my tires at 36psi, however if i notice any issues I will bump it up to 38psi.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 AM
Members

I have run the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (225/50/17) through 2+ Ohio winters with about 40k total miles on them. They are inflated to 30 psi on the front and 36 psi on the back (per BMW specs). I have never had any issues with "flatspotting", even in temperatures down to -10F, although with the condition of the roads here in winter, it would be tough to tell. In my opinion, these tires are an excellent all-season choice, they have a very quiet ride, respond well to spirited driving, have excellent handling in snow and rain and wear like iron, not to mention the price is very reasonable compared to Michelin's or other high-performance tires.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

I put Conti DWS's on my last car and while they were a great all-season, I still was far from impressed compared to my previous set of tires. Not sure if anyone has heard of them, but Nokian tires are absolutely amazing...they're known for their Winter Hakkapeliitta series, but their all-season WRG2's are amazing. I got 50k+ miles out of them, they perform awesome in dry weather and pull through the snow almost like a dedicated snow tire. They're a bit pricey ($185/ea for 17") but well worth it. Just thought I'd throw this out there as I just ordered a set for my 535xi http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian+WRG2
Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

I just ditched BF Goodrich Potenza RFs. They wore out in 18-20k all time. The DSWs have been reat for past 2 months Awaiting winter to really test. RFs never moved in snow flakes. Expecting 2-4" to be OK for my 2006 550i. I paid $250each rear and $193 each front installed and balanced.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Btw, the sidewalls are not as great on handling aggressive turns, compared to my RFTs.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i (Sport, Prem, Nav, Logic7, Comf. Seats) Black on Black

Originally Posted by gregg2gs
Btw, the sidewalls are not as great on handling aggressive turns, compared to my RFTs.

Although the stiff sidewalls on the RTF increase your changes of cracking your rim. Found a crack in mine today. The wheel repair place said he sees about 10 cracked BMW wheels a week!!! The tire shop said BMW stands for Bent My Wheel. They said any non-RTF will help.

I went with the Cont DWS for their good wet and snow traction. Per the unbiased Tire Rack video reviews they kick the competitions ass in wet & snow and just a little poorer in dry conditions. I figure you need better traction in wet & snow anyway. $550 total price for my rears 275/35 18.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 AM
Members

had the conti dws installed [front/rear] on late last week with front and rear wheel alignment. these tires are a very smooth quiet ride, but as others have stated due lack somewhat under spirited driving which i did yesterday on two lane well maintained country roads with speeds of 40-100 mph. bottom line >>> if you want a tire that is aggressively performance proven, then don't buy the dws. however, as others have posted this tire seems a great value for the $$$.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Just a follow up to my previous posts regarding the flatspotting. With about 400 miles on them now the flatspotting overnight has gotten considerably less noticeable, however it does seem to still be there for a few miles. At least it is now manageable and otherwise, I have been very impressed overall. They do tend to have a little "squish" to them making the steering feel a bit lighter. I have taken to just leaving the sport mode on all the time to get my steering feel right, but the trade off is rougher shifts on my SMG, so if I have company with me I will take the soft steering and smooth ride, otherwise it's play time all the time!

Will
Old 01-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Cruiser565
Just a follow up to my previous posts regarding the flatspotting. With about 400 miles on them now the flatspotting overnight has gotten considerably less noticeable, however it does seem to still be there for a few miles. At least it is now manageable and otherwise, I have been very impressed overall. They do tend to have a little "squish" to them making the steering feel a bit lighter. I have taken to just leaving the sport mode on all the time to get my steering feel right, but the trade off is rougher shifts on my SMG, so if I have company with me I will take the soft steering and smooth ride, otherwise it's play time all the time!

Will
no issue with flat-spotting [yet] with the coldest temps so far this winter after car setting for 20 hrs. before driving. also, have the pressure set @ 36psi f/r.

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contacts DWS