E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Continental Extreme Contacts DWS

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Oh okay. I guess the flat spotting happens more in colder areas. I guess I won't have that in Socal.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the DWS's out about 6 months ago when I needed rear tires and had a horrible experience the 2 days I had them before I returned them for the OEM ContitouringContacts. The DWS's tramlined really bad and in the corners as soon as there was any lateral load, you could feel the sidewalls flex and the car move around. Granted I drive a little more aggressively than most, but I had no confidence in them, even thought they were the smoothest and most quiet tires I have ever experienced. The DiscountTire tech showed me how thin the sidewall on these were compared to the OEM Conti's, but its mindblowing since the DWS's consistently get really good reviews. Maybe mine were from a defective batch?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Members

We put a set of these on the wife's 530 about 14 months ago and were so impressed we just put some on our son's A6. He has not had to drive in the snow yet but is in graduate school in the mountains of Virginia so I expect he will be soon. We are all really happy and I would surely buy these tires again. I am sure he does more spirited driving than we do and he has not voiced any concerns. We frequently let the wifes car sit for a week or more and have not had an issue with the tires flat spotting. It is not often cold here on the coast of N.C. however.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by kushane
I tried the DWS's out about 6 months ago when I needed rear tires and had a horrible experience the 2 days I had them before I returned them for the OEM ContitouringContacts. The DWS's tramlined really bad and in the corners as soon as there was any lateral load, you could feel the sidewalls flex and the car move around. Granted I drive a little more aggressively than most, but I had no confidence in them, even thought they were the smoothest and most quiet tires I have ever experienced. The DiscountTire tech showed me how thin the sidewall on these were compared to the OEM Conti's, but its mindblowing since the DWS's consistently get really good reviews. Maybe mine were from a defective batch?
Since you consider yourself an aggressive driver, why did you go with the OEM Contitouring?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kushane
Yes, DWS has a softer side wall. It's what helps to make them comfortable and quiet. Any all season tire is not designed for aggressive driving. People like the DW version for that. Also, 2 days is not enough to break a tire in unless you went a few hundred miles during those 2 days. Tirerack recommends a break-in period of 500 miles before the tires perform to it's full potential. After that, the squirmy tramline will disappear.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=5
Old 01-06-2012, 04:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Quick question.... I have had them on my 545I sport for just 24 hours now and have already noticed just about every pro and con listed in this thread. They are AMAZINGLY quiet compared to the OEM runflats and the ride is like riding in a Rolls Royce by comparison, however they are a little soft in the corners and do tend to break free in spirited cornering. Not that big of a deal for me, I just need to get home in the occasional snow flurry in VA. The biggest concern is the flatspotting. They sat out overnight in the low 30's and immediately I noticed the flat spot this morning. It went away after about 10 minutes or so, but it was fairly bad. My question is, did we ever come up with a consensus as to a air pressure that would help eliminate this?

Thanks,

Will
Old 01-06-2012, 05:17 AM
Members

I received a set of 4 Conti DWS this week that I ordered from Amazon with free shipping and about 5 business days. First thing I took note of is the thinness of the sidewalls as previously mentioned. Am going to assume that this may contribute in part to the flat-spotting as also stated. I'll be getting these installed next week along with a full (4 wheel) alignment and will follow-up here. I was seriously considering other tires, but went with these as the free shipping was the deal-maker, and as I have had other major issues arise that are home related, I need to address those as well. So, somewhat a Blessing in disguise...
Old 01-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Been running the DWS's now since the summer. Switched from runflats and honestly couldnt be happier. I drive almost 100 miles per day, and some days as much as 200-250 (I work in Northern Ct and during the NHL season will drive an hour north to work and then all the way to NYC for Rangers games). Its a lot of driving and I would consider myself a "spirited driver". When I test drove my 545 I also test drove a 745 Li and chose the 545 because it handled much better for my driving style (IMO). Anyway, I can say now since our temps have been in the teens and the occasional single digit, they have not flat spotted nor do they feel squishy in turns during spirited driving. I have become quite comfortable with the feel they provide and trust them fully. They are showing very little wear so far and handle rain and flurries quite well (unlike the runflats which would kick out on me with very little precip and a feathering of the gas pedal!)

Drove almost 4 hours each way to Philadelphia for the NHL Winter Classic this past Monday, and then to NYC and back last night - no vibrations - no pressure issues - no flat spotting. Additionally, the car will sit in my garage on really nice summer days because I opt to drive my Jeep (no top and no doors is a plus) and will also sit in my garage for days at a time when there is snow on the ground - even with All Seasons I am not an idiot! Again, no flat spotting. Maybe I got a good batch?? But I would buy them again without hesitation.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Contributors

Just saw this regarding flatspots

http://www.autogeek.net/tire-supports.html
Old 01-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by balbs
Just saw this regarding flatspots

http://www.autogeek.net/tire-supports.html

pricey lil boogers though...and i wouldnt want to drive onto these each and every night as some have reported of flat-spotting to the next day.

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contacts DWS