E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Confused about Passenger Restraint System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Was This Ever Resolved?

Does anyone know how this was ever resolved.

I have a similar issue and am very curious to know!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

I have had the error for over a year. The occupancy sensor is fine. I used DIS recently and got an error for passenger side front airbag sensor. I changed the sensor cleared codes with DIS and INPA but the error is still there. I have no clue what to try next.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:47 PM
New Members

Default No Resolve Then

I resolved read post below!

Last edited by IGot5onIt; 12-18-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:33 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by IGot5onIt

Maybe just replace the SGM module? It's easy enough to get to!
Replacing parts on assumptions and guesses is a wrong way, IMHO. Easily accessible part may/may not be the root cause of the issue.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 AM
New Members

Default Airbag System Timing Errors

For my particular airbag issues I apparently had airbag system timing errors.

The airbag system needs to be able to synchronize a certain timing value. This can happen after programming and coding airbag ECUs.

I resolved my issue by using BMW Tool32 and selecting individually each airbag module affected (the correct .prg file from the correct ECU family) and then going to systemzeit_lesen (system time write) and inserting the value of 1. You then need to execute the job.

Move to the next affected airbag module and repeat process.

I don't believe all of the modules (the SZL) in my case had the system time write function, so skip it and do everything else.

Best of luck to anyone with similar issues! This was a real "bear" to resolve, but the "bear" has now been slayed!

Don't forget to wipe all errors in INPA and perform a system pre-drive check as well in your main airbag module, if necessary!

Get this out on the internet!

Last edited by IGot5onIt; 12-18-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 AM
New Members

Has anyone had success getting recall/warranty work done for this issue on a 2006 530xi?

I spoke with BMW NA and they are showing no open recalls for my vehicle and nothing related to passenger restraint system.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60

I had the same warning code, after a $110 inspection from the STEALER, they claimed it is the BST cable. I did not pay to do what they told to do. I am still researching on what I can do to fix it. I might try cleaning IM/EM while I can. My 08 535i is not covered by the recall, said by my STEALER...

way to go to solve this...
Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 AM
New Members

Default BST would list in INPA

If you have INPA software the issue will show itself in the airbag gateway module as BST bad. Either the voltage or BST "bad" will display in INPA.

At least you can verify the issue that way. Get a list of error codes (a print out) from the dealer as well to verify against your web research of the error(s).

Voltage/resistance, system timing errors, bad force limiter sensors, seat mat sensors are typical airbag issues, unless one of the modules is just bad or the connection is not sat properly.

I know all diagnostic software can sometimes relate bogus or actual unrelated to issue errors. The system was telling me I had resistor issues and all kinds of weird stuff on mine. I was confused, so I just started checking everything.

Basically to resolve my issue, I just reset the timing while trying a myriad of things and the issue cleared. Phew!

I was getting desperate on my end, but yeah the BST could very well be the issue.

You just need to verify it.

Last edited by IGot5onIt; 12-31-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Silver - E60

Originally Posted by IGot5onIt
If you have INPA software the issue will show itself in the airbag gateway module as BST bad. Either the voltage or BST "bad" will display in INPA.

At least you can verify the issue that way. Get a list of error codes (a print out) from the dealer as well to verify against your web research of the error(s).

Voltage/resistance, system timing errors, bad force limiter sensors, seat mat sensors are typical airbag issues, unless one of the modules is just bad or the connection is not sat properly.

I know all diagnostic software can sometimes relate bogus or actual unrelated to issue errors. The system was telling me I had resistor issues and all kinds of weird stuff on mine. I was confused, so I just started checking everything.

Basically to resolve my issue, I just reset the timing while trying a myriad of things and the issue cleared. Phew!

I was getting desperate on my end, but yeah the BST could very well be the issue.

You just need to verify it.
Will this warning, restraint system malfunction, disable my airbag, when accidents occur? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 750i Fully loaded (Air cooled seats/ Heated Seats

You won't believe this "

Arrugh .. I had a guy go crazy cleaning my passenger seat and of course after I drive off
my light started firing up.

Finally I get the mother of all lights ... 'Passenger Restraint Light ON!'

So I go on line to fine some easy shit I can do.... What the HELL I found is this brain surgery and 'Total Recall' of some cars... Come on MAN!!!

Then I get to this one 'Tech Answer' and he say's this:

NO BULLSHIT

Clean the hell out of your seat with 'Saddle Soap' then apply a Conditioner .... "WHAT!!!

Yup so I go out and get some Saddle Soap $9.50 (ouch) Conditioner ($8.50)

It 'FREAKIN WORKED !!!!

He says that the sensor stick to the leather when either to damp or wet (whichever) but say the Saddle soap cleans the leather and the conditioner shrinks it taunt ... which picks it off the sensor ......

It worked for me today. Too funny!

Quick Reply: Confused about Passenger Restraint System Malfunction