E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A complete list of well known problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006 | 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ShaTR' post='334571' date='Sep 15 2006, 02:11 AM
anyways, if i buy used 3yrs old 40k km (25k miles), will all these little glitches be covered by my local dealership should they come up?? I'm into beemers, but not at the expensive of my bank account. lol
Forgot to answer this...

The computer glitches are covered, of course, because it's not your fault and those glitches are known and when BMW issues a fix, then you'll get it if you complain about the problem.

Don't be worried!
Old 09-14-2006 | 04:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 03 Accord coupe EX-L 5MT

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='334572' date='Sep 14 2006, 08:18 PM

Yeah, the Japanese car manufacturers don't have as many problems, but they are allways about two years behind. The let the others do the testing.
They are not bad cars, but when you want the ultimate "driving" experience, you HAVE to buy a BMW. It handles way different, way better than any Honda or other Japanese car.
And you can trust me, many posts about very very minor stuff. I could post a list about stuff that's not 100% perfect in my cra, but I love my car and have no regrets. All those problems are so minor I don't really bother driving to the dealer. I just wait until I have about five or six glitches and then get a new software uploaded.
Having an advanced computer on wheel like a BMW has more advantages than disadvantages, believe me.
I love perfection, and even though BMW's are far from it, when it comes to the computer, I do love my car and would buy it again!
agreed, they perfect things a little more before putting them into cars, but i care little about such computer instruments. i like the confort + performance that BMW's can offer. 3's are a bit small for my taste. rattles and small annoyences, i'll fix myself. i just throw felt everywhere.

anyways, i know its gonna drive me crazy with all the little problems its gonna have, and im not one of those people that can live with a problem. i HAVE to get it fixed asap or it drives me nuts. i just hope the aggrivation is worth the confort and speed. as long as the computer system doesn't glitch out like crazy all the time, and my windows/doors/lights have no problems, im happy.

and that 5-6 probelms SCARED THE HELL OUTTA ME, but apparently, your talking about stuff that can be fixed with sotware updates, so i guess thats no biggie. how often do they release new updates???????

btw, honda's may be fwd, but they can sure as hell handle. the slight advantage that the beemer has (rwd) on the road, especially with just street rubber is negligable and a non-issue IMO. now american cars, those can't hit turns for horse doodoo

oh, btw, forgot to mention, but thanks for the help. greatly appreciated
Old 09-14-2006 | 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ShaTR' post='334575' date='Sep 15 2006, 02:36 AM
...btw, honda's may be fwd, but they can sure as hell handle. the slight advantage that the beemer has (rwd) on the road, especially with just street rubber is negligable and a non-issue IMO. now american cars, those can't hit turns for horse doodoo ...
Not as a BMW.
It might be good, but once you feel the other side, BMW... YOu won't go back.

Talking about the problems...

For example I've had it once that I starte the engine and got warnings flashing, such as no seatbelt, I had it on, window malfunction, didn't touched them, etc... I turned the engine off, restarted, everything fine.
Also I had no chimes, but warning messages, same problem, restart, everything fine. Such stuff is a "bug", but it's not worth driving to the dealer for an update, as long as it only happens ones, or maybe twice.
My idrive rebooted itself a couple times while driving, mostly in the first six months, but the reboot took 20 seconds and everything was back to normal, even the guidance of the nav was still there.
So, all in all, I BET you can live with those glitches.
Old 09-14-2006 | 04:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='334579' date='Sep 14 2006, 08:46 PM
Not as a BMW.
It might be good, but once you feel the other side, BMW... YOu won't go back.

Talking about the problems...

For example I've had it once that I starte the engine and got warnings flashing, such as no seatbelt, I had it on, window malfunction, didn't touched them, etc... I turned the engine off, restarted, everything fine.
Also I had no chimes, but warning messages, same problem, restart, everything fine. Such stuff is a "bug", but it's not worth driving to the dealer for an update, as long as it only happens ones, or maybe twice.
My idrive rebooted itself a couple times while driving, mostly in the first six months, but the reboot took 20 seconds and everything was back to normal, even the guidance of the nav was still there.
So, all in all, I BET you can live with those glitches.
well, i may be bias, but i can sure as hell handle better wiht my tein springs, TL-S rear sway, and koni yellows on my accord than my friends 740 with springs and much bigger tires. also better than my mums 325xi, but she has stock rubber/suspension.

for comparison sake, my car stock suspension seems to handle as well as a E34 or 39 on stock. hanv't driven the new ones yet, but i expect it to be the same. remember, the beemers are much heavier cars. anyways, after upgradeing my suspension, im sure i'll be outhandling most things, but i don't see a 5 handling a turn like a teg or rsx... but thats good nuff for me.
Old 09-14-2006 | 05:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

18,000 miles, only problem was the active steering fault, which was fixed. I have not had any of the other problems mentioned by others. I guess most of the bugs were fixed by time the 2006s were rolled out. This car is awesome and rock solid.
Old 09-15-2006 | 08:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

This is what I thought of Hondas. But I have been lurking on Honda Odysseys forum recently, since I just got an Odyssey. I found out that there are many problems associated with Odysseys as well. The most severe problem relates to 99-02's transmission, where a poll indicated that a whopping 34% had it replaced!!!! Other
glitches like sun roof, power doors, DVD players going bad (I have it)....noises also occur very frequently.

In comparison, I really don' like to use Honda dealer's service department, where they treat you like a schmuck. When I need service for my E60, I get a free loaner, coffe, donut, car wash, and get my car returned on time promissed.
Old 09-15-2006 | 09:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' post='334820' date='Sep 15 2006, 12:57 PM
This is what I thought of Hondas. But I have been lurking on Honda Odysseys forum recently, since I just got an Odyssey. I found out that there are many problems associated with Odysseys as well. The most severe problem relates to 99-02's transmission, where a poll indicated that a whopping 34% had it replaced!!!! Other
glitches like sun roof, power doors, DVD players going bad (I have it)....noises also occur very frequently.

In comparison, I really don' like to use Honda dealer's service department, where they treat you like a schmuck. When I need service for my E60, I get a free loaner, coffe, donut, car wash, and get my car returned on time promissed.
haha, well, honda auto tranny's have always been a problem. mine is stick, so no worries. but yeah, even the 6th generation and early 7th gen accord auto trannies had problems.

btw, honda dealerships have all that stuff too. for free. donughts, coffee (markham honda even has capuchino and a drink counter with someone serving), etc. not everyone gets a free loaner, but i do any time i ask for one, but i got a relative who's the manager at one honda. oh, and car wash too. only comes with major service, but if you request it, they never turn you down. agreed, not all honda dealerships are like that, but the 2 i deal with tend to be very high-class. leather couches, plasma tv's, a few computers for internet, wireless, etc. its not like it was 10 yrs ago

also, my cd changer/climate control/head unit backlights went out, and there is a known TSB with them, however, my car is now out of warrenty by 10 months, but honda went ahead and did a complementary replacement (not fix) on it. fix cost would have been 250 + labour, replacement is 900 + labour. got a new one for FREE! how often has mercedes or BMW done that for my parents.....

regardless, this is abotu the car, not the dealership. i'll take the plunge. worst case senerio, it costs me some more money, and i know better for next time.
Old 09-15-2006 | 11:37 AM
hmc
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='334572' date='Sep 14 2006, 05:18 PM

They are not bad cars, but when you want the ultimate "driving" experience, you HAVE to buy a BMW. It handles way different, way better than any Honda or other Japanese car.
It may handle different but I am not sure it handles always better. Z3 handles worse than Miata for example. Look at Z3 1.9L. What a loser.

I wouldn't consider BMW in general if I want "Ultimate Handling Machine". I consider "Ultimate Driving Machine" as ultimate balance between handling and riding.
Old 09-15-2006 | 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by hmc' post='334862' date='Sep 15 2006, 12:37 PM
It may handle different but I am not sure it handles always better. Z3 handles worse than Miata for example. Look at Z3 1.9L. What a loser.

I wouldn't consider BMW in general if I want "Ultimate Handling Machine". I consider "Ultimate Driving Machine" as ultimate balance between handling and riding.
I agree.
Old 09-15-2006 | 11:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hmc' post='334862' date='Sep 15 2006, 03:37 PM

haha, yeah, but miata is one light quick little rwd car. the beemers got more style. either way, both chick cars.

beemers are just a good mix of everything. luxury, performance, handling, etc. M3/5, now thats closer to ULTIMATE

Quick Reply: A complete list of well known problems