E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Complete Electrical Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012 | 06:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by korrosive
I myself do not have a clue what those would be, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in. Sucks to hear about the car dying and needing a jump. So do you know how they were able to pull these fault messages? Was it simply through the OBD connector?
Yes, they pulled it via the OBD port. I found out the final stage is the blower regulator, usually goes with the blower motor. No luck on the servotronic or the stepper motor controllers. I need that steering switch unit. I thought my indicators worked but they don't from the steering but if I put on the hazards they do flash. I'm also wondering if that could be the cause of my wipers not working.
Old 02-01-2012 | 06:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Yes, they pulled it via the OBD port. I found out the final stage is the blower regulator, usually goes with the blower motor. No luck on the servotronic or the stepper motor controllers. I need that steering switch unit. I thought my indicators worked but they don't from the steering but if I put on the hazards they do flash. I'm also wondering if that could be the cause of my wipers not working.
Cool. I used an all in one piece that did not show any faults, but I'm thinking the one that was used was not compatible. As soon as I get the connector I ordered in I'll try to get a listing of the errors.
Old 02-01-2012 | 07:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Cool. I used an all in one piece that did not show any faults, but I'm thinking the one that was used was not compatible. As soon as I get the connector I ordered in I'll try to get a listing of the errors.
Hopefully you get a read out, is the dash completely dead? If you are getting errors just by starting the car then that's a good sign, the computer is not dead.

I took out the back seat today, it was wet under there and I found a little wire and connector that says 'battery,' not sure where it goes. I also pulled up some of the front passenger side, not wet but it looked like it was dried out. Trying to air it out a little.
Old 02-01-2012 | 08:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I am pretty sure the servotronic malfunction has to do with the steering... pump maybe? You indicated you have no power steering - I think its related. Hopefully someone else chimes in.
Old 02-01-2012 | 09:35 PM
Contributors

Hopefully you get a read out, is the dash completely dead? If you are getting errors just by starting the car then that's a good sign, the computer is not dead.

I took out the back seat today, it was wet under there and I found a little wire and connector that says 'battery,' not sure where it goes. I also pulled up some of the front passenger side, not wet but it looked like it was dried out. Trying to air it out a little.
The instrument cluster has some info (like window warning, some sign that looks like the car is hoisted, among others). I took out the back seats, and under that was dry, but under the carpet though is wet. I can't remove the front seats to remove all the carpeting. One thing I'll do is douse the wiring harness with WD40 to hopefully try and drive out any moisture in there.
Old 02-02-2012 | 09:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

The instrument cluster has some info (like window warning, some sign that looks like the car is hoisted, among others). I took out the back seats, and under that was dry, but under the carpet though is wet. I can't remove the front seats to remove all the carpeting. One thing I'll do is douse the wiring harness with WD40 to hopefully try and drive out any moisture in there.

If you dont get that carpet and padding up and that wiring harness dry as can be you are just setting yourself up for issues down the road. Corrosion takes time to set in - as does mold and mildew. Everything will look great until you start getting random warnings, errors and christmas tree lights on the dash along with a smell of mold which is a major health hazzard. Not sure the WD40 is gonna cut it. Every major piece of electronics from the battery to the engine runs off that harness - $8k worth of harness!!!! Get the rugs and padding up and out... set up the fans and dehumidifiers...
Old 02-02-2012 | 12:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Went in there today and nothing, no power whatsoever, not sure what to do. I tried to jump but even when it is hooked up no lights came on anywhere. I am wondering if it has to do with that wire under the back seat it was just sitting there. Maybe I disturbed something by pulling the carpet and the backseat.
Old 02-02-2012 | 01:08 PM
Senior Members

I am pretty sure the wire you found under the rear seat that says battery is only used during shipping of the car. It has nothing to do with what you are experiencing right now.
Old 02-02-2012 | 01:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I am pretty sure the wire you found under the rear seat that says battery is only used during shipping of the car. It has nothing to do with what you are experiencing right now.
Just tried it again, the lights came on as soon as I opened the door. I tried to start it up but it went completely dead again. I wonder if it has to do with the Car access system?

This is a pic of the wire I was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Complete Electrical Rebuild-imag0223.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012 | 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Just tried it again, the lights came on as soon as I opened the door. I tried to start it up but it went completely dead again. I wonder if it has to do with the Car access system?

This is a pic of the wire I was talking about.
Yup, that wire has nothing to do with anything your car is experiencing now... I believe its for shipping the car only.

Quick Reply: Complete Electrical Rebuild