E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CIP 20 & MP3

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 02:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Streak!
I use Windows Media Player to rip the music?s from the audio CD to a library on my hard disc. Then, in the folder My Music you get all your CD's organized by Artist/Album/Song. Don't forget to set the output to MP3 and the bit rate. I'm using 128Kb/s.
Then, to actually burn de CD's, I'm using Nero Burning Rom, option CD-ROM. You just have to move the folders (Albums) you like to your target CD and when complete, (not exceeding 700 M burn it with the lowest speed available.
Also, use good quality CD's, because the BMW reader is quite sensitive with both: low quality CD's and high speed burnings.
Now, if you have Bus.Nav you can use both, CD's or DVD's. If you have Pro.Nav you still can use both but if you use DVD's, your navigation system can't work. It doesn't work without the Nav DVD in the drive.
Good luck!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:53 AM
Senior Members

Obrigado Fpinto,
I could not get it to work using Nero but could using WMP burn. The titles would not appear but that may be another problem.

Streak
Old 01-13-2006, 03:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by streak' post='223659' date='Jan 13 2006, 05:53 AM
Obrigado Fpinto,
I could not get it to work using Nero but could using WMP burn. The titles would not appear but that may be another problem.

Streak
The titles are retrieved automatically from the Net by Windows Media Player, but you can replace it by your owns if you don?t like them. When I retrieve information of Portuguese music it normally comes with wrong spelling and I have to change it. Also I like to add other things, like: Authors, (music & lyrics), date, type, etc.
If you have any doubt please just tell us, I?ll try to answer.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

The correct titles are displayed by WMP and burnt to the disk when I select the WMP burn option.

The titles will not appear on the Idrive display when played in the car though.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by streak' post='223679' date='Jan 13 2006, 06:57 AM
The correct titles are displayed by WMP and burnt to the disk when I select the WMP burn option.

Well, unless you have not set up your burning software properly! I?m using Nero 7 and the only set up I?ve done was:
File system: ISO 9660 + Joliet
File name length: Max. of 31 chars (Level 2)
Character set (ISO): ISO 9660 (standard ISO CD-ROM)
Allow path depth of more than 8 directories
Allow more than 255 characters in path
Allow more than 64 characters for Joliet names
And that?s all.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

When I used Nero the MP3's would not play, when I used WMP they would. WMP does not seem to have the options that you mention above.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by streak' post='223686' date='Jan 13 2006, 07:22 AM
When I used Nero the MP3's would not play, when I used WMP they would. WMP does not seem to have the options that you mention above.
WMP for riping musics and Nero to burn it.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 14th Oct 05 delivery, 525d SE Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Dark Poplar, Adaptive Xenon, Prof Radio, Prof Nav, 6 CD Changer, BT, Advanced A/C, Electric Seats, Heated Front Seats, Thru Load/Ski Bag

Originally Posted by fpinto' post='223287
My car is back, after almost a week for service. Oil + filters change and some small repairs, (noise from the steering wheel, noise from the back, broken lock of glove compartment, etc.) and, after a long, long waiting, s/w update to CIP 20 with MP3 capability.
And guess what? it works and works just fine. I?m so happy to get finally such a nice to have feature.
The noise from the back is still there, but the dealer has identified the origin of such noise. It is something to do with the back safety belts. As soon as the dealer gets the new items, already ordered, he calls me to do the replacement.
I believe I was very lucky when I decided to buy my car at this Dealer, they are just great.
Well back to the important thing, MP3? I?ve burned a CD for testing and decided to organize it in the following way:
- Root
- Artist/Band
- Album (Actually the CD)
- Music (Each song of the CD)
It works exactly that way, it?s superb!
Following some (bad) pictures I?ve taken last night to show you how it looks like.
Well, let's see if it works now!

I've also burned a DVD+RW with the same structure but with some more folders.
First I put it in the first drive but no deal! Then I put it in the second drive, (NAV DVD out) and yeesss... it works, with much more songs on it.
[/quote]

I have MP3 on my Oct 05 Week 39 production E60, However the pictures posted seem to show an improvement in the file name handling. On my E60 only the current track displays the full filename and tag info, all others are limited to 8 characters
Old 01-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Originally Posted by streak' post='223686' date='Jan 13 2006, 08:22 AM
the problem that I found with WMP is that I could not figure out how to create folders and sub folders

What is displayed initially on the idrive screen is the file name (something.mp3) then if you play the file you will get the song name and artist name

The file hane you see when burning - in wmp can not change (at least I do no know how)

The song and artist name you can change in wmp, but not in nero

I found that I had to use sony dc-r
had a bunch of memorex cd-rw and never got a consistant burn
wmp does burn more consistently that Nero

I did slow the nero burn speed down to 4X and checked for errors
Old 01-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by streak' post='223679' date='Jan 13 2006, 04:57 AM

Did you make WMP convert them to MP3 files before you burned the CD? If so, are you sure that WMP is burning them as MP3 files and not as regular CDA files?

Streak, you probably already know this, but since it is an issue that keeps surfacing from time to time I thought I would post it for those who may not know. Some people have burnt MP3 files to a CD but their burning software has converted the MP3's to regular CDA (CD Audio) files before burning them. Then they try playing it in the E60 cd drive and it plays, which leads them to assume that their car can play MP3's. However, it turns out that the CD is just a regular audio CD because the burnng software converted the MP3's to CDA files before burning the CD. Since they are regular audio CD's the track names will not show up on the iDrive screen. One way to check whether the burnt CD is a regular audio CD is to try to play it on a regular cd player (home or portable CD player WITHOUT MP3 capability), if it plays then it was burnt as an audio CD. One can also look at the CD on the computer and see if the tracks are shown as MP3 files or not.

Quick Reply: CIP 20 & MP3