E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Checking Interest : PnP cable for the tail-light Ricky Effect

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Silver A08. CF Kidney Grills, Vossen CV1's 20x9, 20x10.5, wrapped with Hankook Evo's, RPI exhaust, ACS trunk spoiler, K&N Filter, CF Front Splitter, Updated Lighting interior and out (HID's and LED's), rear LCI Conversion w/V6.1 cables (Ricky Effect).

Just bought my LCI tails for my pre-LCI 2007 550i and got them today. The lights came with the V6 Harness. I am definitely interested in this Ricky effect mod. What is the situation at this point? Has Bruce given up? Are we considering an additional harness, or can the V6 box be modified in some way? Please advise on the present plan. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I've definately not given up but I have been put off with the safety aspects of this mod. But just two weeks ago I came up with a new design for this, which I think its a lot safer than what Ricky put together.

I will be releasing this shortly as a kit on its own. I will then follow that up with a pnp version for people who already have the LCI or my cables.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
I've definately not given up but I have been put off with the safety aspects of this mod. But just two weeks ago I came up with a new design for this, which I think its a lot safer than what Ricky put together.

I will be releasing this shortly as a kit on its own. I will then follow that up with a pnp version for people who already have the LCI or my cables.
I also interesting which my parts is not safety enough. Haha
Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Silver A08. CF Kidney Grills, Vossen CV1's 20x9, 20x10.5, wrapped with Hankook Evo's, RPI exhaust, ACS trunk spoiler, K&N Filter, CF Front Splitter, Updated Lighting interior and out (HID's and LED's), rear LCI Conversion w/V6.1 cables (Ricky Effect).

Does the new design incorporate a new box altogether, or an additional harness in series with the V6 box? Please advise.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Contributors

The op post should really say what the hell a ricky brake effect is in the first place.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Members

Mu understanding is that he wants to reconfigure the appearance of the lighting so that the wings that light up when you activate the lights can also function more effectively when you depress the brake pedal. The regular lighting is not effectively bright enough, so if we incorporate the fog light feature into the braking it would be far more noticeable.

Bottom line. The Ricky effect incorporates the fog light feature into the braking so that the brake pedal function lights up much more brightly. If you look back in this thread you will see a picture that if you click on it, you will see the actual end result.
I hope this helps explain it a bit.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d -08 lots of goodies 120dA -06

I recall seeing in the manual that there are two stages of the brake light, does this mod replace both or only one?
Old 10-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

I think it would be an interesting mod. Is there a fix for an LCI model?
Old 10-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The Ricky brake effect was designed by Ricky. What is does is uses the circle light (fog) as the Brake and all other bulbs are removed from the light. This means that even when you brake you see the LED light bars and they don't disappear in front of the bulbs.
However the problem with this design is that you loose your BFD, rear fog and your rear brake is now considerably smaller than BMW intended. But some people really really want that!
Old 10-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Members

The Ricky brake effect was designed by Ricky. What is does is uses the circle light (fog) as the Brake and all other bulbs are removed from the light. This means that even when you brake you see the LED light bars and they don't disappear in front of the bulbs.
However the problem with this design is that you loose your BFD, rear fog and your rear brake is now considerably smaller than BMW intended. But some people really really want that!
I'm guessing the kit would need to be removed to pass the UK MOT test as you would not have rear fogs...

Quick Reply: Checking Interest : PnP cable for the tail-light Ricky Effect