E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Checking Interest : PnP cable for the tail-light Ricky Effect

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Folks,

I've received a lot of interest to build people cables to achieve the Ricky Brake effect. I can provide such cables but in order to work out some prices I need to know what the true interest is like. Personally I do not recommend this modification because I think its unsafe, there is a good reason why BMW choose to make the Brake light so noticeable on the tail-lights.

Adding your name to the list is not a commitment.

I need your names in two lists.

PRE-LCI

LCI

If you have the V6 and you would like an add-on module to achieve this then please make a separate list.

PRE-LCI V6
Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interested, pre LCI(v5 cables)
Old 07-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Members

Pre-LCI v6 - depending on pricing I'd be interested as well.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:19 AM
Members

PRE-LCI - highly depending on price, I too would be interested. ??better deal for those getting the lights as well as the PnP Ricky Effect cable together
Old 07-12-2010, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by aresh
interested, pre LCI(v5 cables)
another pre LCI with V5s, interested as well, but depending on price. I can't justify another $250 to do this.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

For people who have rear fog lights, you will need to be prepared to loose your rear fog light for this. I am unwilling to make a cable where the fog light bulb is used both for the Brake and the rear fog, that is really a safety hazard. If I provide the fog light as well, then in a fog when the rear fogs are ON and you hit the Brakes a driver behind you will need to watch only for the high mounted brake light and the fact that the LED rods become brighter, which may not be sufficient.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Pre-LCI w/ v6 cable
Old 07-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 Titanium Gray, Sport and Premium Package, Navigation, Sirus Radio

Pre-LCI w/ v6 cable
Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
For people who have rear fog lights, you will need to be prepared to loose your rear fog light for this. I am unwilling to make a cable where the fog light bulb is used both for the Brake and the rear fog, that is really a safety hazard. If I provide the fog light as well, then in a fog when the rear fogs are ON and you hit the Brakes a driver behind you will need to watch only for the high mounted brake light and the fact that the LED rods become brighter, which may not be sufficient.
I follow your concern above. I guess (someone chime in if its not true) that rules out all the UK folks since having the rear fogs is a must and checked at MOT (UK annual inspection). I assume this since all imports (usually japanese) into the UK which may not have had factory rear fogs are usually seen with aftermarket rear foglights (usually only a single lamp on one side) to make them road legal. Are rear fogs not a must for the US too?

So perhaps the "safety hazard" (original Ricky Effect way) is indeed the only way to have the Ricky Effect in the UK (and elsewhere/US?).
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Rear fogs are not mandatory in US.

We don't even have it on our E60, or the 3 series. Over at e90post, they mod their light control module to have the fog switch, lol. Not sure about the 7.

Quick Reply: Checking Interest : PnP cable for the tail-light Ricky Effect