E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Check Engine Light On

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I didn't read your OBD codes before. I normally don't browse through all the posts....but Your problem is the camshaft position sensor buddy. You'll need to 1) reset adaption if you have the tool to do it (INPA) or 2) replace them and then hope it runs fine without resetting adaption. But ANYtime you work on a BMW, AUDI, VOLKS, SEAT, SKODA, VOLVO (im missing a few) you need to reset adaption values...Yep, even when you replace the valve cover gasket.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only should you of course not fill-up with your car running but never--never-- leave your key in the ignition when filling up. Can very often cause your check engine light to come on per my BMW advisers.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Blue Magic
So I checked every cap there is that I can see, still no luck, now I notice my car idles pretty rough, the rpm drops just a tad like its pulsating producing more vibration and seems like its about to stall, I'm a nervous wreck...
Don't worry. 99% sure it's the gas cap. Check the owner's manuel, there is a description somewhere. Only two reasons may cause the light to go on, according to the manuel. One is the firing order of the engine, the other is the gas cap. Mine has the same problem every now and then, every time it is after a fill up. Just tighten the gas cap or turn it around a bit. The light will go off in a day, or two.

But I do want to find out why the gas cap could cause such a problem. The gas cap only has 1/4 turn to play around with, and it is so difficult to be sure if it has been tightened correctly.
Anyone care to elaborate on this issue?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by Akita
Don't worry. 99% sure it's the gas cap. Check the owner's manuel, there is a description somewhere. Only two reasons may cause the light to go on, according to the manuel. One is the firing order of the engine, the other is the gas cap. Mine has the same problem every now and then, every time it is after a fill up. Just tighten the gas cap or turn it around a bit. The light will go off in a day, or two.

But I do want to find out why the gas cap could cause such a problem. The gas cap only has 1/4 turn to play around with, and it is so difficult to be sure if it has been tightened correctly.
Anyone care to elaborate on this issue?
99%? The OP is throwing codes, all of which have nothing to do with the gas cap. Besides, I know my car actually has a gas cap icon and the idrive will say something about checking the cap... is it not that way in other models? And regarding the 1/4 turn, it isn't necessarily the cap not being tight, but the seal under the cap. There is a bit of a gasket under the cap that must seal and when it gets old and worn it doesn't seal properly.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by netjazz
Not only should you of course not fill-up with your car running but never--never-- leave your key in the ignition when filling up. Can very often cause your check engine light to come on per my BMW advisers.
Ok. Thanks for the info. I really believe some person that probably drives a buick to work although BMW offers them an incentive program rather than my 10 years in 6 different beamers and the doing the same thing in each. I'd rather save my starter from starting so many times.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by AchtungE60

Ok. Thanks for the info. I really believe some person that probably drives a buick to work although BMW offers them an incentive program rather than my 10 years in 6 different beamers and the doing the same thing in each. I'd rather save my starter from starting so many times.
You really don?t need to be rude to other members of this forum. People here try to help each other. I agree 100% with netjazz, you should never refuel with the engine running. It is about safety, common sense and mechanical reasons.
For example: EVAP system is pressurizing fuel tank and all the lines while engine is running.
Wow! 6 different BMWs and looks like you never read owner?s manual (check page 182 + pix attached).
Definitely you are more experienced than BMW engineers and all the forum members that were trying to help you.
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light On-img-20111113-00274.jpg  
Old 11-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Members

I agree for different reasons that a driver should turn off their engine. Removing the keys should just be a habit in case of computer related problems. I had one customer get locked out of his car while at a red light due to an ECU malfuction. I am not sure why he got out in the first place and closed the door but that's what happened.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EUAutoHaus
I agree for different reasons that a driver should turn off their engine. Removing the keys should just be a habit in case of computer related problems. I had one customer get locked out of his car while at a red light due to an ECU malfuction. I am not sure why he got out in the first place and closed the door but that's what happened.
Hey! Nice to see you here finally!

Originally Posted by dawid_w
You really don?t need to be rude to other members of this forum. People here try to help each other. I agree 100% with netjazz, you should never refuel with the engine running. It is about safety, common sense and mechanical reasons.
For example: EVAP system is pressurizing fuel tank and all the lines while engine is running.
Wow! 6 different BMWs and looks like you never read owner?s manual (check page 182 + pix attached).
Definitely you are more experienced than BMW engineers and all the forum members that were trying to help you.
Good luck
I wasn't being rude.Sorry if I offended you. No, never read an owner's manual. not that type of guy. some things are common sense to me and I wonder how many people have read an owner's manual or do shut off their engines for a few minutes while refilling. Not an engineer, but i understand cars. And I can take almost any car apart and put it back together with ease because they're really all the same physically only the logical part differs. I never read the owner's manual for condoms either but I bet you some have. I never had to use one. I don't even know how to spell it! Maybe you want to run a poll on several things.