E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Check Engine Light On

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I finally got the OBD on and this is what I got...

OX2A99 (10905) 2A99 - Crankshaft-Exhaust Camshaft Correlation > Above Maximum Threshold

OX2A98 (10904) 2A98 - Crankshaft-Intake Camshaft Correlation > Above Maximum Threshold

OX2EF4 (12020) 2EF4 - Map Thermostat Mechanic, Invalid Signal

Please oh wise ones, teach this grasshoppa what this all means...haha. Is it bad? I want to keep my arms and legs...
Old 11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by Blue Magic
So I finally got the OBD on and this is what I got...

OX2A99 (10905) 2A99 - Crankshaft-Exhaust Camshaft Correlation > Above Maximum Threshold

OX2A98 (10904) 2A98 - Crankshaft-Intake Camshaft Correlation > Above Maximum Threshold

OX2EF4 (12020) 2EF4 - Map Thermostat Mechanic, Invalid Signal

Please oh wise ones, teach this grasshoppa what this all means...haha. Is it bad? I want to keep my arms and legs...
I would start with new thermostat. You don?t want to overheat the engine.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Members

easy fix if not damage done to the engine?? check water and engine oil make sure they all ok.don't worry it's only a car, your arm and leg a far more important than a bloody car, if you not had one arm and leg you couldn't drive at all
Old 11-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Members

Meaning I don't wanna pay an arm and a leg, if I can fix myself I'll risk my arms and legs...and back, haha...so thermostat is more crucial and need done right away?

Thanks

John
Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i: Silver Grey Metallic | Sports Package | | Cold Weather Package | Navigation | Tinted Windows | Adaptive Headlights | Heated rear seats| 166 rims| Matte black kidney grills| Interior: Angel Eyes, LED license plate bulbs, HID fogs, Interior LED

It might have something to do with you putting 91 grade gas rather than 93. I had that problem once and it didn't happen as long as I had 93 grade gas....
Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Originally Posted by Blue Magic
So I checked every cap there is that I can see, still no luck, now I notice my car idles pretty rough, the rpm drops just a tad like its pulsating producing more vibration and seems like its about to stall, I'm a nervous wreck...
Don't panic!

I had that happen a few weeks ago. Check my thread:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/118...4#entry1395644

Exact same symptom with the pulsing RPMs while idle. I attributed it to me filling up with the engine on, while it was really low on gas. Air probably got into the system and made the engine start to choke.

I also have a thermostat-related code, although mine seems more specific. Mine's stuck open, meaning there's no risk of the engine over heating... but the engine is also never going to reach proper operating temperature, meaning my MPGs are in the gutter right now.

For fixing the pulsing idle RPMs, drive around a bit, turn off the car. Wait 5 mins, turn it back on, let it idle and do it's pulsing for a bit. Drive, park, turn off, turn on, idle, drive.. repeat a few times. Wait several hours, then repeat.

After the several hours wait the pulsing was gone for me.

As for your thermostat code... Clear your codes (or have AutoZone clear them for you), and then come back a day or two later and see if anything is back.
For your camshaft codes.. if they continue to come back, check out this DIY I wrote up yesterday: https://5series.net/forums/topic/118...3#entry1397763
It may help, may not. Won't cost you anything beside some time.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by Bklyn545i
It might have something to do with you putting 91 grade gas rather than 93. I had that problem once and it didn't happen as long as I had 93 grade gas....
91 or 93... not sure that would make a difference... 87 and 91 yes. 87 and 93 yes. I am pretty sure our cars call for 91 or better.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Ricapar
Don't panic!

I had that happen a few weeks ago. Check my thread:
http://forums.5serie...44#entry1395644

Exact same symptom with the pulsing RPMs while idle. I attributed it to me filling up with the engine on, while it was really low on gas. Air probably got into the system and made the engine start to choke.

I also have a thermostat-related code, although mine seems more specific. Mine's stuck open, meaning there's no risk of the engine over heating... but the engine is also never going to reach proper operating temperature, meaning my MPGs are in the gutter right now.

For fixing the pulsing idle RPMs, drive around a bit, turn off the car. Wait 5 mins, turn it back on, let it idle and do it's pulsing for a bit. Drive, park, turn off, turn on, idle, drive.. repeat a few times. Wait several hours, then repeat.

After the several hours wait the pulsing was gone for me.

As for your thermostat code... Clear your codes (or have AutoZone clear them for you), and then come back a day or two later and see if anything is back.
For your camshaft codes.. if they continue to come back, check out this DIY I wrote up yesterday: http://forums.5serie...63#entry1397763
It may help, may not. Won't cost you anything beside some time.
This is a lot of shooting in the dark don't you think?

OP - everyone's scenario is different. Nothing in the world is identical, not even twins. just fix your car the correct way. First, everyone is telling you "opinions" when most ask about how to change an air filter or a spark plug. Personally I wouldn't listen to a person on buying a house when that person doesn't have a house or has never bought one. So my advice to you is to look at the problem for what it is...unknown. There are several possibilities related to your vehicle but you'll never know until you can read the proprietary codes. Not all OBDII readers are exactly the same either. If I were to spend money on a code reader I would bet a BMW specific reader or I would at least get a v-checker tool so you can see live data to determine what the issue is. The only downside is that you have to interpret all of these things such as a doctor would do for your health and if you're not good on engineering or mechanics of a vehicle then you might as well invest in some proprietary diagnostic tools.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Members

Why would anyone fill up gas with their car still on?

If there is anything the gas pumps have plastered all over them is, #1 don't smoke, #2 make sure your engine is off.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by bpg535i
Why would anyone fill up gas with their car still on?

If there is anything the gas pumps have plastered all over them is, #1 don't smoke, #2 make sure your engine is off.
Why not? The smoking I can understand fully. In fact sometimes I see people smoking and talking on the phone and I won't even start to fill up. I'll just head to another station...but why should you need to shut the car off? Every country I have been to I have never seen a person shut their car off...well actually a few did in brasil but they were running on ethanol so that doesn't count because of ethanol properties but I don't see a reason. Can you explain why it is recommended or unsafe?

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light On