E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Changed Plugs @ 70k....SHEEESH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by infin8
Thats whats up man. Nice job to tackle all that on your own. So the real question is do you notice a difference in the car due to changing the plugs?? More accelleration or no difference? Better gas mileage or same as before?More responsive in DS and M modes or no diff.? My '07 530i Sport Auto is getting less gas mileage than it used to by about 3-4 miles per gallon and it's defintely lost some get up and go! I'm thinking my sparks need to be changed and I'm hoping that will get my boy back to his previous glory. Can you help a brotha out and do a quick DIY writeup/guide so I don't have any hiccups? Also what spark plug did you source and how much did you pay per plug? Thanks man and btw your ride is looking good. What did you ever decide to do about your caliper paint? I'm thinking about doing mine.
What's goin on bro?... Thanks I'm just got tired of paying for work I know I could do myself. I haven't seen a difference in gas mileage yet haven't really driven. I don't have all those modes n I haven't taken dsc off completely to check. Over all car definitely just feels smoother I just had hit 70k and felt like the car was feeling rough. Now that everything is changed it feels seem less and definitely quieter. Tranny feels great in downshifts and isn't noisy when I changed that fluid it was literally BLACK so I'm glad I did that. Diff look brown some say it doesn't need changing but I did it anyway and will do it again to each its own fluid was only $30 for diff. Oil I've been using liqui moly decides i'll try MOTUL car seems quitier with this oil (only time will tell) but the liqui was in there for 8k i usually have it done at 5k but i was waiting to do everything. If I were you I'd changed the plugs and see what happens it can't hurt. I used guides that I found on here if you check the thread I created https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...please-127617/ I used the three links one of the members posted I already had them on my comp saved. Also in that thread is a link to the plugs I got off amazon for a little over $20 after rebate which I just sent in, shout out to Bimmerfan for the link its good until Dec. 31st. Bottom line my car feels "GREAT" it wasn't bad before but I love it. Plugs were easier then I thought they would be just have to have the right tools. Idk yet with the calipers I figure ill decide before the weather breaks again I don't know what the winter will bring so I'm not going to deal with it now. Probably use the duplicolor again if i know I won't need a brake change that's the only time I had a problem with it never chipped before that painting the calipers with a brush vs aerosol can I'd rather spray that's just me though. But if I conclude the G2 is that good maybe I'll try it.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Quick question... what are bad vanos symptoms? I have a brief rattle on drivers side of my engine definitely towards the front under black cover at start up for about 5-10 seconds. I know it isnt normal but car doesnt seem to have any problem. (n62 engine)
Give this a read. I have a bit of a rattle as well.
Looks like i Finally discovered BMW V8 secret!!! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
A VANOS isn't located where you hear rattle anyway.
Aren't number 4 and 5 on both sides VANOS adjustment units?

Last edited by 545iMike; 12-04-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by 545iMike
Give this a read. I have a bit of a rattle as well.
Looks like i Finally discovered BMW V8 secret!!! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Aren't number 4 and 5 on both sides VANOS adjustment units?
Thanks for the info... I wouldnt say I have hesitation but I definitely have brief shake and rattle on a cold start like some explained. So is this a DIY type of thing or has to be done by a indy. Also is it just new seals or like someone mentioned the solenoids just need to be cleaned. Does look like a labor intensive job from that one PDF attached in thread.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

At the end of the thread someone is claiming that the vanos adjusters have to be replaced all together because they are not the same design as the ones with the rubber seal. So it looks like, also because they don't make just the replacement seal, that the whole unit has to be replaced (x4). For me its just something I'm going to live with for now. Like said in the thread there's no error codes being thrown and not many reports of these things in n62's failing yet. Its a lot of money and/or labor for something that's not a concrete fix. I'll keep my eye on that post and 7-series forums because it more likely to be common on an older 7-series with the n62 first.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

OMG the post above reminds me of the Audi S4 nightmare. But the timing is at the back so you have to disassemble the entire front end, support frame struts, wheel carriers and everthing else and slide the engine right out of the front just to work on it. Pain in the ARSE. Let me find Gor and post up a vid he did on it...........

here it is, not the S4 but you get the point. He didn't show sliding it out but @ 2:00 he shows the reverse....sliding back in. LOL
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
OMG the post above reminds me of the Audi S4 nightmare. But the timing is at the back so you have to disassemble the entire front end, support frame struts, wheel carriers and everthing else and slide the engine right out of the front just to work on it. Pain in the ARSE. Let me find Gor and post up a vid he did on it...........

here it is, not the S4 but you get the point. He didn't show sliding it out but @ 2:00 he shows the reverse....sliding back in. LOL
2000 Audi A6 V8 4.2L. ENGINE REBUILD WWW.ROYALAUTO-SERVICE.COM - YouTube
And this is the MAIN reason I didnt buy an S4 when shopping for a replacement car, and why the 530 ended up in my driweway. BUT I love the S4 and almost convinced myself to get one.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

The car can pull though. AMAZING.