E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed Plugs @ 70k....SHEEESH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default Changed Plugs @ 70k....SHEEESH!!!

Did some maintenance today plugs, oil change, diff and tranny flluid. Just thought I would share this is what came out of the engine at 70k. Im glad I changed em shouldve done it sooner. 100,000 miles my ass...
Attached Thumbnails Changed Plugs @ 70k....SHEEESH!!!-img_0793.jpg   Changed Plugs @ 70k....SHEEESH!!!-img_0800.jpg   Changed Plugs @ 70k....SHEEESH!!!-img_0801.jpg  
Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See signature

I had a coil go bad at around 73000. When my indy replaced it he also replaced all the plugs.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:36 PM
New Members

i just bought a 2006 with 80k miles is there anything i should do ?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

That's nothing at 70K I've seen them twice as worse. I change mine every 30K.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by e60530
i just bought a 2006 with 80k miles is there anything i should do ?
Im not an expert but I would say coolant flush, diff fluid, plugs and tranny fluid if its a manual. Ive "read" that with automatics changing the tranny fluid late in the game can do more harm then good. Pretty sure someone else will chime in after reading this post though. Anything Im not sure Im a if it aint broke dont fix it type of person besides basic maintenance.

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Thats crazy...They looked pretty bad to me glad I got it done though. Jobs was fairly easy I was hesitant but once I dug in it was complicated just takes patience.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Senior Members

e60530 -

It depends. if you have an auto, within the next 10K miles is perfect to change transmission fluid/pan/filter. Go to DIY section. Pentosin ATF +1 works great. I did mine around 95K.

You should have changed spark plugs already.
Forget differential fluid, not needed.
You can do a coolant flush if you want but not necessarily needed unless you have an issue. Mine is 2004 and I'm still on original fluid mine the liter that I've added over the years due to small leak at the temp sensor o-ring.
Check your suspension bushings in the front and ball joints.
And as stated...............fix as things come up.

Some people are different. I own 3 bimmers and have owned about 7 or 8 or 9...I lost count. Yes, preventative maintenance is good but a FULL preventative maintenance doesn't prevent anything actually besides keeping your pocket from having a hole in it.
I'm a 2004 on all radiator original parts, water pump, alternator...pretty much everything besides window mouldings,suspension bushings, air filters, plugs, valve gasket and a permenant DISA fix...oh and I had some upgrades Vanos seals laying around so I did those too.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

e60530 -

It depends. if you have an auto, within the next 10K miles is perfect to change transmission fluid/pan/filter. Go to DIY section. Pentosin ATF +1 works great. I did mine around 95K.

You should have changed spark plugs already.
Forget differential fluid, not needed.
You can do a coolant flush if you want but not necessarily needed unless you have an issue. Mine is 2004 and I'm still on original fluid mine the liter that I've added over the years due to small leak at the temp sensor o-ring.
Check your suspension bushings in the front and ball joints.
And as stated...............fix as things come up.

Some people are different. I own 3 bimmers and have owned about 7 or 8 or 9...I lost count. Yes, preventative maintenance is good but a FULL preventative maintenance doesn't prevent anything actually besides keeping your pocket from having a hole in it.
I'm a 2004 on all radiator original parts, water pump, alternator...pretty much everything besides window mouldings,suspension bushings, air filters, plugs, valve gasket and a permenant DISA fix...oh and I had some upgrades Vanos seals laying around so I did those too.
Quick question... what are bad vanos symptoms? I have a brief rattle on drivers side of my engine definitely towards the front under black cover at start up for about 5-10 seconds. I know it isnt normal but car doesnt seem to have any problem. (n62 engine)
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

A VANOS isn't located where you hear rattle anyway.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Quick question... what are bad vanos symptoms? I have a brief rattle on drivers side of my engine definitely towards the front under black cover at start up for about 5-10 seconds. I know it isnt normal but car doesnt seem to have any problem. (n62 engine)

Thats whats up man. Nice job to tackle all that on your own. So the real question is do you notice a difference in the car due to changing the plugs?? More accelleration or no difference? Better gas mileage or same as before?More responsive in DS and M modes or no diff.? My '07 530i Sport Auto is getting less gas mileage than it used to by about 3-4 miles per gallon and it's defintely lost some get up and go! I'm thinking my sparks need to be changed and I'm hoping that will get my boy back to his previous glory. Can you help a brotha out and do a quick DIY writeup/guide so I don't have any hiccups? Also what spark plug did you source and how much did you pay per plug? Thanks man and btw your ride is looking good. What did you ever decide to do about your caliper paint? I'm thinking about doing mine.

Last edited by infin8; 12-04-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: left out some info on my make/model

Quick Reply: Changed Plugs @ 70k....SHEEESH!!!