E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD Player problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I put my CD into the single CD player (no navi) it sounds like its reading it but doesnt play. The radio works fine. Is there any advice as to what I can do to possibly make it work, maybe cleaning it or is this a known problem? etc After it stopped playing, I put a CD in and it started playing, but after I turned the car off/on it stopped working again.

thx guys
Old 08-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

It seems as if your cd player is malfunctioning. Are you using a professionally created disk or a rewritable one with music on it? Might try a few professional ones then a rewritable one if that is the issue. If not your unit sounds like it is on its way out.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
It seems as if your cd player is malfunctioning. Are you using a professionally created disk or a rewritable one with music on it? Might try a few professional ones then a rewritable one if that is the issue. If not your unit sounds like it is on its way out.
Anyone know how difficult/easy cd players are to change. Mine is useless at playing cdr's. I'm using high quality discs burned on pro audio software. Player has a real hard time recognizing discs, hit and miss.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60525
Every time I put my CD into the single CD player (no navi) it sounds like its reading it but doesnt play. The radio works fine. Is there any advice as to what I can do to possibly make it work, maybe cleaning it or is this a known problem? etc After it stopped playing, I put a CD in and it started playing, but after I turned the car off/on it stopped working again.
thx guys
Are you trying to play an original CD or one you burned?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Members

I am playing burned CD's and have been for a long while. The CD player tends to work on certain days and other days it just simply doesnt work. I will try putting in some store bought CD's see if makes a difference
Old 08-07-2012, 12:05 AM
New Members

I absolutely liked reading all that is written on your blog.Keep the tips coming. I loved it!

pso2 RMT
REDSTONE RMT
CABAL RMT
????????? RMT
???? RMT
Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 530i M Sport N52

i had the same thing happen right after i bought my car 2 years ago. i bought it from an indy dealer but hey still had to replace the disc transport/drive mechanism. i collected it myself from the guys that fitted it and the shop owner said that long term use of 'burned' discs as opposed to originals could damage the cd player. seems it was an easy fix though, the part was an off the shelf item easily obtained. hope that helps.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

Originally Posted by mercutio
i had the same thing happen right after i bought my car 2 years ago. i bought it from an indy dealer but hey still had to replace the disc transport/drive mechanism. i collected it myself from the guys that fitted it and the shop owner said that long term use of 'burned' discs as opposed to originals could damage the cd player. seems it was an easy fix though, the part was an off the shelf item easily obtained. hope that helps.
I wonder why that is? I have been using self burned and pro cd's for the last 7 years on the original single cd slot and changer without issue. Is there a reason why self burned cd's would harm the player?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rrnag30
I wonder why that is? I have been using self burned and pro cd's for the last 7 years on the original single cd slot and changer without issue. Is there a reason why self burned cd's would harm the player?
I've been playing cd's I've burned in 3 of my (current) cars - one has an in-dash multi-disc player (Toyota) ... one has a 6 cd changer in trunk (BMW Z3) and my e60. I've not had a single CD Changer / Drive failure. Before these cars I played burned copies in my e32 and e38 740s - for more than 5 years each. I was a road warrior back then putting 50K+ miles/year ... all the while w/o a single CD drive failure. (I wish I could say the BMW radiators were as trouble free )

I don't know what audiophile expert is saying self-burned cd's would kill a player but it certainly hasn't been my experience.