E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

cd in dvd drive mp3

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Apr 14 2005, 08:45 PM
Rudy, the way I understand it is that the drive just reads the data on a disk. That information is passed as digital information back to the controller for the device ( I Drive or Home PC ). It is up to the controller to have software to read and interpret the various file types that are on a disk. I find it hard to believe that the drive itself is unable to read those files since every drive from (floppy, cd, dvd, etc.)? even the $2.00 ones are able to read MP3 files, you just can not actually play them if you do not have the software to interpret that info.

Make sence?
[snapback]115578[/snapback]
What you say makes perfect sense but I'm not sure it's accurate.

When you first insert a disc in a player, it spins it up quickly to determine what type it is, etc. For example, an audio CD will spin up then back down so that the player can read how many tracks, the total time, etc. on the disc. I'm pretty sure that this is done at the hardware level. My assumption is that the hardware has to "know" about the format of an MP3 disc (essentially a data disc, not an audio disc) before it can read the information on it and pass it on to whatever software is down the line. So the hardware sort of has it's own initial test to determine if it can even read the disc (due to an incompatible format or just a damaged disc.)

Again, I'm not sure about this, it's just what I'm guessing. For sure one of us has it down...
Old 04-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by pmmeke' date='Apr 14 2005, 04:38 PM
[quote name='skipper' date='Apr 15 2005, 12:30 AM']Most likely since the restriction of playing mp3s is the software and not the drive. Yuo should be able to play mp3s in the DVD drive just as you can play cds in there now. That would be great since you can get a ton of mp3s on a dvd.
[snapback]115538[/snapback]

ok so i guess it s not possibel to have the dvd in the memory , unloading it , put a cd in and still have navigation like in some other car models?

So if the dvd is out does that automaticly mean no navigation anymore yes?

Some other cars you can unload the dvd and still have nav , thats why i ask
[snapback]115541[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have not tried it myself but I have read somewhere that once you have introduced the destination you can take the Nav-DVD out of the slot and use the slot for other purposes.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 15 2005, 07:51 AM
[quote name='skipper' date='Apr 14 2005, 08:45 PM']Rudy, the way I understand it is that the drive just reads the data on a disk. That information is passed as digital information back to the controller for the device ( I Drive or Home PC ). It is up to the controller to have software to read and interpret the various file types that are on a disk. I find it hard to believe that the drive itself is unable to read those files since every drive from (floppy, cd, dvd, etc.)? even the $2.00 ones are able to read MP3 files, you just can not actually play them if you do not have the software to interpret that info.

Make sence?
[snapback]115578[/snapback]
What you say makes perfect sense but I'm not sure it's accurate.

When you first insert a disc in a player, it spins it up quickly to determine what type it is, etc. For example, an audio CD will spin up then back down so that the player can read how many tracks, the total time, etc. on the disc. I'm pretty sure that this is done at the hardware level. My assumption is that the hardware has to "know" about the format of an MP3 disc (essentially a data disc, not an audio disc) before it can read the information on it and pass it on to whatever software is down the line. So the hardware sort of has it's own initial test to determine if it can even read the disc (due to an incompatible format or just a damaged disc.)

Again, I'm not sure about this, it's just what I'm guessing. For sure one of us has it down...
[snapback]115711[/snapback]
[/quote]

When it does the spin up it is passing the data to the computer. Just like your home computer. If you put a cd in the drive and it had a divix movie on it, and you do not have the divix decoder it will not be recognized and not played. As soon as you install the divix decoder (on your computer) it will be recognized and played.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on black. 6spd MT, Nav, sports package.

One thing i have noticed, is that the dash CD drive is able to read CD Text and the changer cannon.. I guess this means that the CD drive in the dash is capable of a little more than just play CD's.

Hopefully we will be able to use it for mp3's. It will be like having a whole another changer.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

It's not the format what is in disc, it's the media what disc is (CDr or rw, DVD-r,+r,-rw or +rw) if we speak computer CD/DVD drives. IF iDrive if full capable Windows CE computer it should not be a problem to make it understand e.g. DivX if needed.

Skaffa

ps
too many if's