E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

cd in dvd drive mp3

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found out i can play cd on the dvd drive in front. I did not know that. I have a extra cd loader aboven the dvd drive. Cool.

Most of you guys probably know this but for me it was a new one

question: if the new software makes us abel to play mp3 does that mean on both cd drive and dvd drive or just on the cd drive ?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

Most likely since the restriction of playing mp3s is the software and not the drive. Yuo should be able to play mp3s in the DVD drive just as you can play cds in there now. That would be great since you can get a ton of mp3s on a dvd.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Apr 15 2005, 12:30 AM
Most likely since the restriction of playing mp3s is the software and not the drive. Yuo should be able to play mp3s in the DVD drive just as you can play cds in there now. That would be great since you can get a ton of mp3s on a dvd.
[snapback]115538[/snapback]

ok so i guess it s not possibel to have the dvd in the memory , unloading it , put a cd in and still have navigation like in some other car models?

So if the dvd is out does that automaticly mean no navigation anymore yes?

Some other cars you can unload the dvd and still have nav , thats why i ask
Old 04-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pmmeke' date='Apr 14 2005, 05:38 PM
[quote name='skipper' date='Apr 15 2005, 12:30 AM']Most likely since the restriction of playing mp3s is the software and not the drive. Yuo should be able to play mp3s in the DVD drive just as you can play cds in there now. That would be great since you can get a ton of mp3s on a dvd.

ok so i guess it s not possibel to have the dvd in the memory , unloading it , put a cd in and still have navigation like in some other car models?

So if the dvd is out does that automaticly mean no navigation anymore yes?

Some other cars you can unload the dvd and still have nav , thats why i ask
[snapback]115541[/snapback]
[/quote]

DVD must be in drive for Nav to work. Since 90% of the time most people are familiar with their routes of travel, it is not an issue to not have the DVD in the drive.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Apr 14 2005, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure that the issue is strictly software. Isn't it true that the MP3 playback is supposed to work in the in-dash drive and not the glove-box changer?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 14 2005, 07:40 PM
[quote name='skipper' date='Apr 14 2005, 06:30 PM']Most likely since the restriction of playing mp3s is the software and not the drive. Yuo should be able to play mp3s in the DVD drive just as you can play cds in there now. That would be great since you can get a ton of mp3s on a dvd.
I'm not sure that the issue is strictly software. Isn't it true that the MP3 playback is supposed to work in the in-dash drive and not the glove-box changer?
[snapback]115577[/snapback]
[/quote]

Rudy, the way I understand it is that the drive just reads the data on a disk. That information is passed as digital information back to the controller for the device ( I Drive or Home PC ). It is up to the controller to have software to read and interpret the various file types that are on a disk. I find it hard to believe that the drive itself is unable to read those files since every drive from (floppy, cd, dvd, etc.) even the $2.00 ones are able to read MP3 files, you just can not actually play them if you do not have the software to interpret that info.

Make sence?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:53 PM
MEX
Senior Members

just remember the new software can get the stereo to play mp3 only on cars that don't have NAV, for mp3 playback on nav cars you'll have to wait a few more months
Old 04-15-2005, 01:29 AM
Members

My Ride: Currently in a 2003 e46 M3 Cab Waiting to get a 535d Sport with individual and all the extras...

If they allow us to use DVD discs with MP3s in the Nav drive I will be sooo happy - that would utterly be the best solution for me
Old 04-15-2005, 01:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Apr 15 2005, 02:45 AM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Apr 14 2005, 07:40 PM'][quote name='skipper' date='Apr 14 2005, 06:30 PM']Most likely since the restriction of playing mp3s is the software and not the drive. Yuo should be able to play mp3s in the DVD drive just as you can play cds in there now. That would be great since you can get a ton of mp3s on a dvd.
[/quote]

Rudy, the way I understand it is that the drive just reads the data on a disk. That information is passed as digital information back to the controller for the device ( I Drive or Home PC ).
[snapback]115578[/snapback]
[/quote]

It is almost certain the DVD Navigation drive is connected to the "computer" as it would in a PC. If the CD drive can do MP3, then it is also certainly the case as well.

The changer, however, used to be connected to the iBus for CONTROL and using analog output for audio. Today with MOST or whatever it is called I believe they could implement the file system over it, but it is a lot more complex, and very likely MOST in only used for control and maybe for digital audio. So unless the changer itself can understand MP3 CDs, it would not work, because even though you have a computer capable of understanding MP3 files, connected to a drive perfectly capable of reading the file system, the FILE SYSTEM itself is not exposed over the connection.

Not sure it is very clear, I hope it kind of makes sense...

Fred
Old 04-15-2005, 04:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Swiss535d' date='Apr 15 2005, 11:51 AM
[quote name='skipper' date='Apr 15 2005, 02:45 AM'][quote name='Rudy' date='Apr 14 2005, 07:40 PM'][quote name='skipper' date='Apr 14 2005, 06:30 PM']Most likely since the restriction of playing mp3s is the software and not the drive. Yuo should be able to play mp3s in the DVD drive just as you can play cds in there now. That would be great since you can get a ton of mp3s on a dvd.
[/quote]

Rudy, the way I understand it is that the drive just reads the data on a disk. That information is passed as digital information back to the controller for the device ( I Drive or Home PC ).
[snapback]115578[/snapback]
[/quote]

It is almost certain the DVD Navigation drive is connected to the "computer" as it would in a PC. If the CD drive can do MP3, then it is also certainly the case as well.

The changer, however, used to be connected to the iBus for CONTROL and using analog output for audio. Today with MOST or whatever it is called I believe they could implement the file system over it, but it is a lot more complex, and very likely MOST in only used for control and maybe for digital audio. So unless the changer itself can understand MP3 CDs, it would not work, because even though you have a computer capable of understanding MP3 files, connected to a drive perfectly capable of reading the file system, the FILE SYSTEM itself is not exposed over the connection.

Not sure it is very clear, I hope it kind of makes sense...

Fred
[snapback]115677[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have logic7 cd changer and dvd drive and cd drive. Do you think the cd changer
is connected with fiberoptics now or just ibus. Do you think there is a difference in sound if its only ibus connected now? I dont hear much difference in sound between cd drive and cd changer now.

Quick Reply: cd in dvd drive mp3